It's my *bleep*day . . .

Well . . . today is . . . my birthday. Yes, it is. And please, no need to "birthday" comment. Really. You see, I'm not really a fan of birthdays. Crazy, huh? Me, the HAPPINESS girl, the one who looks for the good in everything, doesn't really like birthdays??? Well, let me clarify - I do like most birthdays. I just don't like my OWN. Hmmmm . . . what's this all about, huh? I guess it's the attention that comes with it - the song being sung - the blowing out of the candles (while everyone looks on, as if they know you'll NEVER be able to blow THOSE MANY CANDLES out in one breath). Maybe it's the whole aging process that has me in denial. So, if I boycott the birthdays ... then I'm still, what? 25?

I don't know when this change happened. I guess I just really believe that this day should be like every other day. Which means, THIS day should be a GREAT day. Not because I was born on this day. But because WE are ALIVE today ... you know? We have to celebrate ALL days. Yesterday, today and tomorrow. We have to laugh, we have to dream, we have to create, we have to enjoy, and we have to celebrate EACH day. So, today, let's just celebrate it for being another day. Right?

So, why did I even mention that it was my birthday? Well, I wasn't going to say anything - but last night Katie made me the funniest card that I had to share. If you read my recent The Strike of 2010 post from earlier this week, you'll understand why this card was just ... funny. If you haven't read that post, the cliff notes are pretty much this: I went on strike from loading the dishwasher, and from doing laundry, because my techniques when doing both tasks (according to my dear husband) leave room for improvement. Apparently my skills in those two duties are ... lacking. Seriously. So, I went on strike. The funny part is that this strike was pretty much only evident to myself and my dear blog friends, because I wrote about it here. So dear PG had no clue about my strike. My oldest and dearest daughter, Katie, was NOT privy to this strike information, either. I have not walked around the house holding a sign, nor have I rented one of those big blow up rats for my yard. None of it. So, according to dear Kate, I'm still participating in those duties. Which is evident by the card she handed me tonight:

Seriously. Funny ... but kind of strange too, don't you think? Katie is intuitive - always has been. But it's almost like she read my post from this week. And as I tucked her into bed for the night and turned to leave her room, she said, "Mommy? This doesn't have anything to do with your birthday present. But, could you tell me - do you really want that purple Glee CD?" "Oh, yes, honey. I really want that CD," I told her. "Oh, well, that's good. Good night, Mommy," she said.

So, today I turn 39. Yep ... 39. Wow. One more year, and I will no longer be considered in this group ...

Do you remember that show? When it came out, I was 16 years old. I remember thinking, "OMG, they are OLD. They have mortgages. They have kids that are running around screaming. They aren't really happy. They seem lost and miserable. That's 30?!?"

Boy oh boy, did I have it all wrong! 30 Something has been pretty awesome . . . and I have another whole year to finish it up!

So my wish for YOU today - make it a great day, nomatter what you do.

I know I will! ; )

Comments

  1. Oh boy...sorry honey. Happy Birthday. I didn't realize I was being critical and I apologize. I wish you would have told me you were on strike! I just thought you were busy doing everything else you do...taking care of the girls, working almost full time and taking care of the house. I am sorry. I love you! Sorry I haven't read your blog in a couple weeks too... See you tomorrow! I will make it up for your B-Day (I hope!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Happy Birthday, Leanne!! Seriously... it'll be a great day! You already got rid of the baggage that comes with the day.
    2) Score one for PG on his comment above!! ;)
    3) Score one for KJ, the ever intuitive old soul! She amazes me how she comes up with that stuff!
    4) Suddenly, I am keenly aware of the difference in our ages! How is it you never made me feel that much older than you??
    5) Parting comment.... 40s are better still!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy happy birthday, Sis!!!! Very great comments by PG and PK - and PK is right - 40s are better! But it really doesn't matter what you age is - it is truly only a number. All that matters is how you feel and that you are happy. Happy birthday again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Leanne!! Sure wish I was there to drop off a present for you {because I would...and oh, a great big fat cupcake of your choice!!!} That card is so sweet really...aren't kids the best? And what a kind and sweet post from PG!! AND my daughter Em turns 13 tomorrow...cool that your birthdays are so close!!!

    Love ya' Leanne!!! Have a very special day...

    Oh and I LOVED that show 30 something and thought the very same thing...

    AND I am now 43 and LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy ..... May 21st! We are so much better than those 30-something whiners anyway! Katie just amazes me - how sweet is she?! Seriously! Hope your day is just as lovely as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there! I've come to visit through See Mom Smile...What an adorable card your little girl made you! So sweet! And I noticed your husband actually reads your blog. I'm going to tell my own that the bar has been raised. Hope you have a wonderful day, this day that you were born on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS LEANNE!! I'll try not to say it too loud :)

    Your PG and Kate are soo sweet. Did I already say you're such a lucky girl? I remember that show and whatever happened to all those people? Let me tell you that the 40's are even more awesome (hot flashes and itchy skin aside). 40 is the new 30 right so it's kinda like having a do-over only better! Go and have a super wonderful happy cupcake (with frosting all over your hands)day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Happy "Just another day" to you!!! Mine's coming up quickly too! Oct. 1st will be the start of my last year in the 30's. WOW!! I do know what you mean about needing to celebrat them all!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday! I loved Thirtysometing!

    I'm stopping by to welcome you to SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And BTW...how come there's no cupcake in your blogger header!?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!