Oh . . . Anxiety

Have I told you about my sister-in-law, Maria? She makes me laugh, BIG TIME. Always has. Always will.

I bought these hats for us after we visited the Pennsylvania Amish this past September.
I thought it would be funny if we each wore them when talking on the phone, to connect us.
Hmmmm . . . I wonder if she wears hers.
Maria lives in New York, and I am here in Chicago. While we don't get to see each other nearly as often as we would like, our time spent together is usually filled with lots of adventures and many many laughs. And each visit MUST allow ample time to catch up . . . on our ailments. Yes, the physical ailment kind. It's kind of become our thing . . . almost like there isn't another living soul who would understand the silliness of our deadly spider bites or broken hip bones (both we have diagnosed each other with at various points of our friendship . . . and neither being quite accurate.) I guess that is what makes our relationship so wonderful - we listen to each other and support our hypochondriac selves and then go about our business without any other discussion. Yep. That's what we do.

So, I was thrilled that she was in town last week. We had lots to discuss . . . between carpal tunnel, sore hips, falling into bathtubs (nope . . . not me), reflux, nutritionists, shoulder injuries, Wii injuries, sore shoulders, you name it - we discussed.

The last evening of their stay, Maria, her dear husband Angelo and I sat up for hours having one of our talks. I started, by discussing my reflux.

I have reflux.

Or, I think I have reflux.

So, I updated Maria and Angelo (who patiently listened with concern) on all of my symptoms and the time frame surrounding my most recently Dr. WebMD diagnosis. As any good therapists, Maria and Angelo listened. They questioned. They listened some more. Then, Angelo diagnosed.

"I don't think you have reflux. I think it's anxiety," he announced.

"What?" I asked, totally certain that I did NOT have anxiety.

"It's anxiety. Think about it . . . "

So, I have been thinking about it.

A lot.

Anxiety.

I don't have anxiety. Do I? I mean, this is ME. Leanne. I'm in control . . . right? I'm living a happy life . . . right? I believe in PEACE. I strive for BALANCE. I pride myself on enjoying the little things. What do I have to be anxious about? I lost my job . . . yes . . . but I have a supportive husband who is really allowing me as much time as I need to do what I really want to do. I have two healthy and amazing daughters. I have my health. We have a roof over our heads, food on our table, love in our hearts. What in the world do I have to be anxious about?

So, I took to the Internet. But this time, I gave Dr. WebMD a break. Because, you know, this called for serious measures. This time, I visited Dr. Mayo Clinic.

So . . . the symptoms, according to Dr. Mayo Clinic:
  • Constant worrying or obsession about small or large concerns (ummm . . .yep, that's me)
  • Restlessness and feeling keyed up or on edge (check)
  • Fatigue (yep)
  • Difficulty concentrating or your mind "going blank" (uh-huh)
  • Irritability (ask PG . . . he'd say "DEFINITELY")
  • Muscle tension or muscle aches (a few)
  • Trembling, feeling twitchy or being easily startled (did I mention I think I have restless leg syndrome)
  • Trouble Sleeping (have you seen me playing facebook games at 3am?)
  • sweating, nausea or diarrhea (Ok, I draw the line . . . really TMI, don't you think?)
  • shortness of breath or rapid heartbeat (possibly)
So, anxiety.

It could be.

Now, before you go and leave a comment about how important it is for me to seek proper medical care, I understand and I will. Really. But right now . . . TODAY . . . I am going to try and make some changes to my lifestyle and home that might help me get a handle on what I am feeling. Because I've been off. You know that I have, because I keep writing about it here.

So . . . the lifestyle and home remedies, according to Dr. Mayo Clinic:
  • Get daily exercise (oh boy - this is a BIG ONE, and I HAVE GOT TO DO IT. TODAY.)
  • Eat a healthy diet - avoid fatty, sugary and processed foods. Include foods in your diet that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids (flaxseed, walnuts, soy beans, kidney beans, salmon) and B vitamins (spinach,
    butternut squash, carrots, tomatoes, mushrooms, cabbage, beef, milk, cheese)
  • Avoid alcohol and other sedatives (oh, ok)
  • Use relaxation techniques (visualization techniques, meditation, yoga)
  • Make sleep a priority (REALLY need to find a restful state 
So, this is where I am at today.

Anxiety.

Thank you, Maria and Angelo, for bringing this to light. And thank you, blog buddies, for sticking by me. I'll keep you posted on my progress . . . by the way, do you ever feel anxiety? How do you handle it? Leave me a comment . . . I'd love to know. Really.

Peace.



Comments

  1. Oh sweets...
    I'm so sorry about this.
    I have anxiety disorder on top of the bipolar disorder, but I have to take medication for it. It's a must. But not all people need to take medications. You've listed some very awesome things that you can do.
    But also know that it's perfectly ok for you to take medication if it ever came to that point (which I hope it never does)...you're doing a lot of changes in your life right now, that adds to the stress and chaos internally.
    I'll be sending you tons of strength. You can do this.
    PS. Make sure you do lots of self loving...no not that kind you pervert (hee hee)...but taking time out for you to enjoy the small things in life like reading a book, going to get a pedicure...things like that.
    Hugs
    xoxo
    PPS so proud of you for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to thank you for the nice comment you left on my "new hair for a new year" post on ww.bitsofeverything.com. It's fun to read your blog and get to know you a little better. I wish you luck with your anxiety. I think we all have it to some degree or other. I'll be thinking of you! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a VERY anxious person...I can totally, 100% drive my family NUTS with how anxious I get. And I have many of those symptoms...

    I think by doing all the To-Do's on the list will help. For me eating healthy and working out is huge! When I'm doing it it works miracles!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honey...Sweetie...My dear, dear friend...
    I see you have consulted with another before consulting with me.

    Yes, we value that our patients get 2nd opinions. But really...you didn't even come to me for a first opinion. Those crazy New Yorkers better be glad they got outta town in one piece!!!

    But alas, I will not add to your anxiety by tossing a guilt trip your way. And to be honest, I think Ang has nailed it.

    So yes, exercise, back off on the sugar, take a Vitamin B complex (time released) each day, and journal. And put those Tums away. That's Dr. PK's Rx.

    I'm thinking if you load down your "gotta do" list you'll foster more anxiety, so do this in baby steps and reward the small accomplishments.

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do not be afraid, you are suffering from stress. Excessive amounts of stress can begin to manifest itself as feelings of anxiety (trust me, I talk to people who are suffering from the same symptoms as you are all the time). The things you've listed can really help, but if you would like more info on anxiety to see if your systems match the DSM diagnosis, go to www.psych.org and search DSM-IV-TR.
    Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Moly! We basically wrote (close to) the same thing. I don't know how you do it - but you slip your posts by me, and I don't see them until the next day. WEIRD! Though, I talked about Panic Disorder and thank GOD you don't have that.

    CHILLAX.... it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love our time together. I feel like I will also start to consult Peggy and get a Post Nasal diagnosis! Peggy, are you taking new clients??? You are truly amazing, that is why you suffer from anxiety, it is a lot of work to be as wonderful as you. And yes, I do wear my hat, every time that we speak on the phone, I am wearing it right now as I type this!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ironically I only get anxiety over physical ailments. And then I take drugs for the anxiety because it makes the physical ailments worse.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!