My "Ahhhh" Moment

My mother-in-law cracks me up. Rita. So funny. She just hung up the phone with me by saying, "You know, I'm going to hang up with you because it's getting late and you need to blog. You haven't blogged in a few days, and I'm addicted, so you need to go and blog." How funny is that? She honest to goodness hung up from an amazing and brilliant conversation with me (I know . . . I'm so humble . . . wink wink), so that I could go and blog something amazing and brilliant. Hmmmmm . . . . that's funny.

But what happens now that the pressure is on? I mean, here I am, trying to come up with something amazing and brilliant to write about. Hmmmmm. Do you mind if I tell you about an "Ahhhhhh" moment I had today? (SIDE NOTE: Doesn't Oprah have them? Those "Ahhhh" moments? I used to subscribe to her magazine and I think they have a monthly article describing someones "ahhhh" moment. I don't subscribe to "O" any more, simply because I found I was spending alot of money for a publication that just collected dust on my nightstand, since I never had enough hours in the day to actually read. Please note: I am in no way endorsing or not endorsing Oprah, "O", or her "Ahhhh" article, in any way. Maybe it's an "ah-ha" moment. Oh, I don't know. Forget about it.) Anyway . . . back to what I am calling My "Ahhhh" Moment.

My boss is in town this week. We have been busy visiting many of our Illinois clients, which has kept me driving all over the state and sharing pleasantries with lots of people. One of our stops today was in Oak Park, a place that I have become so very fond of through the years. Those of you who know me, know that I am a HUGE Frank Lloyd Wright fan, and over 10 years ago I volunteered for, and was then employed by, the then Frank Lloyd Wright Home & Studio Foundation (now the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust) in Oak Park. My time spent at the Home & Studio were some of the most remarkable moments (artistically) in my life. To be surrounded by the work of this genius architect, to practically LIVE in this space, was absolutely a gift and something I will never forget.

Today we had about 30 minutes between appointments and as we were IN Oak Park, I had to drive past the Home & Studio. We parked the car and ever so quickly walked around the property and through the gift shop. And I felt, immediately, at peace and at home. Amazing. Over 10 years after working there, and not seeing a single face I recognized, I immediately felt inspired, at peace, and connected to this building. So special. I realized that I have spent too much time away, and one of my goals for the new year will be to reconnect with my Frank Lloyd Wright interests and look into volunteering there, once again. I love to tell the story of this home, and the story of the architect who built the home. I long to spend time in its space again, and just the few moments there today brought such clarity to me - it was awesome.

I wonder now why I let myself step away from something that so clearly brings me such joy. Don't we all do that, though? As life happens, we loose sight of those things that make us happy, or perhaps become blinded by the day to day "chaos" and simply forget what makes us happy. I think that is what happened to me. I got married, had kids, had jobs, had a house, had bills, became a grown up. And when you become a grown up, sometimes it's hard to make the time to do the things that really fill your spirit - especially when you aren't getting paid for it. Hmmmm . . .

I left my employment with the H&S because working for a non-profit does not offer much financial incentive. And as I just mentioned above . . . LIFE was "happening" (the marriage, the house, the wish for the kids, therefore the bills). It was a tough decision to leave. But one that was the best for me. No regrets at all. What I forgot, though, was that leaving the job didn't mean I had to leave my interest of it. I could still volunteer. And seeing the place today, reminded me how much I NEED to volunteer there, again. It was so strange. As if I could breathe, a little easier. Therefore . . . . . "Ahhhhhhh". How sweet it was.

So, there you have it. That's all I've got for today, Rita. Hope it filled the void of me a little! Love you! (Photo of H&S courtesy of the Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust.)

Comments

  1. Love you honey - and thanks - I so needed that u will never know. . .
    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!