It's a first ... meet my Art Journal

Well, it appears I'm spreading my wings and cooking up lots of new creative projects this week . . . all with the help of my dearest friends. On Wednesday, my cellar chum Cindi from "So That's Why" came over with her kids and we played and played all day long (well . . . Cindi and I played, and the kids just hung out.)

Cindi is a genius at the whole Art Journal thing, and sitting with her totally inspires me to DO IT . . . (I guess her giving me a journal and the gesso and practically placing the paint brush in my hand is what I needed to get off my bootie and stop saying, "Oh, I really want to do this, but . . . ") It took me a little while to get started, but here is my very first real live Art Journal.  

First, the cover:
I have to say, I LOVE how the cover turned out. I think my signature colors right now (in my art, in my journals, in my kitchen and bedroom, and in my wardrobe) are robbins egg blue and brown. I just love the combination . . . it makes me HAPPY. Here is another look at the cover: 

The first real page I did was this one below - and the subject came directly from my realization this week that I can't make everyone happy, and from my desire to surrender to the ME that I want to be. I had a vision of holding my hands up in the air, towards the sun, and letting it all go . . .
I think I want to Mod Podge the whole page. I think Mod-Podge is my new best friend. As a matter of fact, I want to mod-podge EVERYTHING right now . . . my dollar bills, the phone book, my sheets (ok, I'm kidding about the sheets.) But this page is definitely calling for some podge!

The next two pages are not complete and still need some work done to them. Cindi challenged me by teaching me some painting techniques for the pages, and I was just experimenting and getting colors and textures on the pages. I have some quotes I want to add to both of these, and can't wait to sit down and do some more work on them.
The whole process of starting this journal was emotional. I had to learn to put my guard down, let the dishes stack up (never realized how much messy kitchen can make me uninspired), and not worry about what the finish product was. Cindi taught me that it's ok to leave things for later. If you don't "feel" the page right now - move on. You don't have to force yourself to be miserable while creating. Simple things, I know, but things that I struggled with.

So, here is a new way of creating . . . Art Journal style. I'm excited. I'm stepping outside of my comfort zone and doing something totally different. And I'm having fun.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow may bring!!


Comments

  1. I LOVE it, Leanne!! So happy you are now Art Journaling. Seriously...I have found a way to clear my mind and make goals and create with my journal. Just combines everything I LOVE!!! Your cover is amazing as well as your first finished page and the two you have working. You will become addicted!!!!!

    Wish I was there with you, too.

    I sure do need some close friends here to "play" with:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely have talent my friend. What a lovely way to express what you're feeling.
    I've dived madly into my scrapbooking and even made a photobook about my blessings. It makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY nice! I wish I hadn't thrown mine away now, darn it! :-) I love your first page. I wish I lived closer...I could take the evening play shift, since the day shift seems to be covered! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cellar crowd...they can get you hooked into all kinds of things!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that lavender page. It's such a happy color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you let me tell you to do things, lol! You are art! Can't wait to see what else you make, and I'm so glad you had fun! Yay!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!