There she goes. . .

What is it about that first day of school excitement . . . for a Mom? I never realized that I, the Mom, would be so excited, nervous, and full of tears just seeing the bus turn the corner to pick up my child and take her to school. Katie started First Grade (number 1, the beginning, the start of it all) today. She will now be in school, for the next 16+ years (God willing). I sat at the kitchen table this morning trying to come up with that one sentence that would make a difference in her life, that would solve all her problems and send her out there into the world ready for anything. The one that would leave her hungry for knowledge and confident to ask for it. The statement that would turn her into the first female President of the United States, or a brain surgeon, or an artist, or a teacher, or all of the above. But it just didn't come. How do you sum up all of those thoughts in one, or even a few, sentences? All I could say was, "Honey, if you work really hard and if you learn all that you can learn, you can do anything."

If you are a Mom reading this, who has already sent your kids on to school, you probably understand what I'm talking about. I wanted to say to the bus driver, "Hey, listen, this is MY child you are driving to school. You don't know this - but she is going to do great things in her life. So smile at her. Say 'hello' to her. Take care of her like she is your own, ok?" But I didn't. I watched my daughter, my first born, get on the bus and start this most exciting chapter of her life. Wow. . . I can't even remember what I felt like when I was 6. I don't expect Kate to remember alot about this day, either. But at least through this blog she will someday be able to read about it. And know exactly how proud her Mommy was of her. I Love you, Katie. Always.

Comments

  1. It's hard to believe she's in first grade already!! I'm sure she had great stories to tell when she got home! And the best thing is, no matter how old they get, you'll always be proud of them. Even when they have kids of their own. Congrats, Mommy....you got her thru the next "step".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!