This is Shocking News, Friends!!!

BUT . . . I think I'm loosing my coolness. I used to be cool (if you know me - don't laugh. This is my blog - you go ahead and just let me think that I used to be cool, ok?)


I digress . . . I used to be cool. Kids on the block used to laugh at me, my neighbors son used to like to hang out and talk to me, my nephew used to think I was the coolest Aunt around. But every once in a while, something happens that puts me right into reality . . . and I realize that I'm not as cool as I think I am.

Like a couple weeks ago, when I went to a high school football game to cheer on the son of a dear longtime friend of mine, Karen. There in the football stands, I felt like a kid again - it was SO MUCH FUN! I clapped, I cheered, I remembered days of High School Past when I had a crush on the quarterback. Ahhh . . . it was so fun. Except a few things were different from how they used to be back during my high school days. This time, I was there with my husband and my kids. This time, instead of watching for the cute high school boys to walk by, I saw my very own 15 year old nephew and realized that he is 1) old enough to go to high school and 2) one of the adorable boys that I would have surely been gaga over had I been a high school girl. My nephew was pretty surprised to see me, and when he asked what I was doing there, goofy me tried to be silly and said, "I'm watching the baseball game!" He left quickly after that - I think I embarrassed him. This time, instead of saying a prayer for the players on the field, I felt myself saying prayers that we wouldn't end up in the Emergency Room as PG (who still thinks he is in high school) tried to climb out of the stands by maneuvering his body between two railings in such a way that I was certain would lead to broken bones. Yes, attending this football game was such fun, but a big reality check.

I am not as cool as I think I am!

Or, like a few days later, when my friends 4 year old daughter, Maggie, put me in my place (I believe the correct modern word would be "dissed" - the act of being spoken to in a disrespectful way. I never quite got a handle on that word. I always forget what the word is and say, "dished" and then the neighborhood kids look at me like I've got 2 heads. hmmmm. . . .)  Maggie is an absolute JOY in my life - she's a little spitfire of fun, she has the absolute BEST laugh in the whole wide world, and she is a partner in crime with my Ella. When the two are together - there is always TROUBLE! So, this afternoon Maggie was hanging out with Ella and I for a few hours. The two girls were upstairs in Ella's room playing, when I went to check on them. There they sat, on Ella's bed, with a little toy keyboard on the floor and Katie's guitar in front of them. The keyboard was on demo mode, and was playing a song (some christmas jingle, I believe) over and over. And Ella and Maggie were dancing and laughing and having the time of their life. I decided that I would join in their party, and (from the hallway, mind you) decided to start bobbing my head back and forth and moving my arms like doing the twist. I was having FUN. Dancing. With the kids. All of a sudden, dear Maggie said, "Aunt Leanne?" "Yes, honey, what is it?" I asked, expecting her to say something about what a good dancer I was or what good voice I had, or something like that. "Could you go downstairs?" she asked. I was cramping their style - and little Mags wanted me gone. Wow.

I am not as cool as I think I am!

Maybe it is the recent eye rolls that Katie has started giving this year. She's only 7 - can it be that she already knows EVERYTHING??? Do I have a genius on my hands? I used to know what was cool for kids to wear . . . but I guess I don't anymore. Nope, I'm not as cool as I think I am.

This is a big realization coming from me. But one that I'm enjoying. This next chapter . . . the Not Cool Chapter . . . is the one I've really looked forward to most. This chapter includes embarrassing the kids - like checking the mail with HUGE rollers on, and wearing a MOO-MOOs when Katie has friends over! What fun!!! I may not be cool . . . but I'll be laughing A LOT at my non-coolness!

Have you done anything "not cool" lately? I'd love to know.

Comments

  1. Too funny. ;-) It only gets better! I have to say, when they turn into teens - then I have plenty of advice (after 14 of them!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once drove my then 6th grader to middle school in my P.J. and messy hair when he missed the bus because he was playing the Wii! He never missed the Bus again...That was so Not cool!

    I think you are pretty dang cool! Even if you do the twist. what? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel your pain. I am so NOT cool anymore, although at times I still think I am! My language, dancing, even music is all "lame".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are totally as cool as you think you are!! So there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so not cool right along with you;)

    You know I started teaching Seminary this week and boy I feel so NOT COOL and ancient...*sigh*. I tried to be funny the first day and my son Jacks just rolled his eyes like "MOm, that was soooo not cool {or funny!!}

    We got to the HS football games every home game and boy can I relate to what you said.

    Love your stories as always, girl. I have been trying to get used to my new schedule so I think I've missed a few of your posts:(...

    Have a happy and totally cool weekend!!!

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leanne, you're still cool...just for a different age group, Sweetie!!
    But boy, I can relate! So...a word to the wise...don't ever walk down a hallway in high school and even THINK that you are cool enough to talk to a kid who moments ago was in your office being very sociable. It's not gonna happen, and you just aren't cool enough to pull it off!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the better question is, have I done anything COOL lately, as opposed to not cool. 'Cause everything I do is uncool to my kids except for baking cakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, it's a bummer when we know how cool we are in our heads but the children see us so very differently..What's up with that anyway!!

    Oh well, what comes around, goes around, it too will hit them the same some day! HA!

    Stay cool, be cool I think your GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Leanne, You won you won! I emailed you but maybe you didn't get it - pls. email me your mailing address and I'll send over the fab book from my giveaway. tightwadblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I am reminded on a daily basis just how uncool I am and yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. yeah, i hate it when my head and heart think young, and that cute pair of shoes i want don't look so cute on a 56 year old woman...
    bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leanne, you are cool in my book! I have done that with the dancing and singing and have been asked to go clean the dishes or something. Ha! I thought I was cool too! Somewhere I lost my coolness too. I noticed it when everyone at the stores and bank would say thank you mam instead of miss! Goodness, when did I age so much! Just remember that you are really cool in the blogworld! I came by to say hi and to ask you if you would like to be my fabulous featured blogger next week. That is cool! I would need you to post either next Thursday night at 10:00 New York Eastern time or Friday night at the same time. Let me know. Have a great day my friend!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you are pretty darn cool! And no worries, when the kids get older, you will be cool in their eyes again, just in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, you really are a dork! (Only kidding! But I have said that to you once or twice.) But I am a dork too and the thing is, I can admit it. And how do I know I am a dork? Because my nieces (age 3 and age 7) roll their eyes at me all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!