The Shocking Truth

Well, my friends, time to take a little break from all the creative talk and share a random moment from my week with you. This one has to do with my Ella . . . oh, how I love this girl.

Ella doesn't start 4 year old preschool until the Tuesday after Labor Day. So, while sister Katie leaves us at 8:45AM and doesn't return until 4:00PM, Ella and I are able to spend a great deal of quality mommy and daughter time together. I'm absolutely loving being at home with the girls the past month. While there are plenty of downsides to losing my job (lack of finances tops the list), the upside clearly is this time with my girls. I have said it before, that I just feel like this fog has been lifted. I am enjoying all the little moments with them that I missed before. And it's not that I missed them because I wasn't physically there . . . I was physically there. I missed them because my mind wasn't there. My mind was thinking about the stresses of my job, worried about projects or productivity, wondering what would be waiting on my desk when I return from days off. All of it.

But I am blessed that now, I can focus. Clearly. On them.

So, one day last week Ella and I decided to take a visit to Starbucks. Oh, yes, my visits there are few and far between now that I am not working. But on this particular day last week, we just needed a Starbucks trip. And here, at Starbucks, is where the truth came out . . .

It started as such a lovely morning. We decided that we would sit inside this day and talk . . . you know . . . like big girls do. We also decided to have a little treat with our beverage. Ella chose the pink glazed mini-donut, and I picked a piece of banana chocolate chip cake.

We had a lovely time and talked about our recent trip to New York, cousin Carlo, what it will be like when school starts, and who our favorite Disney princess is. You know . . . important stuff. We looked out the window as cars went in and out of the drive through and guessed what everyone was ordering. We had a really wonderful time.

She loves her chocolate milk. I love my coffee. And then . . . I started to share my chocolate chips with her. You know . . . those that sit so gently on the top of the bundt cake? That are just perfect to pick off and share with a loved one? Yes . . . I share my chocolate chips with the ones I love. Of course. But Ella, she stopped me.


In the middle of my delivery of the finest thing in the world (the chocolate chip). . . that's when it happened. The shocking truth. Brace yourselves, friends. This one might just bring you to the edge.

"Mom?" Ella said, "I really don't like chocolate." (See . . . below? The chocolate chips are just sitting there. Waiting.) "But Ella," I said, "you like chocolate milk, don't you? I mean, you drank your chocolate milk. What do you mean, 'you don't like chocolate'?"


"Yes," she answered, "I do like chocolate MILK. But chocolate CHIPS. . . nope. I don't like them Mom. They kind of make me . . . crazy. Like this . . ."


And with that . . . I finished my own chocolate chips.

What can I say? She's only 4.

Perhaps this is something she will grow out of. God willing. ; )

Comments

  1. Little Miss Ella is a DARLING!!

    You are the very best story teller I know...seriously...

    I just love you, Leanne. I do. I am inspired by your work, your writing, the way you are as a wife and Mom.

    Oh how I want to meet you for coffee {well, you can have have coffee...I'll take a vanilla steamer!!}

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! She'll probably grow out of this choc chip aversion phase quite soon :-)
    Glad you are enjoying the time with your girls, Leanne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am at a loss for words!

    I think I'm in shock!!

    This can't be happening!!!

    I know she's too young for an intervention, but we need to keep our eyes on this situation. I am gravely concerned, Leanne!!

    Wait, I think I have the answer. Maybe it's the semi-sweet she doesn't like. Maybe she prefers milk chocolate. Yeah, that's it!! I'm sure. Check with her on that one, Leanne. That's GOT to be the answer. After all, she's your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean...how will she ever be able to scrapbook if she doesn't like chocolate???????

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like chocolate either...gasp...I know...but I turned out just fine ;)
    so glad that you're taking your time to enjoy the small things in life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We seriously need to get Ella and Autumn together one day! Chocolate makes my Wild Child a little crazy as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie patootie Ella is! I'm sorry you lost your job - but the benefits of having moments like these with your family are priceless! Take advantage of this time.

    As a child I loved ketchup (or is it catsup?) but didn't want anything to do with spaghetti sauce or tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate makes me cucko - coo - cachoo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, here is what i say -- bull poo poo!!! She DOES likes chocolate chips (she just forgot!) Because if I took a bag out for baking, she'd be eating them like potatoe chips. Also, during our last sleepover, Uncle made chocolate chip pancakes, and she took the cup of extras and ate them! Like I said, Bull Poo Poo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeremy has a friend who - as Jeremy put it - "doesn't like chocolate like a person should." It's just a given! It will come in time, I hope!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!