Leasons learned when selling our treasures!

Hello Dear friends!!! Well, we made it! We survived our Garage Sale of the Century! And boy-oh-boy, I'm tired! After a few nights of gathering goodies, folding kids clothes, and pricing our treasures, we had a most successful sale this weekend! In the end, we sold lots of our old treasures and banked a whopping $262.00. Not bad for 2 days work, huh? Here are a few of the things I learned during this years sale:

  • The items you really think will sell . . . don't
  • The items you think will NOT sell . . . do
  • The people who look like they have all the money in the world, will usually pay with pennies, and those who look like they don't have a penny to spend will end up pulling out a wad of cash from their pockets
  • Long haired men with scruffy faces and tattoos covering their arms should not be judged by their rough appearance ... they end up being the most delightful customer who you wish would pull up a chair and sit with, just so you can hear their life story
  • A man with a really thick southern drawl may actually have lived in the midwest for 40 years . . . he just can't quit his "Texan" sound
  • 'Good Stuff Cheap' is a great motto for ones sale ... if your prices are low enough, people will buy just about anything (except when your 7-yr old tells them, "No, that's not a very good Barbie Movie. I didn't like it." They might not purchase the DVD for 25 cents after that one!)
  • giving a little stuffed animal to a small child for free, and watching them (and their Mom) light up with smiles, is just about the sweetest thing ever
  • A little rain doesn't stop people from shopping
  • I need to stay away from little babies . . . because when I see one, I almost want another (well, almost!) 

So, yes, we had a fantastic sale . . . and have a little extra spending money for our upcoming trip to Disney! We leave later in this week - I'm hoping to catch up on all your blogs (with comments, too!) by tonight. I have a couple other stories to share with you this week, then a fantastic line up of guest bloggers while I'm gone (thanks ladies!!) I may even have my husband write something, too (imagine a post by our very own PG! How exciting!)

Until then, I wish you all a fantastically peaceful remainder of the weekend surrounded by love and laughter. Be good to each other!

Comments

  1. We had one recently, during which these things came to mind.

    1) I can't believe nobody's buying anything.

    2) I can't believe people are buying this stuff.

    3) REALLY? THAT? Of all the things we are selling, THAT is what you want to buy???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we learned the same lessons ...I actually miss having them. No longer have things to sell , nor a place to do it, so I donate....but I always did enjoy garage sale day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stole a moment away from my family to catch up on your blog! I can't stand being away from my bloggy friends. Sounds like an excellent garage sale! You guys have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sound like a total sociology experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on a great sale!! Love that you had fun. I have garage sales about every 2 years and think they are fun...but oh so much work. Enjoy your extra cash at Disney!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should totally do it! What do you mean "what?" Have another baby of course!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leanne I love this list! I have to laugh about the items you think might sell don't but the ones you think won't do. It sounds like a success! That is great! I gave you an award! Come and get it! Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your comment today. You are one of my dearest friends...and we've never even met. Pretty cool, huh? I KNOW if we lived closer we would so help each other out. And I would probably get to hang out in the Cellar with you and Peggy and Cindi...sweet!

    Love ya', too...and your post is almost finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey...we had our garage sale this weekend too...raked in a little over $300, so now each of my three kiddos has some spending cash...no telling how long that will last, though! I was not very sociable at my sale, however, due to the fact that I was wilting in the 90-something degree heat with a fever of 102, so I probably missed out on some fun conversations. I love that you are such a little social sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me know that you got my post...just sent it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfectly said! Glad it went well. Sent you an email, too...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips!!! Have a blast on vacation!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess I've been missing out all these years! I don't have the patience for putting on a yard sale, everything goes to Goodwill.

    I'll have to rethink the next time I do a thinning out of stuff. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow thats a lot of money for a weekend sale, great job, but you should fire your dvd sales gal :)
    I've missed your comments, but don't stress and have a wonderful trip. Big love ooxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!