The Difference in One Little Day

I’m not quite sure how it happened.

One minute, we were planning what our family (the four of us) would be doing for the evening, and 10 minutes later, their bags were packed and they (Katie and Ella) were heading to Grandma’s for a sleep over.

I’m sure my mom is trying to figure out how her evening changed so quickly, too. I am most grateful for whatever powers worked their magic (specifically, Katie and her “Please, grandma? Can we please come for a sleep over?"). Because they were off to a night of fun at Grandma’s, and I was given a “Get out of Crankville FREE” pass.

PG and I found ourselves in the movie theater watching “The Kings Speech” just two hours later. The movie was exceptional. My friend PK emailed me months ago telling me that I must see it. It took me awhile to get there, but I am SO GLAD that I finally did. Have you seen it? Amazing film, isn’t it?

Back to the evening. Actually, back to earlier this week.

I found myself in a challenging time of parenthood this past week, raising two extremely independent, stubborn and oh-so brilliant girls. Did I tell you that my children are brilliant? Oh really, they are. They can do absolutely everything on their own, and know absolutely everything about absolutely everything, or so they continued to remind me.all.week.long. Sometimes being a parent is the most challenging part of my day. I take that back – MOST times being a parent is the most challenging part of my day. This week, a certain whine took over their otherwise sweet vocal chords and I found every single part of every day was met with hesitation, with question and with obstacle from both of my children. After a week like that, I was ready to throw the towel in.

But we had a night off. Grandma offered to help, and PG and I were allowed to enjoy some much needed quiet time in this otherwise chaotic home.

We went to the movies, came home to watch a “Saturday Night Live” episode with our television on with full volume, and had no arguments over bedtime or teeth brushing or anything. It was really a lovely night.

This morning, we slept in until our eyelids opened on their own, and leisurely enjoyed our coffee over delicious omelets PG cooked with red stuff (tomatoes) and green stuff (avocado) and any other things WE wanted in it. At breakfast, PG asked if we received the Sunday paper any longer. I told him that I cancelled it a long time ago. When he shrugged his shoulders, I think we realized how neither of us have had time to even notice that the paper stopped coming the past three months, as this was the first Sunday morning we could have actually read the paper. Ah, well. Maybe we’ll renew our subscription a few years down the road.

As we quietly sat drinking our coffee, we conversed.

“Sorry I’ve been cranky,” PG said.

“It’s ok,” I answered. “I’m sorry I’ve been cranky, too.”

“Kids are exhausting,” he said.

“Yes,” I agreed, “the kids make me so tired.”

Pause.

“Kids drive me crazy sometimes,” he said.

“Yes,” I agreed, “they certainly do.”

Pause.

“They really are stubborn, aren’t they?” he asked.

“Yes,” I agreed, “there is nothing you can tell them that they don’t already know.”

Pause.

Pause.

Pause.

“Well,” PG said, “we better pick them up!”

“Yep! You hop in the shower, I’ll clean the dishes!!!” I exclaimed.

And with a skip and a jump, the energy returned into our rested bodies as a mother and father prepared for their two stubborn, independent and incredibly wonderful daughters to return to their lives.

Sometimes a simple little overnight is all the rest a person needs.

Don’t you agree?

Yes, Life is Good.

Comments

  1. How funny, it's like we can't live with them and we can't live without them...what's a parent to do!

    Glad you and PG had some restful, quality time together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can soooo relate to this post, girl!! Even now, as teens when they are off doing there own thing and Dave and I get all the time we need alone...I can't wait till they get home so I can hear about their night.

    You really summed it all up perfectly:)

    That omelot sounds really yummy, btw:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to know it's not just me! And sad to know it doesn't end anytime soon...

    You did give me hope though. I'm counting the days until my 10 month old can join his 2 year old sister at Grandma's for the night. I suppose it will have to wait until he stops putting everything in his mouth, and no longer finds the toilet bowl the most attractive thing in the house. Sigh. ;)

    It's nice to be reminded that even though we love our children, it's OK to want to spend some time alone occasionally. Glad you enjoyed your unexpected surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear all is "technically" well in your world!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ain't that the truth! We need a chance to have a little break and recharge free of kids and then - BAM - we want them back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely understand! So glad you and PG got out and got a chance to be together. These little breaks do a lot to refresh the soul, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forget how old your children are but this post really amused me. You are really lucky you have family you can turn to at such times and I am so envious you have already seen The Kings Speech.
    Enjoy the children as much as you can however much they frustrate you now, they will grow up far quicker than you can ever believe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brought back so many memories of days past..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely needed (and deserved!) a break to remember how good life is, when you're rested!
    Must get round to watching The Kings's Speech soon...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I am so happy for you. I mean, really, genuinely happy because a night off? Is better than like... I don't even know. Anything. Would you say it's better than dark chocolate and wine? It's definitely right up there. Way to score some down time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, I was just thinking the same things about my kiddos today, too. I'm glad you two had some "you" time. Fills the soul!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aaaaaaaaaah! I am SO jealous. That is so what i need right about now. (Wanna come over and babysit?)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!