Guest Post #1: Bossy Betty

Starting off our week of amazing Guest Bloggers is Bossy Betty, an absolutely brilliant writer, story teller, and photographer whose blog I started following about 12 months ago, and who has enriched my life not only with the wonderful posts on her blog, but through her heart felt, supportive, and always humorous comments on my blog. I adore this woman. She is my idol . . . and I can only hope to some day reach the hearts and funny bones of my blog friends as she manages to do every day. Without further adieu, I present you with Guest Post #1, Bossy Betty, and her story titled . . .

Bon Voyage Every Day

When I leave for work in the morning, I run into school traffic--parents dropping off their kids at the local schools near our house. If I am early enough, I also see some parents dropping off their high schools students at the nearby bus stop. The traffic is slow, stop and go, and there's plenty of time to gaze into other cars and do some people-watching.

Yesterday morning I caught sight of a woman in a car who was moving her mouth as though it was full of old, dry toast that she was determined to chew up then spit it out. At first I thought she must have Bluetooth in her car and whoever was on the other end of the line was getting an earful, a royal chewing out. She stared straight ahead and worked that mouth vigorously without stopping. I watched her and couldn't help but almost start to laugh at the scene. But then, as I inched the car forward, I saw her high school-aged son in the passenger's seat. It was clear: he was the one she was directing all that sputum towards. My amusement turned to sorrow. You could see the defeated look in his eyes as he turned his head and gazed out the window.

The traffic moved ahead and in another car I saw another parent, obviously not too happy with her middle school student who sat slumped in her seat. There was a Lecture in progress in that car for sure. You could just see the yearning of the girl, waiting to get out, away from that voice, away from the negativity. In another car, a father sat expressionless and silent as he drove his daughter to school.

Those scenes yesterday morning made me think about days when I was in school and felt like no one understood me, or even cared about me. It was rare, but there were days when my mom was mad at me as I left for school, and it set the tone for the whole day. I went to school and found no love there, only rules I had to follow, and more adults I had to placate. It was miserable.

Our son is in high school, and every year we go to his school's Back to School night. There, we a small taste of what he faces on a daily basis. We follow his schedule of classes, (for short, ten minute classes instead of the hour long ones he goes to) going from one room to another and then to another, from one teacher to another, to another, pushed along by an obscenely loud and harsh bell.

His high school is huge, his classes are huge, every teacher assigns work, and there is very little time for individual attention. There are different rules in every room. This teacher wants them to use a blue pen. This one demands they write out the date and not use numbers. One teacher wants a certain kind of binder. The math teacher demands graph paper. The English teacher wants them to put their names on the left hand side of the paper only. Every day he leaves home where he has our expectations to meet and our rules to follow. Then he goes to school and deals with six authority figures at school, all of who have rules and expectations for him to follow and meet.

It seems to me, as parents, we have a golden opportunity every morning, and we often blow it, not understanding the power that we have in those few minutes before our children set out on their days. So often we use any time we have with them to inform, direct, instruct, and to make very clear the things we are not happy about, and make very clear how our children can make the changes we see as necessary.

It's a rough world out there and sometimes we make it even rougher for the ones we love the most. So this morning when a certain young man leaves for school, I intend tell him that I love him, that I am proud of him, and if he needs me for anything, I am just a phone call away. I know he'll roll his eyes, shirk away from my hug, and say "OK, Mom, OK."

He'll leave, walking with that familiar gait I can spot for a mile. He'll carry that heavy backpack on his narrow shoulders.

What I want him to carry as well is the innate knowledge of how much I admire him. I want him to carry with him the deep knowledge that as he navigates these turbulent waters of his high school years, if he drops an oar now and then, that it's OK.

I hope my morning goodbye to him lets him know that he has people who will help him find that oar again, who will be the solid surface he can use to steady himself, and who will send him out on his journey again with love, encouragement and best wishes.
- Bossy Betty

Comments

  1. So true, Betty. We do often use those few moments to make sure our instructions are clearly heard and understood.. or to express dismay.. or remind.. or something. I have always made a point of a parting hug and "I love you" and though it's sincere, it's also by rote. You've got me thinking now of other ways to make that positive impact for a day-starter. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to walk or ride bikes with my kids to and from school. This gave us time to share that did stay with you for the day.Finally the day came that they wanted their freedom and it was hard to break away from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Betty, and so true. A great reminder to us all that the last moment our child goes to school or gets on the bus should be a positive and happy hug and kiss and I LOVE YOU from their parents. Our time with them is so short, sometimes we get wrapped up in other things. Perhaps if we all shared more with our kids, the world would be better. We can all do a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, a considered and thought-provoking post from Betty. I don't have kids but it does upset me when I see parents who just seem to dump criticism on their children and never praise.
    Nice to find your blog, Leanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some mighty words of wisdom, Betty! Parents don't realize the power they have over their kids and their attitudes. It's a crappy world out there - why make it worse for them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice post, your day is affected by how you start it and a kind word goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad I took the time to hop over here today Betty, not being so agile in the hopping department typically :-) This is definitely one of your best posts, I loved it. I remember mornings getting ready for school as a child as being fraught, so much so that I was often glad to just get out of the house and to school and away from it all to a more happy, peaceful setting. It is easy in the rush in the morning to as you say just dole out instructions and impart expectations but what our children really need to know is that we love and support them. I will try and remember your words and act on them in the next fifteen years :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet you're an awesome mom, BB. And I hope your boys appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. BB what a meaningful and oh so true post....on my lunch break I often see young moms with their children. The moms 99% of the moms are talking on the cell or texting...I think to myself DO YOU KNOW you cannot capture this exact moment in your child's life again. They are missing so many opportunities to really talk to their children or just be silly with them....We have a rule in our house...do not part with angry words between you.

