2012 Word Review: Courage


As we approach the end of July (WHAT?!?! Did I just say "approach the end of JULY?!" What in the world happened to the first 7 months of this year?) . . . I digress . . . eh-hem . . . As we approach the end of July, I find it a fitting time to review and take inventory on our Word of the Year thus far. Remember that whole "Word of the Year" thing that I write about, or have written about, for many years now? (Click here if you need to be reminded.)

Yes, the Word of the Year. Again, the whole idea originates from Scrapbook extraordinaire Ali Edwards, who reminds us that, "One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities." My dear friend, Mary (my beloved Food Floozie) actually reminded me of our words while visiting last month. As we strolled through the amazing galleries at the Art Institute of Chicago, she brought up the subject of our words. At first, I felt my stomach sink . . . can it be, had I forgotten my word? No, no . . . I knew what my word for 2012 was. But Mary's mention of this whole world idea truly made me realize that while I knew my word . . . I had completely forgotten to LIVE my word this year.

Or, had I?
2012
cour·age 
1. the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger,
pain, etc., without fear; bravery.
2. Obsolete . the heart as the source of emotion.

Yes, that's it. Courage.

And I think I'm doing pretty well with it this year.

Am I following it as much as I could? Of course not.

But am I being brave . . . most definitely.

I rode on the ski lift at a festival in Milwaukee last week. That's a photo of me doing just that above. Ella was my brave partner, and she was completely and totally fearless while waiting in line. Me? I was a mess. I asked three of the employees if it would hold me, if I would be safe, and if they thought I could do it. Yes, I needed confirmation from three different employees of the ride. Each assured me that I would be just fine. And, I was. I was scared half to death as I quickly hopped on, and screamed a little (ok, I screamed . . . a lot). But as soon as I felt safe, I began to breathe and took a long look at everything around me. It was exhilarating. I felt like I was wearing wings . . . beautiful wings . . . and I was flying.

To so many of you, this may seem like nothing. But to me . . . it was pretty awesome. I am not a person who usually participates in things like this (ski lifts, that is.) But I remembered my "courage", and knew I had to do it. I'm so glad I did.

A day later, I went down the longest green slide at the water park we were visiting. I've not been a water slide goer for ... well, forever. But the girls were having such fun, and they encouraged me. Again, I was driven by the courage from within.

I've done other things this year, too, to live my word. I'm standing up for myself and I'm trying to take care of myself. This has taken more courage than I ever imagined. I'm not letting others tell me what I should be doing. I'm saying "no" more, and saying "yes" when I want. To some people, this may be some sort of "kick" or phase I've been going through . . . but to me, it's been a life change to actually start listening to those little voices inside my head. I think I became so tired of trying to make sure everyone else was happy - realizing that 1) you can never make others happy and 2) that I myself was miserable. It's been a hard process, but I'm feeling so proud of the courage it has taken for me to stand up and walk away. I'm a better person for it.

Creatively, I haven't done as much as I have wished with courage  ... but the year is not over. I am feeling a great resurgence of my creative spirit in days of late, and I am confident that my courage will prevail.

So, that's me and my word at this point of the year.

I'm wondering about all of you. Did you choose a word for 2012? I know a number of you did (Leslie, Mary, Peggy, Nicole) . . . how are YOU doing with your word? Leave me a comment. I'd love to know.

Comments

  1. You have shown TREMENDOUS courage this year! Not just in riding this gizmo (which horrifies me even just to contemplate!); but in living YOUR life. Delving into art not just as a creative venue but sharing your gorgeous creations with the world, so we may all see your artwork and be blessed and enobled by it. By staking a claim to YOUR life, regardless of others' opinions ('nuff said, you know what I mean!). By taking this time with your beautiful girls and forging out into the world with them, making the very most of an opportunity that only seemed like a loss when it was first presented to you. By going new places, trying new things, meeting new people (at the south lion ...). Every single day presents you with an opportunity to use your courage - some larger, some smaller. But you have done it!!!

    As for me, I may write a post about it, so as not to take up the rest of your commenting space ... :) Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, you are so courageous... you are definitely living your word this year! Your inner strength keeps shining through and will take you to even greater heights this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are TOTALLY alike when it comes to the whole ski lift thing, Oh my heck!! I hate them!:) Em talked me into going on one at the zoo in May....I was scared to death and YES I asked everyone if it was all gonna be ok. TOO FUNNY:)

    I love your courage and can I say that I believe you have shown so much courage since the day I stumbled upon your blog several years ago.;)

    My word is Story and I have thought about it so much. I need to blog about it don't I?? Great inspiration to do just that. Thanks friend!!

    Love,
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Lord, I am no good at remembering my word of the year! I honestly can't even remember if I thought of one this year? I know I thought about thinking of one, but don't think I ever really thought of one, you know? But I love how you are living your courage . That whole accepting you can't make anyone else happy and realizing you need to take better care of you is big. You go, girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are sooooooo brave. You chose (in my humble opionion) to do one of the bravest things a person can do - and that's chose your dream over opportunities to be in a safe place (ex - the other job.) You give me hope. You inspire me. You need to know this. As for my word - Momentum.. ahhh.. holding tight and moving forward. I fixed what was broken and I am better for it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So ironic that I'm reading this post this morning. I thought of my word just yesterday and thought that I might have chosen the wrong word because it's not as upfront in my life as my previous words have been.

    As for your courage, my friend, I believe you have made great progress in embracing it. I love the fact that you are realizing that YOU can't make others happy and that only they can do that. And you are putting that into actions. Yes, you have made GREAT strides in it this year.

    As for the ski lift...the chicken in me says you're nuts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!