Christmas Story #1 - Santa and his Hot Air Balloon

Ok - Not to stress anyone out - but as of today . . . .Christmas is 22 days away!!! 22 days!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!

I tell you this NOT because I want you to run out and get your Christmas shopping done (you already know that I am trying to make this years Holiday about so much more than the gift part.) I tell you this because I can't believe how fast the days are going and Christmas is going to be here (and gone - sniff sniff) before we know it. So, this is what I am going to do - I am going to make it my personal goal to make every single one of the next 22 days the very HAPPIEST and BEST days that I possibly can. As if EVERY ONE of the next 22 days is Christmas. Let me explain . . .

You see, I can remember that feeling of "let down" that comes after every Christmas. Don't you? After all the lights are turned off and
the decorations come down. After the radio stations go back to their usual line-ups and that winter chill really starts to set in. Bummer. But let's not go there yet, ok? Let's put all of that behind us, shall we? Today, and for the next 22 days, I want to enjoy this . . . the SPIRIT of this Season. Before it's over. I know - hard to believe this is coming from the same girl who just two short days ago was . . . . blah. But I don't know what happened. Somewhere in the midst of my "blahness" a little bit of Holiday joy found its way into my heart, and now I'm there. I'm ready. I'm in line and feeling it. (Fa la La la La la laaaa laaaa laaaaaaaa! Oh, gees, there I go again!)

To coincide with my "Making the next 22 days the Very Best", I really want to focus on the special moments of this time of year. I hope to share (as often as my brain allows) special moments, memories, and stories about this season. So, for todays special story, I give you "Santa Around the Globe."

One of the most prized home decoration items we have (that is - next to our nativity), is this:
Phil and I purchased this "Santa Around the Globe" decoration about 11 years ago - shortly after we were married. It was the very first Christmas decoration we bought "TOGETHER" (as husband and wife). We bought it from a lovely little Christmas Store in Long Grove, Illinois (I just LOVE Long Grove!) and I can remember the moment when we first saw it so vividly. I remember it was $49.95 - which, to a newly married couple with a small monthly income, was a HUGE amount of money. (It still is alot of money, and I would probably not make such a purchase today. But back then, we splurged!)

The Santa/hot air balloon end is battery operated, and the little propellar causes the Santa to "fly" around the globe. I remember standing in that store in Long Grove, looking at all of their little battery operated decorations (they had a few other styles that I can't quite remember), but THIS one just spoke to us. Standing at the register as we were being checked out, I remember thinking, "Oh My Goodness! I can't believe I am spending $50 on this decoration. I must be nuts!" Yep - I am!

It is always the very first decoration that goes up every year, and Phil is always the one to put it up. It's so funny how when we bought it, we didn't have any children. Now, our little girls sit on the couch in the living room (which is the room where this decoration stays) and they look up at the Santa flying around the Globe with the absolute brightest eyes, LOVING it just as much as Phil and I did when we first saw it. Absolutely Magical. They both just adore this decoration, and wait with great anticipation for Phil or I to turn it on, so they can dream of Santa flying around the world. How great is that?

I don't often have buyers remorse. Age has taught me that you have to live with the decision made in life, good or bad. Back 11 years ago, as a newly married couple, the guilt of spending $50 on a Christmas decoration might have been a little stronger and I know I carried that with me for a while. I have to tell you - it was the best $50 we've ever spent on anything for Christmas. And each year, when I see the box that holds this "Santa and Globe" as it makes it's way down from the attic, a HUGE smile appears upon my face. THIS is Christmas in our house. And I love it.

Comments

  1. This post was GREAT!!! Thanks, Leanne for the reminder. I am gonna make these next 22 days AMAZING!!

    I just am so happy I have found such a neat friend out here in the Blog world!!:)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a cool story! Do you know what company made that "Santa Around the Globe"? I've been searching and can't seem to find any one else but you who has this wonderful Christmas decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Never mind. It appears to be "Possible Dreams" "Flights of Fancy" collection. If you bought it 11 years ago you have more than just a collectable. It's been retired and they won't be making any more of them. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!