    Thank you for this beautiful guest post.
    Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty, this is soooo good. Thank you for writing about this!! I take 5 to 7 kids to school everyday and try to make it the absolute best environment I can...but when it's just my 2 kids I can get pretty naggy. I gotta stop and remember your words!! Love it!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww you made me a tear up a little bit, because I had a LOT of those bad days going to school with my parents. I never realized how many rules and how many structure we were given as kids, but you're right.

    Thanks for being a good mom. Means one less kids I have to worry about in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gee, you really are here, I was afraid the giant rodent got you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I try to always be aware that we don't know what the day holds and this may be the last time we get to say goodbye, not to be morbid but to be mindful of what we say and do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. excellent betty...i think many students need to knwo that...and starting the day by hearing about things that they did not do right or with a lecture...definitely does not bode well for the day...oh, nice kinda scary thought jenn...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very poignant as usual Betty. It's pretty easy for me to do this with my 5-year-old, but I'm sure it gets more and more challenging as the years roll by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your son is very lucky to have you as mum!!!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for reminding me what it was like to be young as recently I have been thinking if I only knew then what I know now. Maybe I should spend more time thinking if I only knew now what I knew then. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw Betty, what a good mom you are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww...that is so sweet.
    Even if our children don't seem to appreciate our love and support, I know it means so much on the inside which is what makes a great idependent child.
    You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As I read your post, I reflected back to how I was when my kids were in high school. I think I tried to remember this, although I know I came up short on many days because I wouldn't let the previous evening's conversation (or lack of) go. I hope they choose to remember the good days!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You make some terrific points here. I'm going to try to be more aware of how I send my teen off to school. You are so right though...with minutes between each class, being herded along the halls, it would be a long, tough day. I never thought of it that way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you are always full of wise words.. how awful to send our kids off to "work" with such sadness... lesson learned. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful post, Betty. I think you have a very lucky son. Hope you have a nice weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. BB, I'd follow you anywhere! I know exactly what you're talking about. A friendly word or two in the morning could work wonders.
    great post Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are a wise woman, Betty! This is just what I needed to read today! It may just make this home a place where the kids want to hang out at again!

    ReplyDelete
  26. BTW: Just wanted you to know that I was so wrapped up in your message, that I never saw a typo. So tell your Type A editor self to relax.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Brian Miller

    Yeah ... it sounded worse than it is, I get that from re-reading my comment. It was supposed to be about how life can change in a moment, so I take care with my words. Probably still not clear :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. A good reminder that we need to make each moment count from the heart and not the ego. You are a great Mom. I enjoy visiting you here and over there :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am in a car pool for my middle school daughter and all the other car pooling moms love me because I insist on driving the morning route every single day. I like seeing my girls off and talking to them. Same goes with my high school girl I drive her to and from school, no bus. And I did the same with my college girl.

    Those trips are some of the most special times we had. No radio, just us talking. Taking my kids to school is one of my favorite parts of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved this post, Betty.
    A great reminder! You're so wise, great mom, great teacher!!

    You're simply awesome!

    Happy Sunday!

    B xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It is too bad that we can't make all parents read this one. Maybe you can print it out and give it to the principal and he can photocopy and send it home as a MUST READ for all parents. He can title it as IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO MAKE YOU KID'S LIFE HARDER BEFORE SCHOOL EACH MORNING. WE MAKE IT TOUGH ENOUGH WHEN THEY GET HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wise words my Friend, as parents we do seem to talk down to our kids so to say in an attempt to make sure they are doing things right when in fact just an I Love You and I'm proud of you will do far more than another needless lecture they don't hear anyway, at least the I Love Yous they hear whether they admit it or not.

    Great Post Betty, Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your son and your students are so lucky to have you, Betty. In fact, would you mind adopting this middle aged woman? Please! I'll load your dishwasher and remove the lint from the washer.
    xoRobyn
    PS Thanks for the A+. I'm honored (even if you don't adopt me).

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautifully written Betty. :) Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is so true, Betty. And harsh words in the morning can set the tone of a person's day. This is great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those hugs and kisses and affirmations as we send our kids out the door are so vital!! Thanks for the reminder, BB!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. How very true this is, Betty. I've caught myself in lecture mode, or even "mean morning mommy" mode on occasion. I've made it my goal that the kids don't leave my presence or go to bed without knowing how much I love them (maybe because I sent my daughter to her 2nd week of kindergarten on the days after September 11th, but one never knows).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!