Two New Reasons Why I Love this Man

Well, we made it! We just returned home from a 2 day trip to Milwaukee, Wisconsin where we enjoyed a fun-packed trip of Wisconsin State Fair on one day, and Milwaukee County Zoo on the other. The girls had the best time, and I (hot and cranky) discovered two new reasons why I love my husband.

It was pretty awesome when it happened. I was going about the day just enjoying what we were doing, and suddenly it’s like a lightning bolt hit me and . . . . love. So let me take a moment, if you don’t mind, and share with you why I love PG (oh, yes, that’s my husband. Phil. Affectionately known as “PG” aka “Phil Guy”. I’ll share that story another time.)

Reason #1: For making our reservation at The Iron Horse Hotel. When I mentioned to PG a few weeks ago that we should go away for a couple days, he jumped right on it (even though he does so much traveling for his work, he jumps at any adventure opportunity with either me or me and the girls). He quickly found the perfect place for us to stay, and made the reservations. It wasn’t until the night before we were leaving for our trip that I finally took a look at the website for The Iron Horse Hotel. And I was immediately nervous. Not because I didn’t think it would be nice - I mean, I KNEW it would be amazing. BUT you have to admit when looking at the website – it doesn’t quite look like the “family” kind of hotel that people with two young children would visit. Maybe the Harley Davidson motorcycle in the lobby gave that away, or the description on the website that it was geared for business travelers and motorcycle enthusiasts. I mean, I like motorcycles . . . I saw the movie “Wild Hogs” and thought it was hysterical. But I don’t think that necessarily fits the “motorcycle enthusiast” definition. Well, PG convinced me (after calling the hotel and being told “OF COURSE we love children here!”) that we would be fine. We arrived Friday evening after a long, hot, exhausting day at the Wisconsin State Fair. We looked like we had been dragged through the mud (and probably smelled like it, too). The staff greeted us when we pulled up and braved opening the back of our mini-van (who in God’s name is brave enough to open the back of a mini-van when you know the people are coming from out-of-town?) And I could immediately tell that this hotel was amazing. Quickly PG checked us in and we were led to our room (the doorman insisted on accompanying us up to our room) and finally I was able to breathe knowing that their other guests would not be subjected to the chaotic site of us. Our room was beautiful. The whole place was stunning, modern, sexy, just amazing. The building was over 100 years old and originally was home to a mattress factory. It had been completely restored and was just magnificent. Still, I kept thinking, “Oh, no, we should not be here with the girls. This place is too nice. There are no kids here . . . ” and on and on and on. Finally, PG realized that I was putting myself through some sort of internal hell and he looked at me and said, “Honey, would you rather be here with the girls and have all of this to experience? Or . . . not experience it at all?” I stopped and thought about it . . . and he was completely right. And at that moment . . . I realized why I love this man.

Reason #2: For making me laugh. Always. After a good night’s rest at the Iron Horse, we made way to the Milwaukee County Zoo for another hot day with lots and lots of walking. We had lots of adventures at the zoo that I’ll try and fill you in on at another time. But there is just one moment I want to tell you about now. We had hit pretty close to the end of our zoo trip and exhaustion was about to set in. We had brought our wagon from home (which didn’t get much use, as Ella really prefers to walk everywhere . . . of course she does, why wouldn’t she?) Just as we were approaching a long curvy hill, PG decides to SIT ON THE WAGON, with a leg on each side, and coasts all the way down the hill . . . while sitting . . . on the wagon. Mind you, this wagon is not made for 200+ lb. individuals. Nope, not at all. I stood at the top of the hill and at first thought, “Oh, Lord, those wheels are going to break for sure”, but ended up laughing hysterically as I walked down the hill. I laughed not only because of the view of PG from behind, straddling this wagon and riding down the hill, with Katie and Ella running after him shouting, “Daddy!!! Wait for me! Daddy!!!” But I laughed because as I made the way down this long hill, far behind PG, I saw the reactions of all those people he had passed while going on his ride. And they were laughing. Most of them stopped walking just to watch him (they probably had the same thought I had about the wheels), and every single one of them had a smile on their face. I walked pass a group of folks and said, “That’s MY man” and they roared with laughter. Yes, that was my man. And at that moment . . . I was reminded why I love this man.

So this was a pretty wonderful weekend. We had some amazing family time with our daughters, we had lots of laughs, very few tears, and two moments when a mommy realizes why she loves her man. Yes, a very good weekend for all!

Comments

  1. A gift he gave to strangers...a smile. We would expect nothing less of PG!!! And let's face it, Leanne...if all he got out of it was one of YOUR smiles, it would be worth it for him. So it's all bonus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks babe. Finally read the blog - I have been meaning to for days - especially since Touhy asked me "did you read what Leanne wrote about you in her blog?". At first I cringed a little thinking it was probably something bad or insensitive I did, but she said "no, it was so sweet, it makes me want to be nicer to my husband!" Love you too sweetheart...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!