Yes, they DID!

"Did they like you, Momma? Did they like your art?"

Those were the first words I heard on the phone from Katie, my dream catcher, when I called to check in from The Creative Connection Event this weekend.

I am home, my friends. And let me tell you . . . the past three days have been life changing for me. Truly. Life changing. I can't wait to tell you about it.

You know, my Katie is my very own dream catcher . . . the one who has stood by me the past 8 weeks when I lost my job, the one who has watched as her Mom threw herself into her art, the one who has heard me say to her time and time again how important it is for her to follow her dreams in life . . . Yes, my little dream catcher. She was SO supportive of me as I made some pretty tough decisions the past few months . . . and she was still supporting me. Even when I was in Minnesota and she spoke to me on the phone. My girl. *sigh*

As you know, I went to Minnesota for The Creative Connection Event, where I gathered with 700 other female artists. It was one of the most incredibly creative experiences I've ever had, and I am pretty sure I walked around the conference with a grin that stretched from ear to ear all weekend long. I am certain that everyone else thought I was crazy. But that's ok. When you are around a bunch of creative people, there is bound to be one or two crazies in the bunch.

Here are a few of the moments to share with you . . . first and foremost . . . KIKI!!! I FINALLY met my dear blog friend, Kiki, who picked me up from the airport and took me to dinner on Wednesday night. Kiki was awesome - and exactly as I always imagined her to be. From the second I walked out of the airport, I felt reunited with an old friend . . . we hugged, and I think I cried. Then we talked. And the talking didn't stop until she left on Thursday night. Seriously. LOVE Kiki!


Thursday afternoon . . . I did this . . .
Yep, I sure did.

My friends, I had an opportunity to PITCH MY CREATIVE LINE to THE BIG GUNS. We're talking . . . BIG!!!

I met face to face with four directors and product developers for four of the top gift companies out there, and it was FANTASTIC! I have to be honest - I wasn't nervous at all. There is something about starting something new that might make some people nervous - but for me, it was a dream come true. Did I get a licensing agreement? Nope. Did I get a job out of it? Nope. Was I seen? You betcha. Was I noticed? Most definitely. Were they engaged? Absolutely. Do I think they believe in me? Heck yeah! Would I do it again? In a HEARTBEAT!  Let me tell you - it was thrilling. And I was given some fantastic feedback and suggestions from these wonderful people. But most importantly, I was given what I needed most . . . . I was told, "You've GOT something here. Don't give up. Keep working at it. Keep going." And my friends, that was the MOST VALUABLE thing I could ever have been told.

It would be so easy for me to give up my dreams right now and take the safe road back in health care. It really would be. But I was told exactly what I needed, and I am so very grateful for that (thank you Margo, Ingrid, Beth and Chris!)

After the pitch slam, I met . . . KELLY RAE ROBERTS!!!!
And I cried. Yep. I'm a dork. I cried. If you have followed me for any length of time, you already know that Kelly Rae Roberts is my creative hero. I am honored to own her "Taking Flight" book, a number of her prints and a few of her home decor items. But more importantly, I have received renewed feelings of strength and peace from the messages in her artwork, and that is the biggest blessing. Kelly Rae came along in my life during a time when I desperately needed to be lifted up . . . when I was a young mom feeling lost between the role of wife, mom and employee. I didn't know who I was . . . and her work found me. When I met her, I just held my chest to help calm my beating heart. Really. And she was just as amazing and kind hearted and thoughtful and humble as I have imagined her to be. Really. Just a dear dear soul.

Every meal was spent sharing creative and engaging conversation with new friends. And the LOOT! So many generous sponsors shared so much with the attendees. I was blown away by the goodies I got to take home (and had to do some fancy shuffling of goodies at the airport, as my luggage was OVER the 50lb. limit) But here are just a few photos of some of the great stuff I now have . . . .
 
 

I took the Brave Girls Soulbook class with Melody Ross and her sister Kathy Wilkins (Brave Girls Club co-founder). Melody Ross . . . do you know her? If you don't, you should. Click her link. Get to know her. Three hours in her class have changed my life . . . seriously. LOVE her. Seriously.

