A DIY that I actually did . . . myself!

Did I tell you that I went to a jewelry show a couple of weeks ago? And, that I am obsessed with Pinterest? They don't really have anything to do with each other . . . well, not really, but maybe just a little.

Yes, I went to a friends home jewelry show, and bought myself some GORgeous jewels. Nothing too fancy, but all lots of cool fun.

And I'm loving Pinterest. Have you been there yet? It's an awesome sight were one can "pin" and save some of their favorite images from the web, and I LOVE IT! I can spend HOURS there, pinning and repinning things that I love . . . (I said I can spend hours, not that I do actually spend hours there . . . although, if I could . . . I certainly would.) If you want to see some of the things I've pinned on my boards - click the red bar on the right that says "Follow Me on Pinterest."

Anyway, I am sure that I was inspired by a pin somewhere for this awesome DIY project that I did today. Although, when going back through my pins today I couldn't find any reference to it. But, since I had just recently bought some lovely necklaces at this friends jewelry party, I was searching for a creative and clever way to display them (and a way to have them out so I would remember them, as I have that bad "out of sight, out of mind" problem when it comes to my jewelry.)

So, today, I found my solution. It started with a trip to our local resale shop where I picked up an old framed picture for $3.50. I wasn't looking for a cool picture, mind you. I was looking for a specific frame that had a little character, and was the right size. The one I bought was about 14" x 18" (give or take a few inches.) Then, I gathered some paint, a sanding block, some corkboard, adhesive, and scrapbook paper that matches our bedroom (where I decided I would hang the piece)



Once I took the picture apart, Ella helped me sand down the wood . . .




Then, we painted a base coat . . .




While the base coat dried, I measured and fit the corkboard backing . . . .




Then, once the base coat was dry, I sprayed the frame with a top coat of dark brown . . .




 . . . and adhered the scrapbook paper on top of the cork, along with a little ribbon and some extra bling . . .




After a little sanding and some cool edging with ink on the corners, it was time to add the jewelry . . . and I have to tell you, I was SO excited with how it turned out. (I am SO SORRY these next two pictures are blurry . . . I was rushing before dinner to try and take these for this post, and I thought they were focused. But as I uploaded them tonight, I see that they are SO badly out of focus! I promise to take some more tomorrow that are a little clearer for you.) But, you still get the picture . . . .




Here is the final look, on the wall in our master bedroom. It's a work of art . . .and my favorite jewelry pieces are right there just waiting for me.



Contrary to what you might think, I am not much of a DIY girl . . . so this project was a REALLY COOL one for me to try out, and I think I might be up to stretching my wings and try something else just like it.

Thanks for letting me share my little jewelry hanger!! Like it? YOU can easily do it, too!

Comments

  1. When I grow up I want to be you.... enough said.. well except...
    can you make me one for all my beauitiful jewelery too?

    Love it! 2E

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute!! Love it! Boy that TCC filled you up with all kinds of "Yes I Can" stuff!!!! Yeah, I think my new nickname for you is LE (for Little Engine That Could).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! And I am gonna pin it to one of my boards!!! Thanks for the step by steps...I have been wanting to try something like this....

    Oh, those necklaces are amazing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!!!! And love how it looks:O) You are sooo good:O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that on pinterest. There were a whole bunch actually. Love them and you did a fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT!! and if anyone needs more jewelry let me know! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girlfriend I saw a photo of you here!!! http://melodyross.typepad.com/my_weblog/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!