Going Once ... Going Twice ... SOLD!

In an effort to simplify my life, and make a little extra spending money for our upcoming trip to Disney, I am having a garage sale to end all garage sales! I'm giving in to the demons of my past and am letting go to some valuable items that I cherished oh-so long ago. Items that have been so cherished by me, that they have spent the past 9 years in boxes in my basement.

To prepare for my garage sale, I've been watching episodes of Hoarders. Have you seen any of those shows? Absolutely scary. 10 minutes into one of these shows Monday night, and I had to pause the program and go clean my refrigerator (even though I had just cleaned it the day before.) I think this show is the best medicine for anyone who wants to purge. And that is exactly what I am feeling the need to do.

So PG and I spent a good part of the day on Monday cleaning up the storage area - a little spot in our basement that hasn't been touched (really) since we moved in (9 years ago). I must have 10 boxes marked "Memories" that I have moved from one place to another through the years, and finally opened up this week to evaluate. What were those 'memories'? Oh, most of them were items from high school and college, and about 90% of it was thrown away after taking this stroll down "memory lane" this week. I decided that I really didn't need my "Intro to Costuming" binder from an ISU class I took years ago, and that the program from a play that I don't even remember seeing doesn't need to be kept. So, the garbage bags came out . . .and slowly we went through box after box.

My head is a little less stuffy now. I feel a little lighter, like I've gotten rid of some unnecessary baggage. Some of the stuff is staying for an attempt at a happier life in someone else's home. So, starting Friday at 8AM, I'm hoping someone else will decide that they absolutely can not live without:
  • Three plastic 'chinese food cartons' that the Container Store suckered me into adding to a collection of other unnecessary containers
  • An "All My Children" hard cover picture book telling you all the secrets of Pine Valley (in 1995)
  • An old gum ball machine
  • A Marilyn Monroe watch (in decorative collectors box to match) that I just had to buy (in 1987)
  • 10 little soft covered books on making paper air planes that I must have purchased for a real 'bargain' long before I even had kids (I wonder how many children I thought I was going to have that I thought I would have to buy 10 of these little books!)
  • A tulip flower centerpiece that actually is quiet lovely . . . . but I just don't want any longer
  • a lovely collection of frames and movie poster prints that haven't been on my walls in close to 5 years
  • a HUGE assortment of baby toys and clothes
  • 4 different flower girl dresses in sizes from 2, 3 and 4 Toddler (Katie was a busy girl between the ages of 2 and 4!)
  • a box of plastic ware bought from Target at the end of a summer season about 5 years ago (that I continue to forget, year after year)
  • and lots and lots of other things . . .
So, what have I learned?

There is absolutely NOTHING in this world that I NEED . . . with the exception of my family and our health. These boxes of memories, when really looked into, are nothing to me. The life I had 10 years ago, while helped me become the person I am today, is not who I am today. I am so much more than the memories of the past - and I don't need these things to be me. Last weekend, a dear friend of mine from my high school and college days came over with her children and spent the evening with me and my family. THAT is what I need in life ... real life folks and laughter and fun ... not boxes filled with things.

So . . .

Garage Sale, here I come!

When was the last time you went through your old memory boxes? Ever feel the need to simplify all those things in your basement? I'd love to know . . .

Oh, and if you think any of the items I've listed above would find themselves a lovely new home in your heart ... send me an email! I can "hook you up!" ;)

Comments

  1. Ooh, I love that you are doing this! Isn't it crazy what we hang on to over the years? I went through the playroom recently and was stumped as to why I kept certain things. Hubs is a packrat, but at least I'm keeping him on this side of being a hoarder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the right idea! And it's true, it is an uplifting feeling to have less stuff to manage.

    I would LOVE to clean out our basement. Unfortunately, my husband is the hoarder, not myself. And it's not cool to get rid of his stuff. He is so very sentimental, so he still owns practically everything that anyone has ever given to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "An "All My Children" hard cover picture book telling you all the secrets of Pine Valley (in 1995)"

    If it was Days of our Lives...I'd totally buy it from you!! hahaha I haven't watched it in years but I'm sure if I turned it on today I would know exactly what is going on...don't they take like 3 years to live out ONE DAY!! haha

    Good for you!! You don't need all that "stuff" weighing you down!! Lightening the load= lightening the spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness....I can so relate. This summer we did our big purge from the basement, garage sale and all, and let me be the first to tell you something you already know. .....it feels wonderful! We have a make-shift play area in the basement now, and an exercise spot just for me and hubbie.....doesn't get better. Well, it does.....Hubbie wants to put up dry wall and finish a rec room of sorts down there. Life is good after purging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done this over and over, on the other hand my parents, , and all the relatives on my Dad's side as well as a few on my Mom's are hoarders...nothing like in those shows, the items are all placed nicely or hidden in the home, and it is the garages and yards and closets, drawers etc that are over flowing...parents have moved twice in the last 5 years and still have boxes packed and saved from the 60's from before I was a kid...they just moved it from garage to garage and recently to a storage place....yep, never want to be there, the less the better as long as I have my hubby and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I just got back from a flea market with hundreds of booths. It pretty much sums up your garage...Were you there? Every booth we went to was total garage sale material, it was like a neighborhood garage sale but better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. I think getting rid of the chaff in our lives is so important... I just need to do it more often!! We moved in 4 years ago and stuff got put in the attic and on an unused closed in back porch. I am embarrassed to say most of it is still there. Lord know, I've thought about going through it, but I think hubby & I are finally serious about doing it this fall. I can't wait to be able to feel better about those places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I am scheduled to have a garage sale this weekend. Not looking forward to getting up early, but looking VERY forward to getting rid of some stuff. My house has been "in chaos" for a while now, as I've had to postpone twice. It's not even any fun to come home cuz I have to dodge all the boxes!!!! And this is only round 1. I think in 6 months, I'll have another to get rid of even more! Something therapeutic about de-cluttering, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, that Hoarders show made HOB decide to clean up his office!! Good luck with your sale!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've recently begun selling on craigslist to rid our house of extra stuff, which has been uber exciting! I made about a hundred bucks last week on an old lawn mower, a rat cage our ladies outgrew and a cute ring (from an ex-boyfriend!) Extra space, and extra cash, it's a win-win!

    Good luck with your purging!

    -Lady Fromage
    http://ladyfromage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leanne, first I want to say thank you for your kind comments. I really appreciate it! That was nice that you had your daughter think of Little Chick. She is still sick and it has been exhausting for my little one. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. This post is great! I need to do some cleaning and discarding of my own. I agree with you that there is nothing that we really need but our family and health. You are also right about feeling less cluttered in your head when you start getting rid of things. This is great! I hope you have a good day!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is a lot of work! I've never been one to hold on to things to long. Sometimes I wish I did, but like you said, I don't NEED it. I love that show Hoarders...makes me feel less of a mess. Good luck at the sale, hope you make big bucks. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leanne - I can't get passed the fact that you are scaring yourself into your garage sale by watching Hoarders! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How true is this - why do we still hold on to the stuff? The dates made me laugh on some of your stuff. The Marilyn watch? You can put that with my James Dean head mug!

    (I totally watch Hoarders to make myself clean, too!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!