Fishy Fishy in the Sea

Ok, I’m about to make a few confessions here that I hope won’t turn any of my dear blog friends away. You see, I’m all about honesty in this happy chaos called Life that I am living. This will not come as a surprise to some of you. Others may think they have been completely misled by my overall compassion and joy for life. All life. Or so you think.

The truth is . . . I am not a warm and cozy pet loving individual. Shocking, right? I understand they can be cute, and my heart has warmed up to one photo or another of a golden retriever (or something of the like). Yes, I will admit that some of those darn cat calendars make me feel like a kid again. But, in reality, the whole idea of having some creature (other than the human kind) living in my house sort makes me cringe.

You see, in my book . . . if you walk on four legs, I think you should walk on all four of them . . . outside.

If you have fins, I think you should live in water . . . outside.

If you fly, I think you should live in snazzy little house . . . on a tree . . . outside.

I won’t go as far to say that if you don’t speak my language, you should live outside. But I will say if you are unable to communicate in some human way with me . . . outside you go. I would even prefer some of our plants be permanently moved to an outdoor life, however the rough Chicago winters might not fit in their lives very well, so we do have one or two that dwell within our walls.

PG was raised with pets – dogs, primarily. When I met him, he had a fish tank. Nothing big, maybe 15 gallons. However, he understood and accepted my lack of a pet lifestyle, and married me all the same. He has never really pushed to adding a four legged friend to our family – probably because he knew that I might have to draw the line. However, recently there has been much talk about adding fish to our home. You know the little ones that swim in a tank - a tank that you can pucker your mouth up to - and make fish faces with? Not the kind of fish you put on the grill at dinner time. Katie has been asking for a fish for a while, and you know, I’m a softy for those girls.

So, I agreed.

Of course, I had some rules.

Rules of the House (as it pertains to these fishies)

1. I will not clean the tank . . . EVER (and I mean EVER. Seriously. I think if God intended for me to clean a fish tank, he would have thrown a few scales on me and added a couple fins, perhaps making me an algae eating fish, don’t you? Seriously. EVER.)

2. I will not dispose of any fish whose fishy soul has left our universe. I mean, if PG is out of town . . . dear fishy will have a proper burial (I’m sure our new ejector pump will see to it.) I may even sing a few lines of “Amazing Grace”, but I will not be able to do the flushing of said fishy down the toilet. Uncle may have to be on speed dial when Daddy is out of town. That’s just how it has to be.

3. I must be able to name two of the fishies. In honor of the recent Royal Wedding, I requested we name one fishy Prince William and one fishy Princess Catherine. I think it's time we had some royalty in our house, don't you?

And that, my friends, is pretty much all I am demanding when it comes to the fishies in our house.

So, a couple of weeks ago, PG, Katie and Ella went to the pet store. There they selected the perfect home for our new family members. Lots of thought was put into their surroundings, and Katie and Ella did a fantastic job picking out everything from the rock to the plants to the shells inside. Here is a look at the tank.
It took PG almost 5 days to prep the water in the tank, and about a week later, the four of us hopped in the mini-van to pick out our newest family members. (I knew having a mini-van would come in handy for our growing family.) ;)

The young college aged girl who was working in the fish area really knew her stuff. Her jet black hair and nose ring had a comforting feeling to me – she had to be some sort of artist . . . like a Fish Artist. She was cool. And she was so familiar with all types of fish. She new exactly which ones would suite our family (and our tank) best. The minute she showed me the TEQUILA SUNRISE guppy fish, I knew I had found my new babies. ;)

So, without further adieu, I introduce you to our new additions . . .
I think there is a "Snoopy" floating around in the bottom there somewhere, too (Katie named a few more Snoopy and Snappy. Not sure where that came from, but it's all good). We have to go back and pick up the algae eater, and a few more fishies. But our fish friend (the girl from the pet store) recommended we introduce them in two batches.

So, here they are . . . Batch #1 and the newest members of our family.

Don't tell anyone, but here's one more confession for you . . .