I also took a class with Stacy Julian, and this lady . . . oh, dear . . . she made me laugh till I couldn't laugh any more, she made me cry (from laughing), she doesn't stop . . . not a single second of any day, I'm sure of it.  She makes the energizer bunny rabbit look slow . . . but it's ALL good.  I ADORE this lady. And I met a wonderful woman (Kathy) in this class, who I will tell you about later this week. She really was just a gem, and I can't wait to share a bit of her with you.

Yesterday morning I sat for the Woman's Entrepreneurs VIP Breakfast Panel (click the link to see who was on the panel.) It was exactly what I needed to end this amazing weekend.

SO, my friends, there you have it. A quick glimpse of the weekend.

What did I learn? SO so much. I am heading in the right direction, I CAN do this. And most importantly, I need to put my self (and my ART) . . . OUT THERE. So, I have MUCH to do in the days and weeks ahead. Step one - my business plan. Step two - set up Etsy shop. Step three  . . . . oh, I could go on and on. For now, I'll leave it with those two steps.

And, I'll leave you with one more picture of Kelly Rae and me. Because . . . I just want to.


"Did they like you, Momma? Did they like your art?" asked my little dream catcher.

"Yes, honey, they did. They liked me, and my art, very very much."

Comments

  1. Im sooo happy for you!!!!!!Awesome:O) cannot wait to hear more and sooo lucky you are to meet Kelli Rae!!!!!!!!:O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so tears of JOY are streaming down my face for YOU my sweet friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Sooo many things to be proud of here.


    1. You are so BRAVE! Oh my to pitch your idea in front of your mentor...that is BRAVE!!! I just know you were fab!:)

    2. To go alone to this event...that takes, guts my friend. And you did it!!!!

    3. To share and create and take photos and spread your sunshine all over the world...amazing!!!

    I can't wait to chat with you....I am gonna be calling this week. I'll let you catch your breathe first;)

    You are amazing!!!

    Love,
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  3. your joy and your aliveness were radiant, palpable, and energizing. so glad to have met you and shared in such a delightful experience!
    xo,
    kelly rae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tear of joy, Sweetie....Bawlin' tears of joy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am crying tears of joy for you.
    Tears friend. My three year old asked me what was wrong and all I said was " She is making her dreams come true."
    How many people can say that?
    Love your face.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leanne - I loved meeting you too! I can't wait until next time... For now, I'll hang my very own "Leanne Original" in a prominent place in my new studio :-) Hugs! ~kiki

    ReplyDelete
  7. cool cool cooooooool! SO happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never doubted you for a second!!! You're awesome...as is your work!!! You go, girl!! We're all here waiting and watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leanne!!!!!!! When I read the first sentence or two my heart sank. I have been so wrapped up in my own misery I had NO idea you lost your job. But- then I kept reading and I have goosebumps. I am BEYOND thrilled for you. I can only imagine how exciting this all must be!!! So excited to follow along on this journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Leanne,
    I really enjoyed meeting you, and sharing the pitch slam moment!! I agree, you do have something special and I wish you all the best in your creative life!!
    xoxox
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leanne, We only met once (I think,ugh) at dinner on Thur. I'm so glad I got your card, love your blog! Wishing you continued success with your pitch idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love you Love you Love YOU!!!! And you are dipdog right they all loved you too. Leanne, you are going to take the world by storm. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As they say, a picture paints 1000 words. And each one of these pictures shows you with a RADIANT smile!!! If you'd written 42 more paragraphs, you couldn't have shown your joy or your pride or your excitement any more than these pictures, which are making me tear up with happiness for you, who so deserve it all ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just an amazing experience. Ah-MAZ- ing! Thanks for sharing your joy with us. I, too, have tears in my eyes and such love for you and the amazing person you are. Can't wait to see you and hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been reading your blogs for awhile now because they inspire me. I too am in search of my place in this world but it has taken me 11 long years before I started picking myself up. I am still in the process of building my life back from the pits and I shall continue reading your blogs to remind me that I too can make things happen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!