My Little Birdies and Me

It's raining pretty heavily in Chicago today. Most of the patio furniture has blown over, and the large swing we have in our backyard has found a relaxing spot up against the fence. We are doing some new landscaping in the front of our home, so the new lilac bushes and weigela bushes are soaking in all of the rain and feeling right at home in their new surroundings.

Crankville is in the distance. Not quite out of site - but close. Nothing like a good solid rain day to wash away the blues. PG is on his way to Las Vegas for work. Just a quick day trip there and back. The girls are settled in with their daily school and Grandma routines, and I am on my way to the dungeon (again! I know!!!) It's good. It's all good. I'm feeling a calmness over my spirit today. There is something so comforting about rain. Cleansing. Settling.

Did I ever tell you about where this LOVE of birds comes from?

My Dad liked to watch birds. He wasn't a "Binocular Bird Watching" kind of guy, but he still appreciated a good bird when he saw one. My parents had a lovely tree in the backyard of my childhood home, and it was regularly visited by cardinals. I can't rememer what kind of tree it was, but often you would see a cardinal perched from it's top branches ... singing it's little heart out. My Dad just loved to watch and listen to that cardinal for as long as the bird would let him. He would often call me outside with him to watch a bird, and we would stand there side by side, as the bird would serenade the sweetest song in the world to us. Those were always good days, good moments, with Dad. Calm and peaceful. I'd give anything for a moment like that again.

It seems like whenever I visit Crankville, it's not long when thoughts of my Dad and these little birds come to surface. And it is usually during those periods that I pray for a sign, some kind of sign, that Dad is still with me. That I'm not alone. And that everything is ok. That everything is GOOD.

This morning I sat drinking my coffee and looking out our front window at the new landscaping area. The new plants are in and the ground is prepared for the new rock (which was supposed to come today, however I think it will be delayed due to the weather.) All of a sudden, as I gazed lazily out on the lawn, a little cardinal came and landed right in the middle of a muddy area. Right there, in front of me. The birdie wasn't singing, but was busily searching for a worm at a happy little pace. And it made me smile.

Thank you, little bird, for always being just what I need. Even on a rainy day. And thanks, Dad, for being there too.

Comments

  1. Very touching post, calm and serene. Glad you had a good morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Ashley. A very calm and serene post. Thanks for sharing your stories, what a great way to remember you dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sweet and very touching Leanne. It's amazing how a good rain can work wonders sometimes. It'll be 6 yrs this summer since my Dad's been gone and everyday I talk to him in the car after I've dropped off my son. Just let him know I know he's watching over us. Glad the trip to Crankville was a short one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog just gets cuter and cuter every single day and i didn't think that was possible - it's so cute!

    Thanks for the sweet get well wishes yesterday - feeling a ton better today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne, this is wonderful. So calming and spiritual. I love rainbows because they remind me of my Dad who has been gone for nearly 14 years {wow, is that possible??}

    So happy Crankville is almost just a memory.

    And I agree with one of the comments. Your blog is DARLING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like the rain in Chicago! WE lived ther for 4 years for school. I do miss the change of seasons, just a bit! But not in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have to tell you how weird that was to read! When I was very young, my good friend's mom passed away very young, my friend was 13 at the time. After she passed, a cardinal suddenly started showing up around the house - it was her moms favorite bird. To this day, 30 years later, I still say it is a good sign when I see a cardinal - because someone special is with me. Never fails - cant believe you told this story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS!! Leanne, I checked out that Kelly Rae class and guess what?! I am going to be your classmate!! Hope that is okay with you. Think we'll have FUN!!!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww. Loved this post. Glad Crankville is long gone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, SERENITY!!! You put me right in that place!! Thank you!

    As soon as I saw the little birdies in your header, I thought about how calming it is to listen to the cardinals in my yard! Hadn't expected the story!! What a pleasant surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're so funny! You have my top 3 books on your nightstand... I knew you had good taste ;) PLEASE do post on your book list - I need more suggestions!

    SO fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the little birdies and I can't believe I forgot to tell you earlier! I like how they popped up on your banner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yeah for birds and for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sweet! Love the image of the birds and your dad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!