10 Things I've Learned on the Couch

Hello dear blogland friends,

and wishers of "Good Back Thoughts"!


It's been a very strange few days since my last post. For a quick update to those of you who are waiting to hear from me, my lower back pain was just a bad sprain (THANK GOD!!) However, my Doc has reminded me that sometimes sprains take a while to heal and I just need to take it easy and let those muscles do their things. I'm doing lots of back stretches (which actually feel amazingly good), but other than that, the past 3 days have been spent on the couch. Ibuprofen is my new best friend (along with another pain med that I can't spell). So, A GREAT BIG THANK YOU to those dear friends who commented positive thoughts and sent such wonderful energy my way!! I felt it, believe me!!!!

It's amazing how back pain can really make you appreciate the little things, you know? I've been really fortunate to have not had back problems in my life. But, I have known a few people who have really been through hell with their back probs (thinking of YOU, Les!) Let me tell you ... there were times in the past few days when I really thought "Holy Cow! This is truly the worst pain I think I've ever felt!!!" Seriously. But, that's BEHIND me now - no pun intended! ; )

So, as I've been spending lots of time on the couch (with a moist heat pad), I've been thinking. And, you know how that always is dangerous. Here is a list of the 10 things I've learned while on this couch this week:

  1. Drop Dead Diva is wonderfully delightful (and having Comcast On-Demand, I was able to watch 10 episode from last season all day long on Sunday, which brought me up to date for the new episode of this season! To me, this show is Ally MacBeal meets Ugly Betty, and I LOVE IT!)

  2. The public school district is doing a REALLY GREAT JOB teaching our kids about emergencies. . . Katie was on stand-by multiple times this weekend (with our phone in hand) saying, "Should I call 9-1-1?" whenever I let out a yelp or exclamation while changing positions. That girl was ready for an EMERGENCY!!!!

  3. Having a loving husband who will bake a cherry pie (just because it was something you wanted to do) is really just the sweetest thing in the world!

  4. Going to the restroom when you have back pain is seriously HELL on earth! (Sorry if that's TMI - but I can't tell you how many times I thought about that this weekend!)

  5. Falling asleep on a leather sofa with a short night shirt on (and then trying to move after being in that deep sleep) is also HELL on earth (I think I was actually STUCK to the sofa!). Plus, doing that and being on pain meds is kind of crazy . . . I was like, "Who has my skin?? Who has my skin??? Oh, it's the sofa ... WHAT?!?!"

  6. In addition to the 10 episodes of Drop Dead Diva that I watched - I watched a number of "HOARDERS" episodes. The were both interesting and disturbing. I think it's one of those things that you don't want to watch, but you can't stop looking at it. Wow . . . I think I could be a hoarder, and that might be an even scarier thought.

  7. Straws are really the best invention. I had moments when leaning my head down to drink out of a cup sent shivers down my spin . . . until I found our straws in the pantry and used them. Holy Cow. SO much easier!

  8. When a really bad rain storm comes and there are tornado warnings in your area, it would really suck if you had a back ache and had to go and hide for fear of a tornado hitting. I mean, what is worse, the tornado? Or the pain your back would have if you had to crouch down and protect your family and yourself? I did not have to go through that. But Saturday night there were some bad storms near by and my "random thinking" had me wondering what I would do if a tornado was coming near us. That would be awful in SO MANY ways.

  9. Having your 3 year old say, "Mommy, does your back still hurt?" can make almost any pain go away!

  10. Even a back ache can make you miss your blog friends!! : ( I'm SO missing my Betty, my So That's Why, my Small Steps, my Words of Me, my Treasures, my Frosted Petunias, my Destinations, my Meilatlait and ALL my other friends, both NEW and OLD!!)

So, that's where I'm at today. I'm off of work one more day, and will be back on Thursday. It will be a slow transition back, and I'm thinking of bringing a pillow for my chair. Hopefully I'll be back to my regular blog schedule in a couple days.

I can't thank you enough for all of the positive energy and wonderful comments you have all left! You have all been in my thoughts so much, and I can't wait to catch up on your blogs tomorrow Be back soon!

Comments

  1. You just made me bust out laughing with the skin stuck to the leather couch comment. LOL Hilarious. Sorry - I don't mean to laugh at your pain, but that is too funny. I am glad you have found ways to cope with the pain. That's tough. I think back pain and tooth aches are a personal kind of hell on earth. lol Glad you wrote something tonight!! I am so brain dead - I wrote about caffeine. Can you believe that? I really need to get out more. hahahaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Leanne...I love ya' girl. So happy you are feeling a bit better. I LOVE your posts...they brighten my day!!:)

    I watch Hoarders...it is exactly how you described it...

    Get better GIRL!

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief to find out it's just a sprain! Lucky you! Now, here's to hoping that the sprain will heal itself soon. Take it easy, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're on the road to mend! Yes, back sprains can take a while to come back from, but those exercises are wonderful!!
    Drop Dead Diva...I, too, caught up with it via On Demand. Perfect description, by the way.
    Can't bring myself to watch Hoarders. It might hit too close to home!!
    Three cheers for PG and the cherry pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it to the computer today - I missed you! Brilliant observations! Wonderful kids and hubby! And Drop Dead Diva? Yes, Peggy is right - perfect description - I love, love, love that show!!! I DVR it and watch it when the kids go to bed - it's like hot cocoa and warm fuzzy blankets and shopping....just GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leanne, sorry to hear you sprained your back, My husband did that couple of weeks ago, and it was bad....I have never seen him in so much pain EVER! Taker easy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You poor thing! Holy smokes - get well soon! I was going through some yucky stuff recently and those pain meds made me a little fruit-loop-dee-doo!

    Get well soon!

    -Meg :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, came over from LBS.

    Sorry about your back, but, still, this is very CUTELY written.

    I enjoyed it.thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leanne! I am so sorry you have been down and out. I would have sent pie over pronto. I have just had back pain now and then and can't imagine what you've been through. Yowch!!!!

    I loved your list and especially the part about imagining what you would do if a tornado hit. I think exactly like this! I would be busy sketching out some sort of steel tortoise-like shell and insisting someone make it for me pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually laughed out loud when I got to #5! You poor thing! And a homemade pie just because...from hubby?! I'm jealous! I didn't even get anything like that after childbirth ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!