LIfe, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

(photo of the Lincoln Memorial taken by PG in 2008)

The bags are packed and I am ready! Tomorrow I'm heading to Washington, D.C., to join PG in a much anticipated visit to our Nation's Capitol, and I am SO excited. PG is there for work, and I am flying out to meet him tomorrow evening, where we will spend the next few days exploring as much of this historic city as we possibly can. We've never visited D.C. together before, and I can't wait. I visited Washington D.C. twice before, and each visit included at least one magical moment that sent shivers through me. I can't help but wonder what moments the next few days might bring.

I must have been around 17 years old the very first time I visited. I was traveling on summer vacation with my parents and my sister. We started that trip in Virigina, making stops at Monticello, Richmond and Williamsburg, and finally ended up in D.C. While I can't recall all of the trip (I was in the tail end of those rebellious teen years, you know, and I did have a "walk-man"!), I do remember the feeling of pride and honor that I felt to be an American. I vividly remember driving near the Capitol building one evening - it was already dark outside and the Capitol was lit up so beautifully against the dark night sky. As we got closer to the building, we could hear music playing. First softly, then louder and louder as we approached. To our surprise, there, on the steps of the Capitol, was an orchestra playing American Anthems. Right there on the steps. The Battle Hymn of the Republic, America the Beautiful, My Country Tis of Thee. I remember feeling so choked up at that moment. It felt like a dream.

The second time I went to DC was when my eldest brother, an attorney, was sworn in to argue cases at the Supreme Court level. My mom and I attended this ceremony, which must have been limited to about 50 or 75 attorneys. We sat in the court looking directly at the Supreme Court Justices (all of them), and watched as my brother received this amazing and special honor to argue cases at this level. The Supreme Court. Wow. Just saying it now sends a chill up my arm. I don't think I ever realized how hard my brother worked in his schooling and career until that very moment. I remember specifically seeing Justice Ruth Ginzberg. I remember thinking "You Go Girl!" It felt like a dream.

So, for the next few days I'll be off finding some more moments like these, in what I feel is one of the most important places in our nation. It doesn't matter to me what political party you follow or what your opinions may be of our leader or our government. The fact that you have your beliefs, I have mine, and we can still be friends, is exactly what makes living in this country so amazing. And I am proud to be an American. So very very proud.

As Memorial Day approaches, I'm certain I'll have many moments thinking about those men and women who gave their lives so that I could have mine. And I can't think of a better place to be, than Washington D.C.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness . . . " - Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

Whatever you do this weekend, I hope it is a wonderful one for you! I'll be thinking of all of you, and hope to share some photos from our ADVENTURE with you next week. Go out and have some adventures yourself, ok???



p.s., Did I mention that the girls are staying home with Grandma, Grandma, Auntie and Uncle? And that PG and I are having dinner with friends of ours (GROWN UP FRIENDS) in DC on Friday evening? Did I mention that I actually went out and bought a cute little summer dress to wear for the dinner? And that I probably will have REALLY GROWN UP conversation about ... grown up things? SERIOUSLY!



p.s.s. Did I mention I was excited??



; )

Comments

  1. This is really awesome! I am so excited for you. Can't wait to find out what "arm chill" moment happened for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful fond memories Leanne. I've never been to D.C but I'd love to take my son there one day. Ever since we saw National Treasure he's been asking us to go. I hope you have a great time with PG and that you get a chance to find those magical moments again. Then tell us all about it when you get back! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time, Leanne!! I'm sure the girls won't be TOO spoiled by the time you get back! ;)

    Love your recap of your previous visits.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time! I love Washington DC. I always get big lumps in my throat when I visit the memorials!

    P.S. How did the grown-up conversation go? I am still trying to have one.... I am sure I'll remember how after awhile!

    Give us a full report when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Leanne!! I LOVE D.C. and I LOVE that you put part of the Declaration in your blog today. My family and I are HUGE Constitution and Declaration people. I mean we actually study this stuff and are trying hard to learn all we can about our Founding Fathers!!

    What an honor for your brother and how cool you got to be at the Supreme Court!! WOW!!!!!

    Enjoy your trip, girlie!!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting, wonderful and lovely! Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on having a grown-up weekend! DC will be gorgeous this weekend, and I can't wait to read about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!