I am secretly enjoying them.

Those late nights when the house is quiet (and all my human babies are in bed), I have found myself kneeling up to the tank, sneaking a few minutes of quiet time with my soothing fishies. They are polite and respectable and really, just lovely lovely fishies. The sound of the water is so relaxing, and I really could watch them for hours. I think they are so peaceful . . . hmmm . . . . but remember - that part is a secret just between us, ok? And I stand firm on my "NO WAY!!" to Ella's request for a hamster. That, my friends, will NEVER change.

Wishing you peaceful moments, my friends. With or without pets.

Comments

  1. Ah, Mommy! I love your list of the rules. It will be fun to look back on those in about a year....

    I just have one thing to say. Just to plant a little seed in your brain that will come to fruition in about five years:

    Cat.

    Cat.

    Cat.

    Cat.

    Cat.

    My work here is done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe - your secret is out! :) Glad you are enjoying them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is grand of you to have gotten the girls a pet, even though they aren't the soft snuggly/cuddly kind. Pets are a great tool for teaching children to be responsible for something other than themselves. Good for you...Still love ya...even though you are opposed to the 4 legged variety of pets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh...what better way to jump into the Animal Kingdom than with a tank for the family to enjoy. Health benefit: Enjoying fish tanks helps to lower blood pressure.
    As far as the hamsters, I'm with you 100%...and if you find yourself slipping even a micro-inch, call me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I also laid some rules when the hubby decided he wanted a fish tank... now I'm more addicted to them than he ever was :-)
    They are very relaxing to watch and make the best pets (auto feeder means no holiday hassles!)
    See more of our tank at http://justaboutnat.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-penis-pumps-incest-and-cannibalism.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a cat person. I love them. Indoor or out...they are just SOOTHING to me. I love fish too. Dogs...eh...I could easily live without them...for many years hated them...but am learning to deal with them since my neighbors have a few that my son loves to go visit.

    The things we change/let go of when we become parents, eh?

    Also...I'm reading other comments ^^Nat's blog post that includes penis pumps-incest and cannibalism...yeah...Heading that way...can't resist...some keywords just suck you in!!!

    www.brewingdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT?!?! You don't like DOGS?!?! What's wrong with you!?!?!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I KNEW there was a black spot in your soul somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    WOO HOO

    I have discovered your secrets!!!!!!

    ;-)

    PS - The fish are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my cats, when I had dogs I rather regretted it, though I loved them, as I love animals, daughter has one and I rarely visit cause of it, sad I know....dream of owning fish, so bit envious...and once my babies are not with me (meaning my two cats)it might be something I do...but leaning towards a bird....yep, kind of over the warm and fuzzies making messes and stinkies LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. You would not like my house - heck, I don't even like my house with the big old dog and 2 cats! Akk! Glad you are enjoying your fishies...I think there is too much to remember about fish care for me...but they're pretty to look at! Hope you're feeling better, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Ruby:
    I love my cats, when I had dogs I rather regretted it, though I loved them, as I love animals, daughter has one and I rarely visit cause of it, sad I know....dream of owning fish, so bit envious...and once my babies are not with me (meaning my two cats)it might be something I do...but leaning towards a bird....yep, kind of over the warm and fuzzies making messes and stinkies LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Nicole:
    I KNEW there was a black spot in your soul somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WOO HOO
    I have discovered your secrets!!!!!!
    ;-)
    PS - The fish are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From Liz:
    WHAT?!?! You don't like DOGS?!?! What's wrong with you!?!?!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Katie:
    I'm a cat person. I love them. Indoor or out...they are just SOOTHING to me. I love fish too. Dogs...eh...I could easily live without them...for many years hated them...but am learning to deal with them since my neighbors have a few that my son loves to go visit.
    The things we change/let go of when we become parents, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fish. They're soothing. But I hate floating fish...
    ...and scraping fish poop from the glass and rocks
    I love dogs and own one, however he's been an asshole as of late. Eating socks and linoleum. Hey you want him?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!