The Soundtrack to My Life (right now)

Tonight I was in the kitchen cooking dinner, as Phil checked his email on the computer downstairs, and both girls were up in Katie's room - dancing and jumping around to music they had blarring on the radio. I found myself stirring Sloppy Joes to the sound of (gulp) . . . Hannah Montana . . . and it made me really really happy. Yes, Hannah Montana:The Movie soundtrack, to be exact. Me, 38 year old well-rounded music lover, bee-bopping to this little pop star music that my girls LOVE. And I stopped for a minute and chuckled, because this CD, this soundtrack, is honestly The Soundtrack to My Life (right now).

Now, let me tell you - this is probably not something I would share with everyone (ok, wait a minute . . . "Then why are you writing about this here?" you ask? Because this, here, is ok. It's therapy. I digress.) The truth of the matter is that I absolutely and totally LOVE this CD. Seriously. Most of the "Hannah" songs are ok (typical pop song), but starting around track 4 and on . . . there is some fantastic music there. Seriously. I can't tell you how many times I'm driving in the car and have this CD on, only to realize that I am the ONLY ONE in the car (no kids), and I'm enjoying it. Silly, but honest. (Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it!)

The reason I bring it up is not to necessarily plug the Hannah Montana: The Movie soundtrack. I just started thinking about how music has played a very important part in my life and how, looking back, I can easily name the Soundtrack to My Life at particular times of my life. Here are just a few of them:

1984 - Thriller by Michael Jackson: thanks to a dear friend who bought it for me for my 13th birthday this year!

1987 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by the Beatles: My brother introduced me to the Beatles at a very young age and I must have played this album a thousand times this year. We used to go to Beatlefest every year and spend 72 hours straight taking in the glory of the Beatles. It was awesome!

1990 - Can't Fight Fate by Taylor Dane: I was a freshman in college and feeling LOVE for really the first time and would belt out all the emotions in "Love will lead you back" after loosing my first love (oh, to be young!)

1993 - Wish by The Cure: "Friday I'm In Love" was the motto of every theater group friday night social gathering and I could have listened to this CD for hours.

1996 - August and Everything After by Counting Crows: the year I met my husband, and moved out of my parents house. Music was a HUGE part this early relationship with Phil, and we both absolutely LOVE this CD and band.

2002/2003 - Home by Dixie Chicks: I remember listening to this CD on my drive home to and from work when I was pregnant with Katie. Absolutely LOVE this one, too

Now, I recognize that not all of these are top albums of all time, however during those particular times in my life, the albums each were pretty important to me. And there are many many more on my list (only shared a few with you now, to avoid boring you any longer). What I'm really wondering . . . is how about YOU? Have you thought about the Soundtrack to Your Life recently? Do you have one?

I don't imagine the Hannah Montana: The Movie soundtrack is going to remain the Soundtrack to My Life for very long. But for tonight, and probably tomorrow, it is. It gets me moving, it puts tears in my eyes (listen to track 9 - with a tissue, please!), it makes me laugh (track 10), and hearing little Ella sing along to "Best of Both Worlds" (track 18) at the top of her lungs is just about the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

So, what is YOURS (right now)? I'd love to hear it.

Comments

  1. I am a music lover and used to go to concerts all the time in my younger years. To be able to bring my boys to their first concert ment so much to me. (Kenny Chesney) It has a good beat and I love to hear my boys sing. When I hear my 6 year old Vincent singing "Its a smile, its a kiss, its a sip of wine its summertime" makes me smile. Pirates and Poets by Kenny Chesney. I never was a big country music lover but I grow older I really love it and I find my boys really like it to. Nicholas asks to listen to 99.5 (US99). I love it. By the way Leanne I love Hannah Montana and find myself singing when the kids are watching her show or when her song comes on the radio. What a great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slayer - God Hates Us All

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy...this is a tough one for me. There are only two albums that come to mind in my somewhat recent past. Wicked-Read the book, saw the play 3 times when it was in Chicago, and found it was the only thing I listened to for over a year. And Elton John's Love Songs. There was one song "You Can Make History (Young Again)" that I would hold my grandson in my arms and rock him to sleep as we danced to this. While dancing, with his eyes slowly closing, I would tell him that when he gets married I would like to have one dance with my grandson and I would like it to be to this song. That truly is a time I hold dear to my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://blip.fm/invite/DJCME This is a link to my current playlist....on my ipod it's called "If my life had a soundtrack, this would be on it..."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!