NO Scary Movies!

I don't care what you say about them . . . scary movies are NO FUN for me. I just came to this realization a couple years ago - right about the time I was sitting in our local movie theater with some dear neighbors and friends, watching that Rob Zombie's Halloween Movie. It was 2007, and I remember the moment like it was yesterday.

. . . it was about 30 minutes into the movie, and I couldn't see anything. Why? you ask? Because I had tucked the greasy buttered popcorn napkin over my glasses (I was desperate) in an attempt to block out having to look at the horrific scenes being played on the screen before me. Then I decided to block out the sound of the movie as well, as I stuck my buttered popcorn hands over my ears, and started rocking back and forth in my seat. Yes, I was that terrified (and I was quite a scene to those around me, I am sure.) That movie was so gross and scary and horrific to me. I could not watch it, or hear it, at all. So there I was sitting in the theater, next to my dear friends, with a napkin covering my eyes and my hands over my ears. . . . until I actually starting scaring MYSELF with my own heavy breathing. I must have said "J.C." (not the abbreviation, but the real words) 100 times during that film. . . forgive me, Father (the dear Lord up above must have thought I was calling him all night). When the movie was finally over, my neighbors were quite entertained, and I made a promise to never return to a scary movie AGAIN!!!!

. . . fast forward one year, to 2008, and The Strangers. Not sure how it happened, but those same dear neighbors and friends convinced me to go to yet ANOTHER scary movie (they do this to me ALL OF THE TIME - something happens around this time of year - it's as if I feel a scary movie is required.) Liv Tyler starred in this one. I like Liv Tyler, so I thought for sure this would be a little more of a "story" than just a horror flim. Nope, I was wrong. However this time. . . I was prepared. My friends laughed as I pulled a black eye mask out of my purse (it took me a while to get the popcorn butter off of my eye glasses the year before, so this time I was prepared.) And believe me. . . .I wore that eye mask through probably 70% of the movie. If you have seen The Strangers, you'll know that there is a scene from the movie when a "bad person" character knocks on the door and says to Liv Tylers character, "Is Tamara Home?" That line has been shared between my friend Sherri and I quite often since that movie, as it always brings us back to that evening in the theater. . . when I, once again, was scared half to death and probably called out for the Lord about 100 times. At the end, I swore I would NEVER return to a scary film.

. . . . this year. . . . I DIDN'T DO IT!!! NO SIR - NO WAY - NO HOW!!! Even though my dear friend Sherri begged me to go with her to see Paranormal Activity, I said "NO"! This film was just released this month, and I don't know if you've heard anything about it . . . I have heard a couple things, and let me tell you - I knew very early on that there was NO WAY I was going to see this one. SO, tonight . . . my dear husband went in my place. SERIOUSLY! He has been dying to see this movie - so he went with my dear neighbor Sherri, as Sherri's husband and I stayed home. SERIOUSLY! I don't mind, at all. I actually think it was the best decision I could have made. Tonight, I will be sleeping with the lights off and getting a good nights rest. While my husband will probably need some assurance that there aren't any visitors in our bedroom tonight. . .

Nope . . . No Shining, No Exorcist, No Amityville Horror for me.

Instead, a good "Chick Flick" like Moonstruck, Steele Magnolias, Little Women, When Harry Met Sally, Julie and Julia are just perfect. I now prefer to enjoy my life through "Rose Colored Glasses" . . . not "Buttered Popcorn Glasses" . . . . and I find that it's a much better view, for me!

Comments

  1. I'm with ya, Sistah - 100% of the way on this one!! My kids will start telling PG and I about a movie, and they will interject, "You won't like this movie, Mom" because they just know. It's more the gore than the suspense. If there's no violence, I love a good, suspense movie. It's the gore. Can't stand it..won't watch it!! I'll take a chick flick any time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so funny....just found this...reminds me of when we all watched Scream. I HATE scary movies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!