Saturday Morning Memories

This morning, as I sat sipping my cup of coffee and listening to my husband and kids playing the Wii, I started to remember what Saturday mornings were like when I was a kid their age. A smile instantly came upon my face, as I started to recall the days of Saturdays past. If I close my eyes, I am right there in my parents home hearing the sounds of a spoon hitting a glass or of my Dad whistling, smelling the scents of coffee and pledge, and feeling the textures of my parents counter top in their kitchen. I was raised in a pretty great home with parents who worked hard and did so much for our family. I am blessed.

Mom would usually be out the door rather early, doing the grocery shopping for our home and for my Grandma Josephine. Some Saturdays I would tag along with her to the Jewel and Polish deli, but most weekends she got up and was out the door while I still slept. That is, until the sound of Dad stirring his coffee cup would wake me (clink clink clink clink - he was not a quiet stirrer).  If the coffee cup didn't wake me, it surely would have been the sound of the vacuum going as Dad couldn't wait any longer and had to start the Saturday morning cleaning routine (remember? My dad was Felix from Odd Couple.) I would stumble out of bed, brush the teeth and hair, change the clothes, and head downstairs to the rest of the family.

It's funny, as the youngest of 4 kids, I don't remember the other kids being around much. I think my brothers and sister were either working on Saturdays, or away at college when I recall days like this. It's usually just me in my memories. Me and my folks.

The smell of coffee was always in the air, and to this day there is absolutely nothing like the smell of coffee in the morning ... it's a bit of heaven to me. I am certain that is where my love of coffee comes from. Coffee was a staple in our home growing up, and not a morning goes by where it's not made in my adult home here.

A big part of my Saturday memories include Blondie & Dagwood Bumstead Movies, and of course Ma & Pa Kettle Movies, as a local television station would broadcast a few of these classics every single Saturday. I remember sitting in my parents kitchen in the corner of the counter top (where a cool wood cutting board would slide out from the cabinets), and there I would have a bowl of cereal while watching looking into a small television in the corner of the counter top.  I absolutely LOVE these movies ... Blondie was the absolute BEST wife and Mom in the world and so knew how to take care of her Dagwood.

I laugh now thinking about these movies - I haven't thought of them in years. I wonder if I can find them somewhere - I would love to show them to my girls. I think I'm a little bit like Blondie in my real life, and PG is definitely my Dagwood (he would have no problem making a sandwich like Dagwood, and he'd eat the whole thing!) I just learned that there were 28 Blondie movies made from 1938 to 1950. Amazing. And Ma & Pa Kettle . . . what's not to love about them? Any women who holds a riffle as well as that one is a tough lady - and one that I could probably use to take some lessons from!

After finishing my bowl of cereal and cleaning up a little, Mom would be home and I would help bring groceries inside. It was a feast - as mom always brought the best things home (one of my favorites - the carrot salad from the Polish Deli. Mmmmm . . . I could go for some of that right about now.) After everything was put away, the day would move on to whatever the parents had planned (or usually whatever Mom had planned, as my Dad usually just went along with the program.) 

It appears that we have our own Saturday morning routine in our home . . . not quite as structured as Mom and Dads, but one that I'm sure my kids will remember. Saturdays seem to be a Wii Morning in our house ... Super Mario, to be exact. It's the first thing Ella (yes, the 3 1/2 year old) wants to do when she wakes . . . "Can we play Super Mario? You can be the blue polka dot one, and I'll be Luigi!"  While I try to limit their exposure and play time with this Wii game, I have to admit that I absolutely love hearing the laughter that comes from them as they sit and play . . . bumping into each others character on purpose over and over. They crack up and laugh the silliest laughs as they are playing this game. And when Daddy is with them, even more laughter ensues!

I think I need to start a new routine . . . perhaps introduce Dagwood to the family. I just asked PG if he ever saw any of the Blondie movies, and he said no. No?!?! That just will not do. 

How about you? Any Saturday morning routines in your life? Leave me a comment and feel free to share . . . I'd love to know.  

Comments

  1. Hi! I grabbed your button & I'm now following your blog. I found you through the Lady Bloggers Tea Party. Love your blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Happy Sunshiney Saturday! (Yes, all is well.)

    My Saturday mornings as a child would start with me waking up early and watching cartoons! Bugs Bunny, The Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake, Fat Albert, School House Rock.. etc. (My dad worked most Sats) - mom would make some breakfast and I would fly out the door right after lunch to play with my friends. I would only come inside when the street lamp came on!

    NOW - I wake up, have coffee and my new Sat. morning tradition is the LBS Tea. Then I catch up on my Social Media reading and NOW - I am about to head to my Zumba class. I like Saturdays! They are energetic and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er, um...you mean JewelS, right??? Love me some Polish delis!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great memories! Saturday mornings as a kid were great. I remember looking forward to watching Saturday morning cartoons. Oh, the life:) Stopping by from the Lady Bloggers Society!

    ReplyDelete
  5. memory lane ~ what fun...especially resonated with the smell of lemon pledge! Saturday mornings now, as much as possible, are relaxing..I try to clear the calendar, it's funny because my 9 year old expects the same, sleep in, eat breakfast & watch a movie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Liz's comment above -- Jewels! Yes, Jewels!!! and Oscos too!!! (both with an "s")

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not have those kind of fond memories from my childhood, at least not with my folks, but I do with my Paternal Grandparents...My Grandpa always was up early, brewing the coffee, cooking and with a big smile on his face. I loved every minute of the couple years I lived in their home while my parents lived in a trailer cause our house was being built.

    I do recall the old movies and such though and adored Ma and Pa Kettle, along with some of the silent movies and classic comedy pairings as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lady Blogger Tea Party

    We watch a little cartoons and then go out and play before it gets too hot out. Then lunch, naptime, and back outside for playing! I admit though I love my Wii and Super Mario too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Blondie & Dagwood Bumstead!! And my childhood (and newsprint covered fingertips) flashes before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blondie movies?? I just thougth they were a comic strip...huh wonder which on came first? I'm sure my kids will always remember mommys coffee...steaming as I walk them to the bus stop in the mornings...or setting on the coffee table as I read and they watch Sat morning cartoons, I don't let them play wii in the am because it gets their brain crazy and they start spinning like tops all day. But after lunch its game on. :)
    Great post as always Leanne...ya jerk (sorry couldn't help it...now that is a good Sat morn movie lol)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!