A Day in the Life of Ella #2


So, I have to tell you about a quick conversation I had with Ella. It still cracks me up just thinking about it.

Yesterday we were driving on Route 30 and at a point on the road where a great deal of construction was underway. Ella was having a great time looking out the window pointing out all the mounds of dirt and rubble along side of the road. We were at a particular spot that had a lot of construction equipment, and one large backhoe piece was right next to us. Our conversation went like this:

Ella: Mommy, what is THAT?
Me: I'm not sure, honey. I can't remember what it is called.
Ella: What is it, Mommy?
Me: Honey, I can't recall. I wish Daddy was here. He would know.
Ella: But what is it, Mommy?
Me: Ummm, I just don't know, honey. We'll ask Daddy. Daddy is very SMART. He will know.

Ella: NOOOOOoooooo, MOMMY!!!! DON'T CALL DADDY SMART. HE'S NICE GUY. DON'T CALL DADDY SMART, MOMMYYY, HE NICE, MOMMMMMYYYY!!!!

Me: (laugh . . . . . hysterically . . . . . for a few minutes . . . . . . then . . . . . . ) Ummmm, ok!

Well, will you look at what I've done . . . You see, lately I've been working on "back-talk" with Katie. I imagine I'm often saying something to her, like, "Don't talk smart" or something like that. And in saying that to Katie, I am probably saying it in a "not-so-positive" tone. Unfortunately, Ella now associates "SMART" with something negative. Ohh, gees.

But I have to tell you . . . it still cracks me up - just thinking of it!!! My dear husband would probably not find it as funny as I do (SORRY HONEY!) But, SERIOUSLY. It was precious. "DON'T CALL DADDY SMART!" . . . from a 2 year old. Tooo funny!

Don't worry . . . I took time to explain to her that SMART wasn't a BAD thing. That being SMART was something GOOD. That it meant Daddy was knowledgeable and knew a lot about things. (Sure . . . now explain KNOWLEDGEABLE to a 2 1/2 year old. Gees . . . this parenting sure isn't easy!) But I'm hoping that she won't offend Daddy at any point in the near future. And I might use a different word to describe Daddy's intelligence if Ellie is around. . . . or maybe not. (teee heee!)

Comments

  1. How beautiful the way she stood up for her daddy!!! And you're right...these kids listen to EVERYTHING, even when you think they aren't listening.
    Next time you need help identifying construction equipment, give Cormick a call ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!