Lock your Doors

A few weeks ago, Katie was getting ready for school and had a few minutes to spare before her bus was expected, so she asked if she could ride her scooter on the sidewalk while we waited for her school bus.

"Sure," I said, "but be careful, honey. Don't hurt yourself." I called out, as she headed toward the door. The minute I said, "don't hurt yourself", I started thinking. Why do I do that? Why do I always have to warn her, or say something like, "don't hurt yourself", "don't fall down", "don't do this or that"? It's not like she is the type of kid who heads outside and purposefully tries to fall down and hurt herself. Why can't I just let her be a kid and go and run and have fun, and not have to throw some sort of negative idea in to the air? Is that just a mother thing? Something that all mothers just have to do when their child is about to leave from their protective arms?

Hmmmm . . . I then had a flashback to my own youth, and growing up in my parents home. When I was a young woman, each and every time I left the house, my father would remind me to "lock your doors!" of the car I was either driving or riding in. I could be heading out with a sibling, or with a friend, or just with myself running an errand, and as I said good-bye to my father, he'd always always say "lock your doors!"

So, I called back for Katie to come back in the kitchen so I could explain this to her.

"Honey," I started, "I am so sorry that every time you ask me to do something, I always tell you to be careful, or not to fall, or not to get hurt. I think I do that because Grandpa Joe used to always tell me to 'lock my doors' whenever I was leaving the house, and I think I just feel like I should say something to you when you are about to leave me. I'm sorry I always do that."


"That's ok, Mom," she replied. "If saying that to me makes you feel closer to Grandpa Joe, then I am o.k. with that. So, it's ok. You call tell me whatever you want when I leave. Love you, Mom," she said.

And off she went.

Dear Lord.

He sure gives you what you need, when you need it. Doesn't He?

Here was a little doodle Katie made for me yesterday. She sure gives me what I need, when I need it, too.



Yes, it is my time to shine.

And I'm working on it, my friends. Working very hard.

Peace.

And lock your doors!

Comments

  1. I am concerned about the level of love in your house. I just don't know if you are getting enough? ;-) hahahahaha.... I am sooo happy for you. Good stuff... good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny I always tell my boys when I drop them off Love you have a great day and WASH YOUR HANDS!!! Im a Germ freak:O)Have an awesome week:O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true. I always say Be good. Make good choices. Be careful.

    What a sweet note for a sweet Mama.

    :)

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet post, Leanne. You truly are shining, in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you! I think we all have phrases that pop into our minds that bring us closer to those that we loved and lost. Funny--- I wonder what OUR kids will pull out of the things we've said to them to pass along??? :) Mine will probably be x rated. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My PG would always say to me, "Be careful" when I left for work, or to head to the Scrap Cellar, or anywhere. I finally asked him why he reminds me to be careful, as if I'd forget. He said it was just his way of saying he loves me (even though he prefaces the "Be Careful" with "I love ya". So I asked him to change it to something positive. He now says, "I know you'll be careful."

    Nice to be loved, isn't it!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That girl is too precious. Really. My heart just swelled x10. They sure know how to get us like that don't they?
    In our house, my husband and I always say "I love you" and "Be careful"...now my 3 year old says it. It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a darling daughter.

    In France people are always yelling caution to their kids and then once they reach adolescence, it's hand's off as far as parenting goes. They let them do whatever they want. I don't entirely agree with all that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!