Update on our Birdies

You may recall, a few weeks ago I shared a photo with you of some recently hatched robin's that have been living in a lovely little nest on the corner of our house. Well, we have been keeping a close eye on the these little birdies and I wanted to share a few updated photos with you.

Here is the first photo, which I really believe was taken the the day they hatched (May 6th, 2011). This photo is sort of freaky, a tad alien like. But really cool, too. I remember Phil running in telling us that the eggs had hatched and the girls and I running out quickly to see the new birds. I didn't want to get too close, so I held the camera up and snapped the photo, then ran quickly away (Momma Bird was sitting on the nearby fence post shouting some pretty loud birdie profanities at us.) They really look like they just hatched, don't they? I mean, I'm no bird expert - but those look like some super fresh babies.

We really wanted to give them their space, so we left them alone for a few days. We stayed far away from that side of the yard and really talked to the kids about the importance of leaving them alone. About a week had passed when Katie grabbed the camera one day and headed outside. I couldn't believe it when she ran back in and showed me this next photo, take on May 11th, 2011. What amazes me is that the side walk right next to the house is just a foot or two from where this nest is, and every time someone walks past the nest, Momma bird flies fast away. But here . . . Katie caught a photo with Momma, protecting her babies. Such a rare moment. I love it. Oh, and yes . . . that is a tiki torch. We have a number of them leaning up on the side of the house and that is where Momma Bird decided to make her nest. It is protected with a little overhang from our second floor, and by building the nest on the leaning tiki torches, Momma has done a great job keeping them out of eye sight of predators. And don't worry - the torches are all empty (just waiting for a nice summer night).  Hey, I didn't pick it . . . Momma Bird did.

When I went back out that same day, after Katie showed me the above picture she took, Momma was long gone. It was my opportunity to snap this next shot. Again, taken on May 11th, 2011. We see now that there are 3 birds . . . 3 Little Birds . . . born right there . . . life . . . it's pretty amazing.

A quick look the next day, May 12th, 2011. I think Ella actually took this next shot (which explains the angle of the camera . . . just right at Ella's height.) I love the picture, though . . . don't you? Capturing one baby bird with it's mouth open, just waiting for Momma to return. (Gees, that siding is going to need a major cleaning when this is all over. Don't you think?)

The weather turned nasty for the next few days, and Katie and Ella were both really worried about the birds. We had a few rain storms, but nothing that did any damage whatsoever. While the rain was passing through, Katie asked if we could bring the nest inside. I told her if we did, Momma Bird would never return to them, and they still needed their Momma. She understood . . . but I could see the worry in her sweet eyes. Finally we were able to check on them, and to our surprise . . . they are growing and growing and growing. Here they are on Wednesday, May 18th, 2001.

I have been watching Momma bird for weeks now, searching for food for her young and then waiting on a fence post bring food to them. She cautious watches for predators, raising her head at an alert stance when something is wrong. Then she flies in to their nest as fast as can be. Today, I was able to catch a photo of her waiting to deliver some fresh food just found. It may not be pizza hut, but something tells me these birdies are doing just fine.

We've had birds in this same area for a couple of years now, but have never followed them as much as this particular bunch. I think we have all grown a little fond of this birdie family, and I can't imagine what I will feel the day I see the nest empty. Thinking about it right now brings a tear to my eye. I've done a little research online and found this informative site here (Journey North American Robin Tracking Project) that states young robins usually jump from their nest when they are about 13 days old. It takes them another 10-15 days to become strong fliers and independent birds, so I may have them around just a little bit longer. But not much.

So for now, we'll continue to watch them grow and change. And then, we will watch them leave. Much like our own lives, as our children are born and grow. Some day, I guess I will see our children leave. You know, this whole process with this Robin's nest has brought a whole new understanding of the term "empty nest". I could never imagine Katie and Ella ever being big enough to leave. The thought is truly inconceivable to me. But after watching this process with these birdies, I know some day it will happen. Though it's far far away from now, I feel almost certain that I will remember these birds, when my own birds leave the nest.

And that, my friends, is our update for now.

Wishing you and all of your birdies a wonderful, wonderful day.

Comments

  1. Leanne! These are such wonderful shots!!! You know how I feel about these sorts of things.

    I've got the last one ready to leave the nest in the fall. He's ready.

    But am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet photos! Perpetually open mouths -- you'd think they were teenage boys!!! So cute, so fluffy, growing up so fast ... just like our own kids, huh???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics!! Beautiful insight!
    The funny thing about the empty nest...once they are gone, the nest is only big enough for them to visit, not for a move back in!
    Circle of life, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious photos Leanne! It is very neat to watch the transformation isn't it? Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwww.. that is so cool. I wish I could find a situation like that in my back yard. What a great thing for kids to watch! I was over at Food Fluzie and saw your "Best Line of the Week" button and.... here I am! great blog! I am your newest follower! Pop by and say "hi!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. Reminds me of Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" song.
    These are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots, Leanne!! This brings back memories of when we lived out in the country and every summer we would have these bird families...truly inspiring to watch:)

    Okay...Pizza Hut?!?;)

    And finally...I know it really does seem like a long time from now...but let me say...in 4 short years Dave and I will be empty nesters...this doesn't seem possible at all. It just goes by too, too quickly. Enjoy your little munchkins!!

    Have a wonderful weekend sweetie!!

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwww!!! I want one...wait...no I don't...they'll shit everywhere. I had bird shit.
    But baby birds are cute...from a distance of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly, I *was* thinking about your birdies! How amazing you got those great shots (or rather, your daughter.) What a cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh CT loved this post!!! He wishes he was able to get these kinds of photos of his robins. Oh, and I loved Peggy's comment!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to see the babes are growing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!