My Happy Place

My dear blog friend Kelly, from Happy Shack Designs (Artful Happiness), wrote a wonderful post last week about her "happy place" . . . a special place she often visits when things are piling up on her and where all of the tensions and stress of her life simply melt away. Kelly's place is the ocean. Click here to read her post . . . I swear, my stress melted away just reading about her special place.

I started thinking about my happy place. At first, I didn't think I had one. Sad, isn't it? But don't worry . . . it wasn't long before I realized that I most certainly do . . . right in my back yard.

Yep. Right outside my door.

I realized it on Sunday, as I approached the pool and saw this . . .

My little piece of heaven, right there, in my own back yard.

It truly is my happy place.

For here the telephone is far away in the house, and cannot be heard. The computer and television are all behind closed doors. The toys, the books, the laundry, the dishes, and all the little signs of our chaotic life are all far, far away. And I feel . . . happy.

When I am in this little blow up pool, it's me, my family, and my sunflowers.


These sunflowers are like the ocean to me, I guess . . . in a strange sort of way. I can stare at them for hours at a time, floating from flower to flower, just as the golden finches and bumble bees who visit them do. I watch as new blossoms open before my very eyes, and smile as more and more of the seeds are eaten by our feathered friends.

The girls will splash and play behind me, but it doesn't interrupt the calm state I'm in. And I haven't a care in the world . . . for the hour, or two or three that I am there, I don't worry about a thing.


Occasionally the girls will convince me to join in a game of Marco Polo, or to perhaps assist in a little Tidal Wave action. We laugh and splash and laugh some more. Then moments later, I return to my happy state . . . 


Yep, right there.



Happy Summer, my friends . . . may you spend much time in your Happy Place!

Comments

  1. I love sunflowers - how can you NOT be happy, looking at something so bright and joyous??? And seeing the girls so happy in the water ... pure bliss ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! I have FOUND a happy place, in my new place. It's nothing fancy at all - but my corner balcony. Right next to some flowering tree. I love it. I sat out there at 4am this morning, then again this evening, around 8:30pm. It was divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why you're happy there! My little piece of heaven is on my deck, in the sunshine, while reading a book....especially when no one is mowing their lawn and I can listen to the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O...M....G.... we are most definitely separately at birth. YOU HAVE AN ALIEN POD POOL!!!!!!!! WE HAVE AN ALIEN POD POOL!!!!!! that's what I've always called it anyways. It kinda looks like an alien pod doesn't it? And I have to say ours died earlier this summer, unfortunately, and I haven't been able to convince my husband to let me get another one. It had completely overflowed (overflown? overflooded?) with all the rain we had, so we went ahead and drained it (by sitting on its sidewalls, of course) so we could clean it, and while it was drained, Molly decided she wanted to eat it. Really she did. She eats rocks too. She left a couple nice big unpatchable holes. It was a sad day in my world, let me tell you sister. Thanks for mentioning my post! That was a sweet surprise when I hopped over to see you today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sunflowers are gorgeous! I saw a patch a few days ago and thought of you:)

    What a beautiful post my friend. Enjoy your kids!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can totally see why this is your happy place. :-) It's just full of happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!