Pass the Geritol, please!

So, I've been creating. Like CRAZY! If you remember way back when in December, when I shared my 2010 Word with you (click there to be reminded), I explained that my goal for the New Year was to CREATE. Anything and Everything. Scrapbooks, journals, delicious meals and yummy desserts (I found a new banana cake recipe that is to DIE for, I'll share it with you at another time). But, let me tell you . . . I'm pretty proud of myself so far. For I have been a creating MACHINE!!!! (Well, sort of. . . )

Last week, I worked on a NEW project that I just have to share with you. And before I go into it . . . I will ask you, please, DO NOT JUDGE me. Please. Let me share with you my story, and perhaps you will look at it in a different light.

The inspiration for my most recent creation is my kitchen. Here is a photo of part of that room.
Last year PG and I had it painted in (what I call) Robin's Egg Blue, and Chocolate Brown. I love the color combination, and I LOVE my kitchen. Of course, I would love if it were bigger and had more cabinet and counter space. I would love for a larger eating area. But - it is what it is, and it is warm and inviting and the great heart of our home. And I LOVE it.

So now, without further ado . . . I give you . . . . my most recent . . . CREATION.
Yes, a Plastic Canvas Napkin Holder. Yes, It Is! And I am PROUD OF IT!!! So, THERE!

Now, I'll remind you . . . I asked you to PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE ME! Let me tell you why this plastic canvas napkin holder is so important to me, and why I was absolutely thrilled to CREATE it last weekend.
I was first introduced to Plastic Canvas probably 30 years ago by my Grandmother, Josephine. Josephine was an absolutely amazing woman who I will have to tell you more about at a later time. But she was the original crafter in our family, and was the family member responsible for all things handmade and fabulous. Every holiday in our house was celebrated with handmade favors, chotchkies, or corsages that Grandma made for each of us. She was fantastic, and all her craftie goodies were just as fantastic as her. Many of them were made with (you guessed it) . . . plastic canvas (gotta love it!)

Grandma also had a really awesome napkin holder that was made out of plastic canvas. She had a couple of them, actually, and my sister is the proud owner of one of them, and my mom has the other. I'll have to take a photo of their napkins holders to show you - for they were designed like a house with windows and doors and so plastic canvasie charming that they are still being adored and used by my Mom and Sister.

When I was a young girl, I remember sitting with Grandma and working on various plastic canvas projects. She was always so proud of me and so encouraging in what I did, and I loved her for that. I remember making a whole bunch of plastic canvas stuff for the bathroom in my parents house that my Dad primarily used (a kleenex box, a towel holder, a cup holder, etc.) and I remember my Dad proudly displaying my * * CREATIONS * * in his room. So incredibly sweet.

Fast forward to last week, when my mother-in-law started talking about plastic canvas and her wish to introduce Katie to the hobby. I had flashbacks of my own Grandma teaching me how to make things, and I was hooked. So my dear mother-in-law went to the library and took out books of patterns and even found websites with patterns available (yes, believe it or not . . . there is a whole plastic canvas cult out there!), and purchased various sheets of plastic canvas and yarn. I found myself sitting at her kitchen table, feeling like a kid in a candy store, and secretly wishing that I, too, would make something. That was all it took. And within a couple of days . . . my very own napkin holder.

PG was so encouraging this past weekend, as I excitedly would show him my progress hour by hour. It wasn't until the last stitch was done and the napkins were displayed ever so gently that he turned to me and said, "Can I get you your GERITOL now?" While I smacked his arm (and laughed), inside I knew that, yes, this may be a very old lady thing to do. But I know that Grandma Josephine is looking down and smiling at me and absolutely thrilled that something she taught me 30 years ago made me so happy today, 30 years later.

I'm making a kleenex box, next. And I can't wait!

Comments

  1. That was such a great post... I LOVE your napkin holder.. It looks great with your room. You are so creative! Grandma Josephine would definately be proud...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet!!! I'm sorry, but any type of CREATION keeps those brain synapses working and, as a result, keeps the geritol out of the medicine cabinet. I love your napkin holder, too. And Grandma WOULD be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, and you mentioned something that is oh so true -- Josephine was definitely the original crafter of the family, and I think that is where we inherited the crafting bug! Love the napkin holder, and I can't wait to see the tissue box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, too and I LOVE those colors in your kitchen. You see, those are MY FAVORITE colors and when you put them together...heaven!! I just bought a new pair of Nike running shoes that color combo!!:)

    And, Leanne I adore your napkin holder. We have a few Christmas ornaments on our tree my dear Grandma Jackson created way back when. It's just perfect. So happy you are creating.

    Hey...how was that BPS class??

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made me laugh, and then my eyes teared up! What a wonderful post! And I too, like the color combo. Thinking of changing my hues at home!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!