One Leg At A Time

I had the most interesting cab ride from the Renaissance Hotel in Providence, Rhode Island, to the airport yesterday. My cab driver was a young man named Arthur, from Malawi, Africa. The 25 minute ride to the airport turned out to be one of the best parts of my trip. . . .

I was in Rhode Island for a short work conference and was really looking forward to returning home on Tuesday. Even though I was gone a short time, I think I was desperately looking to connect with someone and talk (I didn't have any coworkers with me on this trip, so conversation was at a minimum). When I sat in the cab and told the driver I needed to be brought to the Providence Airport, I was greeted with a warm smile that seemed to invite conversation (that was all I needed!) This ride to the airport contained a discussion about school, education, traveling the world, multi-cultures, humor, home, and the realization that we are all HUMAN. We may be different, but we are all very much the same . . . we all put our pants on one leg at a time. While we have differences, our similarities certainly outweigh them.

Arthur was born in France and lived there till he was ten (speaks fluent French and even spoke a few sentences to me in French, at my insistance, of course.) He then moved with to Malawi, Africa, where most of his relatives were. While home in Malawi, he learned his native Malawi language, and Arabic, as Arabic was primarily spoken outside of his village. At the age of 20 he had an opportunity to come the to United States and attend school at Notre Dame University, where he participated in an exchange program. His major in college is Anthropology (the study of human beings, everywhere and throughout time), which is probably why he didn't mind conversing with me (I'd make a good case study, don't you think? wink wink). I asked him what made him start driving cabs, and he explained what I probably already knew, that he had to do it to make a living. He said it is his dream to complete his studies and go on for his masters. While talking about school and Anthropology, there was such life in his eyes. (It's interesting to have a conversation with someone and all you see are their eyes. Imagine that for a minute. . . he was driving the cab and I was seated behind. All I could see was the look in his eyes when he glanced up - other than that, he was watching the road. The eyes are the window to the soul - I believe that. And I was able to see Arthur's passion and life. It was a great moment.) At one point he looked up at me and said, "I want to do things with my life. This isn't what I am going to do forever, you know, drive this cab. There are other things I dream of, and I will do them." It's amazing, isn't it. Here we were . . . two complete opposite people from two completely different worlds. But we both dream.

We spoke of home. Of each of our homes. I talked of Chicago and shared that it is the only place I could really ever see myself living. He spoke of Malawi, Africa. That even though he has had opportunity to travel around the world and has an opportunity for a good future here in the United States, he will go back to Malawi to live. He said that Malawi is home to him. It always will be. And he will go back and make life better there.

I've often been driven in a cab from one destination to another. Most of the time I sit quietly while looking out the window, avoiding eye contact and making as little connection with the driver as possible. Today, something changed. I imagine now what the ride could have been if I hadn't started talking to him. What a loss it would have been, to have missed this wonderful opportunity to connect with someone so different from me. I'm so glad that that we spoke. This quick ride reminded me of the opportunites we have daily to connect with each other - to learn from each other - and to dream for a minute, with each other. How cool was that? We really have such a short time on this earth. Isn't it awesome that while here, opportunities like this happen? Yes, for me . . . it was awesome.

When we arrived at the airport, Arthur jumped out and grabbed my bag. I paid my fare, and reached out to shake his hand. He said, "Miss, (I love that he called me Miss) Thank you for getting in my cab. It was a pleasure driving you today." I smiled and thanked him in return. Off he went, on to his next passenger, and off I went, to catch my plane. Two completely different people. I only wish the ride would have been a little longer . . . imagine where the conversation might have taken us. (Image of globe courtesy of www.maps-continents.com/globes.htm)

Comments

  1. Nice!! What a wonderful way to start your trip home! I, too, believe the eyes are the window to the soul. Just think, Leanne, you and he are both changed people just by virtue of having that conversation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!