The Creative Spirit . . .

I like to design blog headers. I do it for fun. I can spend hours in Adobe Illustrator, as I fiddle around with my computer mouse and keyboard. I draw everything by hand . . . just my mouse and me. It's a bit archaic (as I understand there are cool little tablets and computer pen thingamajigs out there), but I often think, "If it's not broke, why fix it?"  

Inspiration comes at the strangest times for me . . . usually late at night, after the kids (PG included) are all tucked in and gentle snores are heard from the floor above. Then, the creative juices start to flow and before I know it, hours have passed.

I thought I would share some of my recent creative projects with you.
The above image is my very first attempt at a digital scrapbook page. My friends Cindi and Peggy are brilliant at this digital stuff . . . me, not so much. Cindi told me that I needed to sit and watch a tutorial on the whole process, and work a page side by side. She was right (of course she was!!!) So the above page was a product of a 1/2 hour video tutorial and late night of "I can master this!" thinking.

I also have been working on a cool little inspirational book for Katie and Ella. I won't share all of it with you until it is finished, but here is a little peek . . .


The whole purpose of this project is making something to remind my daughters that they can DO ANYTHING and BE ANYTHING that they want to be. The little occupation bodies in the first photo above are ones that I have doodled on illustrator here or there, and I finally found something to do with them! I am LOVING this project, and can't wait to finish it. I'll be sure to post more photos when I am done . . . because I think it's one of my best yet!

But there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to complete all that I want to do. My dear friend, Leslie from {Words of Me} Project, is doing an awesome "31 Days" creative project. I had such high hopes to join in her journey this month . . . but the spirits have guided me in other directions. So, while I am able to find some time in my day to be creative, the spirit doesn't always answer back. And that . . . is a bummer.

Take, for example, my sister. She is waiting for a blog header from me. You may know her . . . she can be found in blogland over at "The Adventures of Mr. CT and Me". I want to create something awesome for her for Spring . . . unfortunately, it's just not working right now. I have sat down at least 10 times, trying to design a fun header for her blog home . . . each time I have stopped working on it because I just didn't "feel" it. This is what I have so far . . .

Aside from the fact that CT (my dearest brother-in-law) needs legs . . . that's not the only problem . . . it needs something else.

But what?

Augh.

So, while there are days (and nights) when I can sit down and bat out a design . . . sometimes, it takes a little bit longer. Maybe I need to stop and start fresh.

Who knows.

I'm always amazed at how some days the creative spirit is overflowing . . . but other days . . . not so much.

How does your creative spirit work? Have any cool projects going on in your life? How do you inspire yourself to create? Leave me a comment . . . I'd love to know!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I can't believe your draw these things with your mouse. I am indeed impressed!

    As for Creative Spirit - it is usually a moment, and if I don't grab it - it will escape. Like today's post - I was inspired during the first episode of "My so called life." (Actually you mentioned Jordan the other day on my post..) So I started watching and BOOM - Angela begins taking a different route, and I totally could relate and it reminded me of my friend Dedra. So - I dropped what I was doing, paused the show and began to write. That's how I roll.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. CT pushing the lawn mower next to the swing set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear friend I love your creative spirit and the love you put into your projects! That book is going to be something your children cherish! My inspiration also comes at night. It is a peaceful quiet time. Your comment put a huge smile on my face my friend. I have to say that I love all the comments my bloggy friends leave, but there are some people that you really feel connected to and you are definitely one of them. Your love for your family and kind heart are a blessing here on earth and I am happy to call you friend. In a world that can be sad and difficult at times I try my hardest to focus on the positive. There is so much positive and at times we can lose sight of it. That is why I write about all of those blessings each week. Thank you for your sweet comment! I really appreciate it and I feel so blessed to know you! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of things here....I LOVE your new header and background!! Love how your title is "flowy" looking and your birdies...you know me and birdies;)

    Love that book for Katie and Ella...I can't wait to see it!!!!!!

    Love your new header for your sister's blog...and you know I LOVE what you did for me!!!!:)

    My inspiration hits out of the blue...I can always count on it in the shower...first thing in the morning when I'm laying in bed...when I'm writing...when I'm flipping through a magazine...when I'm walking....when I'm writing one of my lists....

    Have an inspiring day!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed I am completely out of my depth with such technical stuff :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it a gift to go to that creative place and let the brain come out to play! I love the designs you make, but even more I love your generous and inquisitive spirit and comes out in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe that you draw all these simply using a mouse. My hands just aren't that steady! I do love your work though! Totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in awe of you and your mouse, too. Anyway - you did creep me out a little - CT needs FEET! LOL! How about LT as Princess Leia and CT as Han Solo? He'd like that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!