What is F A M I L Y to you?

My dear friend, Cindi, wrote a wonderful post on her blog yesterday about a special memory she has of time spent with her Grandfather (click here to link to her blog.) The story warmed my heart, and I am so grateful that she shared it (thanks, Cindi!) While reading it, I recalled my own childhood memories that soon had me feeling that warm, fuzzy, comforting feeling. My heart was full of love. And it all has to do with - you guessed it - FAMILY.

What does FAMILY mean to you? Are they a bunch of people who get in your way? Who stop you from being the person you want to be? Who put you down? Who don't understand you and bring you stress? Or, are they like my family? Like living angels who support you, who pick you up when you are down, and who would drive to the ends of the earth for you (if that is what you needed.)

I have to tell you - I don't know if it is because I am getting older or if it is some other divine nature that has me feeling this way, but each day I feel more and more blessed and appreciative for my family. My extended family, that is - just one step beyond PG and the girls. Made up of my mom, moms-in-law, sister, brother-in-law, Papa, brother-in-law's mom. All ofthem. The people who I see and talk to every day, who make my life a better place. (Yes, they really do.) Don't get me wrong - we are all human. We have our issues. We have our arguments. We have our differences. But when all of that is said and done, I know that my family is there for me. Some people may think I see my family too often, some people might not understand why I include them in so much of my day to day life. The truth of the matter is that I could not be the person I am - and do the things that I do - without the love and support and help from my family. I know that. And for that, I am eternally grateful for their presence in my life.

And I am doing my very best in raising my daughters to appreciate family, just as much as I do.

While reading Cindi's story, I started to think of Sunday dinners at my parents house. This is back when I was probably between the ages of 7 to 20. Sunday dinners were a tradition, and are one of the fondest memories I have of my childhood. Grandmother Josephine lived in the city (Southside of Chicago - 45th and California, to be exact). And every Sunday my mom's friend would pick Grandma up and bring her to our home, where we all enjoyed a wonderful dinner around the table . . .together. . . our F A M I L Y. Every single Sunday. These moments . . . these Sunday dinners . . . were some of the best times of my young life. They were full of laughter and cheer, fun conversations (that sometimes became heated with political discussions and opinions). They were followed with games of Kings-in-the-Corner and Yahtzee. They were special moments with unconditional love, and they were wonderful.

I try, very much, to raise Katie and Ella with moments like that. FAMILY coming in and out, laughter, meals together, and stories being shared. I want them to look back on their youth and remember Grandma being there, and Papa playing with them. I want them to feel about their childhood just as I feel about mine - that the time spent with FAMILY were some of the best. And I am so very grateful to have married a man who feels the same way I do. When we repainted our kitchen last year, I found a inspiration quote that I had to put on the wall . . . it reads,

"The fondest memories are made when gathered around the table"

. . . and each time I glance at it, I am reminded of the importance of FAMILY in my life. Thanks again, Cindi, for helping take a moment and remember some great moments of my childhood. And if you are part of my FAMILY - I thank you for all that you do in helping me be the person I am today. I love you.

Comments

  1. Y'know that TA-DA list? The item about praying? Consider this post a checkmark on that item. This is such a beautiful blessing for all in your family. What a beautiful, gratitude-filled journal!! I, too, got the warm and fuzzy from Cindi's post. But you've managed to take the warm fuzzy and put it into words!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the best post on family!! I love it and am reminded how much I love and appreciate my own family.They are my everything. Thanks, Leanne!!. I can just picture your Sunday dinners:). And we LOVE Kings in the Corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family is such a hard and a soft thing, your blog says it al. . . . Love to you, Phil and the kids and happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you shared this - and thanks for mentioning my post. I think those "out of the blue" memories are our loved one's shining down and reminding us of how blessed we are. A close family is a gift - how lucky your girls are that you are giving this gift to them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!