Some Days You Gotta Dance!!!

Katie loves to dance. It's in her soul. She hears music, and her body must follow. I absolutely love that. Friday afternoon, she came up to me with such a defeated look in her face.

"Mom, we have a problem," she said to me. "What is it, honey?" I asked (praying that it didn't have anything to do with school or telling stories. If you recall, we've been doing alot of work on that in our house.) "Well," she said, "I have no room to dance in my bedroom, Mom. The bed is right in the middle of the room, and I can't dance around it. I had to go into Ella's room to dance right now. Mom, can we PLEASE move my furniture in my room so I can dance?" she asked.

"ABSOLUTELY!" I said.

So tonight Phil, Katie and I moved everything around in her bedroom so that she had enough space in the middle of the room - to dance. Of course, we had to position her mirror so that she could see herself dance. (I mean, what fun is it if you can't watch yourself dance? That is, if you happen to be 6 and really want to see yourself dance.) I absolutely love what a free spirit Katie is at this age, and my biggest wish is that she keeps this spirit. Why is it that so often, as we age, we begin to feel self conscious and hide under something? It reminds me of one of my favorite Dixie Chicks songs "Some Days You Gotta Dance". If you aren't familiar with it, listen to it here. Everytime I hear it, it makes me want to get up and dance.

"Some days you gotta dance.
Live it up when you get the chance.
'Cause when the world doesn't make no sense
And you're feeling just a little to tense,
Gotta loosen up those chains and dance"

About 10 years ago, one of my coworkers used to tell me that the song reminded them of me. It's funny how now it reminds me of my daughter. Yes, Katie and I are very much alike. I think we may have to paint that quote on the wall in Kate's room. She would love that. For now, she dances and dances . . . and doesn't care who is watching.

Comments

  1. I immediately thought of Lee Ann Womack's "I Hope You Dance." It's all about never losing the child in you. About expressing gratitude for the wonderful world around you. Isn't that what dancing is all about? I'm reminded of that saying about it being hard to feel bad about things when you smile. Same thing goes for dancing. KJ's got it down!!! Life is good! She can dance!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little girls aounds like just a joy! And I love the idea of painting the saying on her wall. Have you heard of this company called "Uppercase Living." It's sold via Tupperware-type parties, but it has all sorts of fun designs for your walls. And on their website you can design your own creation.

    (And I'm not a salesperson or anyway associated with this company, just a happy customer!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!