Duck, duct, duck . . . TAPE!

Have you seen the latest?

No?

Don't worry. I hadn't either.

That is . . . until recently, when Katie came home from school and declared, "Mom, we need to go buy some duck tape!"

"Duct tape," I corrected her, "and why do you want to buy some of it?"

You see, I know all about duct tape. Yes, I do. ALL about it. I happen to have been raised in a house with the KING of all things duct and taped. Oh, yes I was.  My father.

When something broke, my Dad had just the thing to fix it ... duct tape. And it looked something like this . . .


According to Wikipedia, duct tape was "originally developed during World War II in 1942 as a water resistant sealing tape for ammunition cases. Permacel, then a division of Johnson & Johnson, used a rubber-based adhesive to help the tape resist water and a fabric backing to add strength. It was also used to repair military equipment quickly, including jeeps, firearms, and aircraft because of these properties."

But in my house, the King of Duct Tape didn't use it for military equipment or jeeps or firearms. Nope, not at our house. In our house, we used it to tape the side of the furnace that kept falling off, or the back of a ceramic calendar that dad must have dropped without any of us knowing. Duct tape was also used to secure handles on an old basement refrigerator, hold up certain parts of automobiles, and even used to secure the washing mashing hose to the sink. Yep, duct tape was a staple in the house I grew up in.

So, I wasn't surprised when Katie said she wanted some - because Katie is alot like my Dad. What I wasn't expecting, upon our arrival to our local Target store, was finding that there is a brand of duct tape called, of course, "DUCK TAPE" and it appears to have taken on a whole new persona. Nowadays, duct (or 'duck') tape is available in every color under the sun . . . red, green, blue, white, purple, zebra pattern, tie-dyed, peace signs. You name it . . . it's out there. So, being the lover of all things duct, we picked up a few rolls of it.

Then when we came home . . . I got to work. Turns out, you can pretty much make ANYTHING out of duck tape. We did a little googling (I love Google, don't you?) and before long, we had a lovely rose AND a wallet. Seriously . . .  

Oh, but wait . . . there's more!

Weeks passed, and then Katie received a phone call from her dear friend, Megan (who happens to live a few doors down, and whose Mom, Christina, I just adore.) Megan invited us over for a special Duck Tape Purse Party!!! IMAGINE!!! What a sweetheart. Except, my dear friend Christina wasn't aware of her daughters plan. So, after a little more Googling and putting our heads together . . . we came up with our Duck Tape purses. . . . WITH BONUS PHOTOS!!! (I KNOW!! IT's HEAVEN, isn't it????!!!!) Could you imagine????

We really got fancy when it came to the purse straps. . . I mean, who would have thought . . . DUCK TAPE BRAIDED straps!!!! Look out Coach! We're DUCOACH!!! (Ok, maybe not . . . I have to work on the name a little more.)

But look at our creations . . . I even made a Nintendo DSI-XL holder (that's the purple one below):
Seriously!
What I failed to mention, however, is that about 1/2 hour into the Duck Tape Purse party, all the kids left to go play as the moms sat around the kitchen table making the purses. A couple hours of silliness and slap-happiness, we had some really original duck tape items. We laughed and said we should start a demonstration business going to homes and sitting making these purses night after night. Heck, with the right glass of wine by my side, anything is possible, don't you think? (Ok, maybe NOT!)

So, just had to share the latest creative adventure from "From Chaos comes Happiness!"

Next time you are in Target (or Walmart, Lowes, Menards or even Walgreens), pick up a few roles of Duck Tape and see what you can make . . . the SKY is the limit, my friend!

Comments

  1. OMG. Seriously? That is Waaay cool. Totally reposting this on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purses!!! I believe I saw a dress made out of duct tape once. It was very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen these!! Em's friend has one and every time we are in Michael's Em wants to buy the Zebra duct tape. Too funny!! Your creations turned out sooooo well:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes my dear friend Leanne, I have seen the many uses of Duct tape. I too agree it's the fix it of all fix its. Your Duct crafts are fun and if you Google a little further you will see dresses made out of the sticky substance!

    Better get shopping for more tape, just think of the possibilities...matching purses to the Duct dress!!

    Your purses and wallets are adorable and really fun!! Can you believe duct has come so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing! Now you can try making some cute ducks made from Duck Duct tape :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kidding me!!?? HOw cool is that, I've seen said duck tape at the stores but Had know Idea it could be used for such cool stuff!! Great Idea for my next kids church teaching advture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...that is seriously the coolest thing I have ever seen duct tape used for! LOL Greatness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are WAY too cute! What a fabulous party it must have been!!! We used to have neighbors who took the various colors and widths of duct tape and put vertical/horizontal strips on their blinds, a la Mondrian -- it was so, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your creations!!
    Have you given up on the kleenex box covers??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who knew?!
    Duct tape just may be able to cure the world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess you missed on the news from time to time around prom time kids make tuxes and dresses as well. I have even seen wedding dresses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dad would be so proud... These are great

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the duck tape stuff - dad would think you were absolutely nuts. Peggy had a good comment though... what ever happened to the kleenex box project? I never did get one a Christmas, ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came by to thank you for your great comment you left on my last post and just loved this. Hubby is obsessed with duct tape (and not in a good way). It is currently sticking our front door together after I ripped the wood off trying to open it in freezing temperatures (Didn't know I was so strong!) He uses for all sorts of things. I'm going to show him how he might become more creative - can't wait to see his face. 'Duck tape - ha ha!)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look amazing! Seriously! You could set up shop with some of those. Love the purses and the DS holder. And those braided straps are awesome. You have quite a duck tape talent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!