Would you ever go to a funeral in a red dress?

Last week, my friend Jorie brought something up that I felt I had to explore a little. We talked in my friend Kathleen's kitchen (over a glass of Cabernet and lots of laughter, mind you). All of a sudden Jorie said, "Do you ever wonder who would actually come to your funeral?" My immediate reaction was like . . . um, no . . . that's kind of . . . morbid. But then, as she elaborated on her thought, I have to tell you - I was kind of hooked. "Don't you ever think about who would actually come? Like if the people who really say they are your friends are your friends and come to both the wake and the funeral?" she said, "Or, what if they only really 'stop by' the wake for, like, a 1/2 hour."

I told her that maybe we should put together a little mailing to everyone in our address books, right now. It could say something like:

Dear Friend,

Please don't think I'm crazy. I really was just wondering if would you be so kind as to choose the very best reply for you today. Please know that I am NOT offended, in any way, to the answer you might select. And this in no way will change how I feel for you. However, would you please let me know, in the event of my passing, if you think you would . . .

a) come to my wake only

b) come to my funeral only

c) come to both AND bring cookies for the refreshment room at the funeral home

d) be a little too busy to come

e) come to both (and wear a red dress)


I had to throw that last one in . . . it is a quote from what I think is one of the best movies of all time. . . Moonstruck. It's the moment when Johnny Cammareri breaks off his engagement to Loretta Castorini (before Loretta has an opportunity to break off the engagement herself, because she's in love with Ronny, Johnny's brother.) Anyway . . . you know the scene:

Johnny Cammareri: In time you will see that this is the best thing.
Loretta Castorini: In time you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!

God, I LOVE that movie!

Anyway, I'm thinking if I mail out the questionnaire and provided a self-addressed stamped envelope for returns, I might get a few people to reply. However, I'm think others might think I've absolutely lost my mind (this time). But gotta tell ya, Jorie, you really made me stop and think. I'm not sure who would come . . . but I'll tell you one thing . . . I think I'm going to request a DVD of Moonstruck to be playing in the back of the room, where ever it may be. And girlfriends. . . may you ALL wear red!!!

Comments

  1. I think either people will completely ignore the letter or put they would come to both. Lol. If I got a letter like that though I would definitely choose show up wearing a Red Dress! Too funny! And I'm going to have to steal your idea about playing Moonstruck at the funeral. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that movie too! I have many red dresses and would be happy to wear the shortest and skimpiest to your funeral (or anybody's--I don't get out much!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be so curious to know if people returned it. I have never seen moonstruck...can you believe it! My aunt had everything planned out when she died a letter detailing how she wanted her funeral, what music, how to dress, etc. It was actually helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girlfriend: (e). Now you KNOW I don't wear dresses...but for you, I'd shop for one!!! (How red does it have to be...cuz, I really don't think I look good in red and .... oh, wait...this isn't about me) Not only would I be there for both, I'd make sure I showed up for the luncheon after!! Just not any time soon, okay??? Too many Cellar events to attend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...and forgot to tell ya....LOVE the rainbow look!!! I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. LOVE the Rainbow look!
    2. Gonna go rent Moonstruck
    3. Thinks a funeral RSVP is an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen Moonstruck! I need to get on that!

    I would like to think that all of friends would be at my funeral! Who know though. ;) Luckily, we will be in a happier place, where we probably won't care all that much!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leanne, I love your new blog look!! And I love how you change it up all the time:)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is funny. I love the letter. May I steal it. I actually do wonder sometimes who would come to my funeral. I would like to say that no black is allowed to my funeral. Only rainbow colors!
    Love the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok - a little late commenting - but now I have to remember to wear a red dress. Geez, I hope I remember - that's going to be a LONG time from now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!