A Letter to a Hero



Dear Hero,

It seems so strange writing this to you today. I just felt like I had to. Because, it's been 10 years. And I can't stop thinking about you.

We've never met. But I have prayed for you a thousand times, at least. I've watched as your family held up pictures of you as they searched for any sign of hope. I've prayed as rescue efforts took place, in a hopeless pile of dust. I've thought of you, and dreamt of you. I've cried for you, over and over and over.

Tomorrow, I will cry again.

I know that you didn't know what was going to happen that day, 10 years ago. I know that as you dressed for work, ate your breakfast, and headed into the city, or as you packed your bag and took your seat in the airplane that morning, or as you sat at your desk to start your days work, you had no idea that your life was going to change forever.

I will never know what you went through that morning. I will never know the things you saw, the things you heard, the things that happened to you. I just want to tell you that I am sorry. I am sorry that your life was taken. Sorry that your family was left without you. Sorry that you were forced to make decisions no human being should ever have to make. Sorry that your children have had to grow up without a parent, your parents have to grow old without their child, your spouse has had to live their life without you. I am so sorry . . . for all of it.

You are my hero. I know you didn't ask to be a hero - and probably would have rather not been a hero -  I'm sure you would have rather just returned home safely at the end of that horrific day. But to me, you will always be my hero. And I will never, not tomorrow or any day after, forget what happened. I will never lose sight of the fact that we are all one people . . . one human race. I pray that some day, ALL people can love and I pray that the hate will end. I pray for our country. For our servicemen. For our freedoms. For humanity. And I pray that you will be united with your loved ones in the afterlife . . . that they will see you again. It's what I pray most for, surprisingly. I have to. Because if there wasn't that . . . then what is it really all for?

I'm doing something for a friend tomorrow. For a neighbor. Tomorrow is her birthday (what a hard day to celebrate life), and she deserves to have a wonderful day, so I am going to try and do something special for her. I'm doing it . . . in your honor. Mostly because I think it's important, not only to honor the lives taken on this day 10 years ago, but to do something nice for someone living. To show compassion. To care. Just as we did the days following September 11th of 2001. So, I'm going to do something nice for my neighbor. And, I will think of you.

You know, I've been to the World Trade Center a number of times in the past 10 years. Each time I visit, I feel your presence. It's so strong . . . the feeling. Almost indescribable. It grabs hold of my heart and doesn't let go until I turn my back and head uptown. Even now . . . 10 years later.

10 years is such a long time. Yet, it still feels like yesterday.

Please know that you are forever in my heart.

I pray that you have found Peace.

God Bless you, my hero.

Comments

  1. That's beautiful Leanne. I shared it on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that Lee - its amazing how a tragedy unites people - hard to believe it has been 10 years - and I agree - I cry to this day about it. We will be forever different because of that. So tomorrow I will follow you lead and find something nice to do for someone tomorrow. What a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Leanne! Your words make me feel peaceful. Sad, but peaceful. And y'know, I felt the same strong presence at Ground Zero. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautifully written tribute Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this?! This is simply beautiful. Love, love, love!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!