My Bike and Me

So, I have to tell you about a truly exhilarating moment in my week.

Last night . . . I, Leanne, recent blog writer of Perimenopause and out-of-shapeness . . . rode my bicycle! Yes, it's true. Those reports you heard on the news of the crazy woman riding her bike, after all these years, were true!!!! And it was me. And it was . . . AWESOME!!!

I needed that. Right about now in my life, I needed that feeling of complete and utter bliss. And I found it when my daughter, Katie (who recently has been the subject of many posts here), asked me if I would ride my bike around the block with her. What could I say? Well, I could have said, "No, honey. Mommy is just way too out of shape and hasn't ridden her bike in a few years and doesn't even think she could get around the block." But instead, I paused . . . thought about it . . . and said, "Ok."

And that was it. The look on her face alone made it worth it. She was so excited when that I said yes, that she ran outside yelling to her neighborhood friends, "HEY!! MY MOM IS GOING TO RIDE HER BIKE!!!" (Which, frankly, I wasn't too thrilled about, because all I need was more attention brought to my out-of-shape bootie riding on the bike.) But, again, I went with it.

And off we went. Around the block. Now, just to bring a little perspective to this . . . it's not a very big block. But a block, nonetheless. And I made it . . . all the way. Some folks were sitting out on their driveways along the way and I felt the need to apologize to them (why do I do that? now there's a therapy session waiting to happen.) But honestly, it was a perfect moment, and Katie was in all her glory. She kept turning towards me and saying, "How are you doing, Mommy? Are you doing ok? Are you having fun?" When we got back home, she went inside and asked Phil if he wanted to join us (YES, CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?! We were going to RIDE SOME MORE!!! So, THERE! It really turned out to be even MORE than just a "ride around the block".) Phil grabbed Ellie and put her in the bike trailer he has attached to the back of his bike. And the four of us went for a lovely ride through the neighborhood. I felt like a kid. I felt free and alive and happy. I haven't felt that way for a long time. And it was truly awesome.

Later that night I overheard Phil talking to Katie about our ride. I heard Katie say to him, "Daddy, did you see Mommy riding her bike? I didn't even know she could do that. She was REALLY GOOD!" and I smiled. It's been so long since I've ridden my bike that she couldn't even remember it. And she was proud . . . of me. You know, I have had so many moments when I am proud of her. Tonight, my six year old was proud of ME. And it was the most amazing feeling I ever had.

Tonight, we are going bike riding, again.

Comments

  1. Precious!! I truly don't think our kids realize what a power boost it is when they show they are proud of us. Okay, Leanne, you've given me one more inspiration...gotta get the bike out and see how I do!! Maybe a ride around the block with Jonathan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Bikes! A lot of my happy memories of time with my family was riding bikes--weirdly around Midway airport, where we could stop and see the planes landing, before the big fences went up--and around the neighborhood and on camping trips. What a great way to spend time being happy with the girls and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!