For all the Spam Lovers in the World

I'm about to share a secret with you, my beloved blog friends. Something that many of you will not understand. Something that will cause so many of you to question the very core of my existence. Yes, many of you think you know me, and I am fairly certain that you do. However . . . I've been hiding something from you all.

Yes, I have a confession. Something I must share with you . . . today.

I love Spam.

Eeeeee-gags!!!!!!

SPAM?!?!?!

Yes, Spam.

Perhaps if I tell you why I feel so strongly, you will better understand.  

Primarily . . . it's because of my Dad (insert awwwwweeee here). But in all seriousness (ok, can there be a 'serious' conversation about Spam?), I grew up thinking that Spam was something yummy, and never thinking anything otherwise. My dad was fond of Spam, and I think it had something to do with his time in the service. Dad was an army guy long before he married my Mom and had us kids, and I think he was introduced to it during that time. But we occasionally had it in our home, and for me . . . it brings back great memories. Spamwiches (our dish of choice) are DELICIOUS, and my girls LOVE them. Unfortunately Phil Guy does not . . . so we are forced to hide our love of this dish until his absence, and then we run like silly girls through the grocery store gathering up the ingredients when Daddy is out of town! :)

This week, Phil is gone for work. So . . . Sunday night . . . SPAMWICHES!!!

It starts with these few simple items:

English muffins, package of shredded mozzarella cheese,
small can of tomato paste, and . . . the SPAM!
You start with the English muffins . . . opened and placed on a cookie sheet as shown above.
Slice the Spam thin (so you get 12 slices out of one can).
Spread a little bit of the tomato paste on each.
Then top with a generous mound of mozzarella, and then a quick sprinkle
of any Italian seasoning in your cupboard.
Bake in a 400 degree oven until the cheese is melted (usually 10-15 minutes).

DELISH!!!!

I have to tell you . . . if you close your eyes and try one, you will LOVE it! Seriously!

Here are some interesting Spam facts that I learned while writing this post:
  • In 2007, the seven billionth can of Spam was sold. Seriously. 7 BILLION CANS HAVE BEEN SOLD!!!
  • On average, 3.8 cans are consumed EVERY SECOND in the United States (I guess it's not just me who likes it!)
  • As of 2003, Spam is sold in 41 countries worldwide, sold on six continents and trademarked in over 100 different countries
  • There is a Spam Museum in Austin, MN, and a full website dedicated to Spam (click here for more info)
I'd be so interested if someone out there . . . . like, YOU perhaps, would try this recipe and let me know what you think. Please leave me a comment if you have the courage to do it!
And, if you don't  . . .  then just tell me, are there any favorites in your kitchen that others might think are a little . . . different? I swear, I'll be the last one in the world to question them!!! Leave a comment, and let me know!

Comments

  1. I remember eating Spam when I was little - child of Depression-era babies that I am. I remember liking it, but truly haven't eaten it in decades. When Jeremy moved in with his dad, they ate Spam regularly. Jeremy actually came up to me one day and said "I led a deprived childhood." Huh??? "You never fed me Spam or Velveeta!" I think he got Spammed out by the frequency with which his dad served it, rather than it being a special event food like you've done ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, leave it to you to make a me want to eat a SPAMWICHE after reading your blog. I'm amazed at all the research you did on your subject. You crack me up. Really I was giggling and smiling after reading your blog.

    I wonder if your sissy has the same fond memories of spam.

    I have to share my spam story. I went to Kinzie School and we used to get a real hot lunch. On the menu was spam on a bun with a piece of cheese slapped on it. I did not know about spam until then and I really cannot say if I liked it or not.

    Fun Topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I love SPAM!!! Definitely going to try this recipe. My favorite SPAM recipe is SPAM Fried Rice and I make it at least once every few weeks. I just cut up the SPAM in squares and fry it up, scramble some eggs, and mix it all with some cooked rice. Season with a little soy sauce, salt, pepper.....yum!!!

    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK - I can't help myself - you know, I don't think I ever offered SPAM to Phil, but, I am a die hard SPAM lover - I like egss with SPAM has (cubed potatoes, onions and span fried with a little butter till their all carmalized and soft -- ahhhh); I love slt's - spam, lettuce tomatoe and mayo on toast, --- Oh I could go on and on - and, I can't even say it's becasuse it brings up any fond memories . . .It's OK Leanne - I think SPAM brings the artist out of people because you have to be creative to eat it (LOL) hugs from a mutual SPAM lover.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I'm not sure what to say... but, hey... it's cute! (Okay.. I like a gross thing - deviled ham. ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to eat Spam too!!! I remember my Dad loving it. And Nicole...we ate Underwood Devil Ham, too. Oh the memories. I also ate pickled pigs feet.

    I may have to try Spam again...{no on the pickled pigs feet}

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, since we grew up together, and since we were raised on SPAM together, you already know how much I LOVE SPAM!!!!! I do. And I would never have thought to serve it to CT (he's a lot like Phil Guy), but when he tried it at your house, he loved it too! Anyway, spam was a very inexpense way to feed a family of six when money was tight. Spamwiches and a bag of frozen french fries... ah... what memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, you made Spam pizza!! Here in Hawaii, if we don't have spam in the pantry, something is very wrong. LOL We have what is called spam musubi, which is a slice of spam on a rectangular cube of rice wrapped with a strip of seaweed (we call it nori). Or better yet, spam and eggs for breakfast; even the local restaurants list that on their menus.
    Anyway, I stopped at your blog to visit your "Where Bloggers Create", so I'd better get on over there.
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!