Christmas Story # 3 - My Top 20 Songs

So, PG had to leave super early today for a business trip to Atlanta (sniff sniff) . . . I'll be pulling out the ol'Starbucks Amore mug this week (sigh). The alarm went off at 3:30 AM, he was showered and out the door by 4:00 AM, and I was staring at the ceiling at 4:15 AM. . . . with a little song in my head. It goes like this . . .

Over the ground lies a mantle of white,
a heaven of diamonds shine down thro' the night,
two hearts are thrillin' in spite of the chill in . . . the weather.

Do you know that song? It is actually the opening verse of "Winter Wonderland". You know - the "Sleigh bells ring, are you listening? In the lane, snow is glistening. . . " song? Most versions do not include that little beginning verse. But when I was back in GLEE (eh-hem, I mean, my High School Show Choir), we performed the song with that little opening part. . . harmonies and all. And it was pretty much - perfect (I know, I don't like to use that word because I really think it puts too much pressure on the subject at hand. But in this case, I do remember our Show Choir performing it just . . . perfectly!)

Anyway, last night on Facebook an old high school friend posted something about the snow reminding him of Caroling, which then reminded me about our Glee Club performing at Christmastime, which prompted me to comment on his post about the above quoted song, which lead to him responding that we should all get together just to sing Christmas songs together, which made me wish that I had someone with me in this room so they could harmonize with me and sing this song with me, which lead to my 4:15 AM staring at the ceiling scenario of me in bed . . . with this song in my head. Whew. . . that was a mindful!

Anyway, so I started thinking about the Songs of Christmas which really speak to me. Do you have any of those? I do. . . . A LOT! So, allow me to share with you.

Favorite Song # 1: Has to be, hands down, the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version of Little Drummer Boy. I absolutely love this song. I remember listening to it back in the day when I lived at my parents home and shared a room with my sister. We would turn the stereo WAY UP when this was on the radio. I remember picking up the 45 (I'm REALLY old!) and being SO EXCITED to have that.

Favorite Song #2: This was close in running for #1, Band Aid's "Do they know it's Christmas Time" from 1985. Another memory of being in my room with my sister and jamming (YES, we were JAMMING to Band Aid . . . . is there anything wrong with that?) I think that was when I started my crush on Bono from U2. I remember thinking he was the hottest thing since . . . since . . . Scott Baio on Joanie loves Chachi (yes, I said that.) Oh, and George Michael - SO hot! Yeah . . . well, if I knew then what I know now. ; ) Still and all - it is a great song.

Favorite Song #3: Of course, the ever popular White Christmas. Once again, a memory shared with my sister. But this time we were not in our room at home "jamming". This time the memory takes me to Busch Gardens in, I believe Williamsburg, Virigina. One of the only times that just my sister and I vacationed with my parents alone, while my brothers stayed home that summer and worked. I was probably in my mid-teens. And my sister and I decided to go into one of those "Recording Studios" and make a cassette of our fabu voices. The only thing was, that we got the giggles while recording and hardly made it through the session. I don't think the guy recording us found us as completely hysterical as we found ourselves. I do believe we had to start over like 4 or 5 times. Then when we stepped out of the recording booth, they had our song playing on the speakers outside. Our Mom was "so proud of her girls" and my sister and I were both mortified and still hysterical, wiping laughter tears from our eyes as we walked out. I'm sure I have that tape cassette somewhere. I'll have to look for it.

Favorite Song #4 & 5: Has to bring me right to my Glee Club. Winter Wonderland and Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Something about all of those harmonies and actually singing with an ensemble. Pretty cool moments back then, that will always keep those songs in my heart.

Favorite Songs #6-18: Absolutely ALL of the songs on this CD: Peter, Paul and Mary: A Holiday Celebration. Probably not the most recognizable songs, but truly the BEST Classic and traditional songs that bring me to tears and send chills through me when listening to it. Makes me VERY HAPPY every holiday season. Give it a try, for real!

Favorite Song #19: not your typcial Christmas tune, but I could listen to this one over and over (and probably have at some dramatic time in my life). That is, Same Old Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg. Totally aging myself with this one, too. But I think it's a classic and still love it.

And NEVER to be forgotten, Favorite Songs # 20: What are you doing New Year's Eve? by my girl, Ella Fitzgerald. That voice that was like no other. Love her so much, had to name my daughter after her.

So there you have it - my Top 20 Christmas Songs. I actually started off this blog just thinking about the first 3, but then, how could I leave the others out? (That's just not right!) And I do think I'm about ready to sleep again. Unfortunately, it's now 5:45 AM and time to start my day . . . ugh! Thanks for going through this music stroll with me and I wish you Happy Christmas Music Listening today! Be back soon!

Comments

  1. I just gotta laugh, Leanne as I was thinking about doing this same post!!:)

    Love your new Blog look, too and that quote from Yes, Virginia...we are just so alike in the Christmas department!!

    I LOVE the Bing Crosby/David Bowie classic. I am a radio DJ and I always played that!! I remember watching it live on his Christmas special!! (I'm old, too)

    Here a few of my faves...

    Silver Bells...I love the John Davidson version...but any version will do.

    Judy Garland's I'll be Home for Christmas is AMAZING!!

    Wham's Last Christmas is a favorite. Weird, huh? I have many more...you'll have to read them on my blog.

    Have a GREAT Day Leanne!!:)

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember doing Silver Bells in GLEE! (Chamber Singers) with the three groups - LOVE that! And the "Baby its cold out there" song by Dean Martin! But the all time favorite memory is listening to the Boston Pops christmas special while putting up the tree at my parents! EVERY year! Now I miss it! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running over right now to harmonize with you!....well, maybe Saturday....
    I did a similar list in my December Daily on Sunday!
    Ella is named after Ella? I didn't know that!
    Over the ground likes a mantle of white.....yep, gal, I know all the words still too....can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ALL these songs!!! And the reason why we were laughing so hard in the recording studio is because we had to stand really really close to each other and share one microphone. That was a little difficult because of someone's upper body parts, which kept bumping into the other person, which then forced us into the giggles. It was a hoot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite song is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" -- I don't think I've even heard it this year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!