Family Fun . . . Chicago Style!

Another great weekend of CREATING for me - this time, it was * * creating * * some fun adventures with my family (remember - CREATING, to me, is not just art or words. It's memories, too!) So, we decided to do something fun with the girls that we have never done before, and took them to the Museum of Science and Industry in downtown Chicago.

I Love this Museum.

It's amazing that I live near (just about 45 minutes south) this FANTASTIC CITY - yet I rarely enjoy it or take advantage of what it offers. PG and I have made it our goal to change that this year. And we have decided to take at least one day a month and bring the girls into the city - for FAMILY FUN! Today - Museum of Science and Industry.

I haven't been to this museum in probably 15 years. So much of it has changed, but much of it was the same. Personally, my favorite part of the museum has always been the Colleen Moore Fairy Castle. I could get LOST in that room staring at that amazing doll house and dreaming. I actually think I DID dream once, when visiting the castle as a young girl, and dreamt of being a princess and living in a place just like that. It was wonderful to bring my own daughters there now, and see their eyes light up at the magic of that castle. So cool.

We also went through a
really awesome exhibit about The White House that I just loved. I love history and learning about this amazing house (and seeing a miniature version of it) was breathtaking. Really - just a great exhibit.

And a visit to the Museum of Science and Industry just would NOT be complete without a stop at Yesterday Main Street. If you live in Chicago and have ever visited this museum - you know all about this little section of the museum that brings you to the 1910's and let's you see what the store fronts of that time would have looked like. When I was a young child, I loved this part of the museum, too. Seeing it now as an adult still has the special feeling associated with it, although it is much smaller than I remember and seemed to have less in it than I thought. Still - such fun.

And finally, a visit to this part of the museum must ALWAYS include taking the souvenir photo in the classic 1902 motor car with vintage hats and accessories. We HAD to do that, and I HAVE to share the photo with you . . .

Katie had to drive the car, while PG and I took the back seat. The lady taking our picture was such fun and caught us all at a great moment. After the "smiling" picture, we switched driver's and Ella took a turn behind the wheel. Just before taking the photo, the photographer said, "Ok, let's pretend you're in a crash and let's take this one with all of you acting shocked and surprised. .."

Well . . . you know us. We are a pretty dramatic family - each one of us. So, we each put on our best "shocked" face. . . that is . . . except for Ella. Ella's face was absolutely FANTASTIC, as the driver of the car. And the picture turned out even better than the first one . . .


We laughed so hard after seeing it. Ella's reaction behind the wheel is absolutely priceless! And totally worth the $5 the photo cost (we HAD to buy both!)

So, we * * CREATED * * some fantastic memories for our family today. I hope you had a great weekend, too. What did you do?

Comments

  1. Awesome photos!! Funny that you posted this...my DH and I were just saying that we need to head to Chicago to check out the museums!! He lived there for a couple of years in the Naperville area (not the nice parts-LOL). He managed the DP store in St. Charles. We love about 6 to 8 hours from there...not a bad road trip for us!!! Thanks for sharing. You've got me even more excited to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love these pictures! You are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pictures ARE priceless! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's my favorite part too, or atleast the one that I remember the most. I have a picture of my mom and I ( wearing my Reavis coat, lol ) that I truly cherish. I am jealous, my hubby won't go downtown, : ( , that's what I have my mom for! Right sister?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!