Christmas Story #2 - The COOKIES!!

I don't know about you - but one of the fondest Christmas memories I have while growing up in my family (next to the obvious celebration of the birth of Our Lord), is CHRISTMAS COOKIES!!!! And, dear Lord forgive us . . . my family really OUT DID themselves on the Christmas Cookie front. We are the family who bakes cookies through the month of December (usually 2 weeks prior to Christmas) and freezes them in festive cookie tins, then brings them out on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day morning, and displays them in all their goodness on beautiful platters and plates.

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister, so growing up there always seemed to be alot of activity going on in our house, especially around the Holidays. Mom would actually have to TAPE the lids to the cookie tins closed, to try and keep my brothers from going into the freezer and snacking on her hard work. One year I remember Mom pulling out a tin of these delicious cream cheese filled crescents, and the tin was EMPTY! Not even a crumb was left! (Certainly did not make for a happy Mother on Chrismas morning, but we all laugh about it now.) I went through some fairly recent photos of some prior Christmas Holidays, and found just a couple pictures of our cookies to share with you today.

(2003)

(2004)

At first I laughed that we actually took so many photos of our cookie trays. (We actually take a lot of photos of our food in general - I'm certain there is a therapy session in there, somewhere!) But then I thought, "I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking photos of our cookie trays!" I mean, what's not to love about it? However, it looks to me like, in recent years, we tend to repeat all the "favorites" and do less and less new recipes. What is that saying - If it's not broke, don't fix it?

(2005)

I remember being a young child and joining my Mom in the kitchen as she baked and baked all December. My mom was (is) a remarkable cook. And her Christmas Cookie baking was absolutely outstanding. I remember she would make lists of all the cookies she'd plan on baking (just as my sister and I do now) and there would be 15 to 20 different types of cookies on them. Seriously! I found this great photo of me and Katie from last Christmas, baking baking baking:

(2008)

This photo reminds me of my Mom and me. Katie and Ella both LOVE spending time in the kitchen with me, either baking or cooking. They definitely appreciate the process of creating something yummy. This Christmas will be no exception, and I can't wait. Do you have any family favorite cookie recipes? Let's share! Next week I'll share with you our family recipe for Butter Krisps (my absolute all time FAVORITE Christmas Cookie!) Do you have an all-time favorite that you couldn't live without? Tell me about it . . . I'm looking to add to my list this year! (Maybe I'll have to make those cream cheese filled crescents - for old times sake!)

Comments

  1. yummmmm.... I'll take one of each. And three of the butter krisps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, PK! In my book - any cookie recipe that has "BUTTER" in the title is a definite keeper! (I think I was Paula Deen in a past life!)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Can't wait to make some cookies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!