Peanut Butter & Banana Stuffed French Toast . . . for real

PG loves to travel. His job is absolutely perfect for him, because he is able to see some really great places in this country of ours, and enjoy some really great food. And if you know anything about PG . . . know that he really enjoys food, and loves to tell you all about it.  And if you know anything about me . . . know that I am working hard at living a healthier life this year (and I am going to Weight Watchers), so most of his stories make me sort of mad.

Not really. Just a little. ;)

Last week, when he returned to tell me all about the Peanut Butter & Banana Stuffed French Toast he had, I wanted to deck him.

Not really. Just a little. ;)

I guess he went to some restaurant that had been featured on Food Network, or some garbage like that. (Side note: I say that in jest, as I am a Food Network Junkie and my television is often set to that channel.) He ordered the PB&B Stuffed French Toast, and said it was the best thing he ever ate. EVER. (That says a lot.) So, he wanted to make it for us for breakfast last weekend.

Again, I'm doing Weight Watchers.

Augh.

So, we looked at the recipe (which you can find here), and decided if we use wheat bread, use skim milk (in place of the heavy cream) and spray pam on the pan (in place of the butter), that it might actually be slightly less bad for us. Since PG is a Wiz in the kitchen . . . he went to work.

My friends . . . it was to die for.

I had 1/2 a sandwich, with some strawberries on the side. Oh, why don't I just show you . . .


Yeah, I know.

It was insanely amazing. It was phenomenal. It was better than "Cats" (the musical). It was out of this world. And at 1/2 a sandwich . . .  I calculated the Points Plus on Weight Watchers, and I'm ok if I don't eat anything else for the week. ;) Kidding. In all seriousness, by changing to wheat bread, and by omitting the butter and the maple syrup,  the 1/2 of sandwich I had was 7 points. Yes, that's high. But . . . I counted it. . . and it was TOTALLY WORTH EVERY SINGLE ROTTEN LITTLE POINT.

There. I said it. Oh, here's another picture . . .

And here is the recipe, for those of you who can't stop staring at the picture long enough to link over to Food Network . . .

Peanut Butter and Banana Stuffed French Toast
  • 6 slices day-old white or wheat bread (we used wheat)
  • 1 to 2 ripe bananas 
  • 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • Honey, for drizzling
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream (we used skim milk)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon dark rum
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Dash salt
  • Butter or oil, for frying (we used Pam Spray)
  • Powdered sugar, for topping
  • Maple Syrup, for topping (we omitted the maple syrup . . . and you didn't need it - at all!)
Remove crust from bread. Lay bread out on counter and spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each slice. Peel banana and slice enough to cover every other piece of bread. (You will be making 3 complete sandwiches). Drizzle a small amount of honey on each piece of bread that does not have banana on it. (These are the tops). Place honey drizzled piece of bread on top of a piece with bananas on it to make a sandwich. Repeat until you have made 3 sandwiches.In a shallow medium sized bowl, gently whip, by hand, the eggs, cream, vanilla, rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Heat skillet to medium heat, around 350 to375 degrees F, or until butter melts and begins to sizzle. Dip 1 sandwich at a time into rum batter and place into skillet. Cook until golden brown (about 3 to 4 minutes before turning) on each side. Remove from skillet and cut in 1/2 diagonally. Top with powdered sugar, butter and maple syrup (we left off the butter and maple syrup).

I have to go. I want some more of this, and continuing to write about this is making me really really crave it.

That, is not good.

But life . . . with PB & B Stuffed French Toast . . . really doesn't get any better, does it?
Have a good one, my friends!

Comments

  1. Oh my heck...I am drooling! I LOVE PB and bananas...and Food Network!! LOL! And love that you didn't eat the whole thing and made it WW friendly...I would have eaten the whole thing...yeah, I am in a funk with my plan...but that's another comment!!!

    I WILL try this for sure...Oh, yes I will.

    You are amazing and I have appreciated your sweet and thoughtful and heartfelt comments the past few days.

    And I just sit and look at your amazing gift basket for Lizzy. Someone is gonna LOVE it!!

    Love,
    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that episode of Best Thing I Ever Ate! I don't even like bananas that much and it looks and sounds amazing to me. I think I'm gonna have to make this now. Thanks a lot Leanne!;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I started a new blog inspired by Nora Ephron and one of her huge influences is food! Come on by and check it out. http://amusemenora.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!! Can PG PLEEEEEZE give CT some cooking lessons? You lucky lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PG is a wiz in the kitchen & went to work?!! You are a lucky, lucky lady!

    Now, about that recipe. My thighs can't handle it! But good Lord, when I get a cheat day, I need to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a PB&B craving the other day, too!!! Great minds think alike ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, seeing that on my plate for breakfast would be such a delicious pleasure. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your french toast up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-14_22.html

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!