I like what I like. Period.

Years ago, when I met PG, he was a bachelor boy living in a second floor apartment above his dad and step-mom's home. He was as independent (as much as living in a second floor apartment above your parents home) as can be. He was young. And he was . . . troubled.

I say this, because I very clearly remember opening his kitchen cabinet one visit, and seeing the unthinkable. Talking about this now is kind of hard for me. So, please bear with me.

His cabinet was stocked with what had to have been 6 EXTRA LARGE (purchased from a warehouse club, like Costco) jars of . . . Miracle Whip.


Gasp!!!!

AAAAAAAAA!!!!

THE HORROR!!!!

It's amazing to me that we ever fell in love.

Because,  my dears, I am a Hellmann's Girl. Always have been. Always will. I mean, I ask you . . . is there really any question as to which it the better mayo? Seriously.

PG swears, to this day, that the Miracle Whip belonged to his room mate. To me, it's just as bad as if it belonged to him. Because a TRUE Hellman's Mayonnaise lover would NEVER allow Miracle Whip to rest in their cupboard. Never.

Fast forward to present day.

PG has converted to the RIGHT SIDE (the Hellmann's side). And while we don't really use mayonnaise that often in our home, there is an occasional need to have it on hand. When we need it, we ALWAYS have Hellmann's. That was, until PG arrived home from Costco a few weeks ago with . . . this . . .
 I mean . . . seriously. . . where have I gone wrong? Will he ever learn?

"What is this??" I asked him, still in shock from the purchase.

"Honey, it's Kirkland Mayo," he answered. "You wouldn't believe how cheap it was! Hellmann's was like, $6.99 for a big jar. This was only $3.99!"

'HELLOOO!!!! There is a REASON it's only $3.99, honey,' was what I really wanted to say. Instead, I said, "Well, I really prefer Hellmann's."

"Yeah," he said, "but this was only $3.99. This will last us much longer, too."

'YEAH, because it will taste like p**p!' was what I really wanted to say.

Yesterday, I made a delicious chicken salad with wheat pasta, red grapes and celery. It's a favorite summer dish of ours. The dressing is mayonnaise. And I had to use . . . the Kirkland Mayonnaise.

My friends . . . it kind of tasted like . . . MIRACLE WHIP. PG said the salad was delicious. And me? I LIKE what I LIKE. Period.

Tomorrow I'm going to the store. The first thing on my list . . . HELLMANN'S.

Are you a Hellmann's Girl, too? Leave me a comment and tell me. I promise I won't think ill of you . . . ;)

Comments

  1. Dave and PG will get along just fine;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute story! Neither hubs or I like mayo but we have had this issue with cheese- I hate Kraft American-- its just not real cheese! Send him to the store and what does he come home with? You guessed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, I know you already have concerns that I don't like Counting Crows, but I'll have to tell you I don't really like mayo or miracle whip at all. Never have. I have always had...are you sitting? margarine on my sandwiches. Really. Don't judge. I accept your Hellman's and I will have some on hand in case of an emergency where, you never know, when you might pop over and need an emergency sandwich. I'll have you covered. That's what friends do. Yep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leanne, first things first...
    We need to let PG know that Miracle Whip is NOT mayonaisse. Note the label...it says "salad dressing".
    That being said...I get your point. I grew up in a Miracle Whip household and although I do not like either MW or Mayo on my sandwich (I'm a butter or cheese person) and will not have any of those "salads" made with either item, I do know that there are different camps on the subject.
    But the "I like what I like" statement HAS been uttered a number of times in my household as well. ALWAYS from my lips. What will we do with our PGs???

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEWWWWWW!!!!! I'm grossed out by the Miracle Whip-tasting chicken salad that you made yesterday. And because we are related, you already know my answer (M-A-Y-O ALL THE WAY, BABY!) But I will never really understand PK's and CE's love of butter or margarine on their sammiches. Girls, you will have to explain that to me one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hellman's Forever!!! My son (age 47) says my mayo-habit is why he doesn't like any kind of mayo/salad dressing today...I guess I put it on everything when he was young! Who knew? Nothing can touch Hellman's...delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never even heard of the other two brands!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's Hellman's all the way...just like it has to be Heinz ketchup! On this front hubby and I are united :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As far as I'm concerned Miracle Whip is a dirty word..Unfortunately the husband LOVES that nasty stuff so I keep some in the fridge for him.

    Mayo all the way, Although I'm a fan of the Best Foods brand, but Hellman's works for me as well!

    Funny you wrote about this, I did a similar post called: A House Divided

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could make your own mayonnaise. It's so easy!

    But then again, why bother when you have Kirkland's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL Miracle Whip is Salad Dressing isn't it? My ex wouldn't eat Mayo to save his life, he was an avid MW eater, which doesn't work as well in things such as potato salad. Now that I'm back in Cajun Country, my hubby and I are Mayo eaters, but I buy Kraft (I think it's Kraft, it's made with olive oil)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! My hubs love Miracle Whip too. Sadness.

    When I was a pre-teen, there was an unopened jar of mayo and an open jar of Miracle Whip on the buffet table at a family gathering. I asked my dad to open the mayo and he said "Just use the open jar! You can't even tell the difference!" WELL. My mother (smart woman that she is) stood up for me, and we ended up with a blind taste test that the entire family gathered to watch. Sure enough, I got my mayonnaise! :)

    Oh, and here on the West Coast, it's Best Foods Mayonnaise... and it is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH NO. NOOOOO.... The one thing I hate and gag about is - MAYO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

    This just might drive a wedge thru our blog friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hilarious! Hellman's all the way! It's worth the extra dollars for SURE! My potato salad wouldn't be edible with out Hellman's!!!!!!!!!!!! We buy it in bulk at Sams. They sell BIG jars! Yippie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!