The Angels Among Us

Isn’t it amazing how angels visit you when you least expect it? Recently my dear friend Peggy wrote about Angels in her blog (click here to visit her post) and I have to admit – when I first read it I was having a hard time understanding or relating to her story. I guess on that day I just wasn’t “open” to it. But, you know . . . since that day it's been rather funny to me that I’ve been visited by a number of Angels. My Angels . . . how blessed I am.

We have had a rough financial year in our house. Don’t worry – we are completely fine and still able to enjoy our Starbucks coffee here and there! But we have to really budget our life right now, as late incentive checks and cut in salaries have caused a big strain on our pocket book. The economy has hit so many people – and we have fallen right in line with that. I always tell PG, though, that God always takes care of us, and it is so very true. While we may have struggles week to week with our cash flow, we always have a roof over our head and a warm dinner on our stove. We have our jobs, and we are so very grateful for them (especially since I can look around me and see a number of loved ones and friends who have lost theirs.) We truly have everything we need to live a very comfortable life. And most important of all - we have each other – which is truly all that really matters. Even in the midst of the struggles in the world . . . somehow (when we have been down to our last pennies and counting the hours to pay day) an Angel manages to stop by our house – offering and providing something to make it a little easier for us. Truly – a blessing.

Who are my Angels?

My dear friend Karen: She called me last week and said, “Hey, I have a coupon for a $20 Butterball turkey – do you want it?” I told her that we weren’t having Thanksgiving. She said, “So, take the coupon and buy one for Christmas. Use it whenever.” Within a day, the coupon was in my hands. Karen –you have no idea how much I appreciate you! THANK YOU, for being my Angel.

My Mom: Remember when I told you last week that I was dealing with that cold and my Mom made me call the doctor? Well, not only did she insist I call the Dr, but she went and picked up my medicine for me, and she paid for both of my prescriptions. She knew that we were 2 days away from pay day (which usually means we are down to those last pennies) and she wouldn’t take money from me. Mom – THANK YOU so much for buying my medicine, and for being my Angel.

My Sister: Who is always there to back me up and offer help (in so many ways). She can hear the tone in my voice and know immediately when I am in distress. She is my rock. THANK YOU for being my Angel, K.

The nice lady at Cold Stone Creamery: So last night I went to Katie’s parent teacher conference. Katie has had a wonderful year in school so far . . . and I am SO proud of her. When I returned home after meeting w/her teacher, I told PG that I wanted to take her out for Ice Cream, as a special treat for all of her hard word. Since something like this is a “non-necessity”, we looked online for coupons, but couldn’t find any. We decided to take the girls anyway. While in line waiting to order our treats, we noticed a number of people had coupons in their hands. (“Bummer”, we thought.) Then all of a sudden, the lady behind us handed us an extra one that she had. We saved 50% on our treat! 50%!!! SERIOUSLY! THANK YOU, Cold Stone Angel (that’s what I call her now.)

It seems like the holidays always bring out the Angel in all of us, and this year is no exception. I am surrounded by Angels. But my plan, now, is to be an Angel to someone else. To do something to try and make someone else’s life a little easier this holiday season. Perhaps I can help a friend by watching their child while they Christmas shop, or bake some extra cookies for an elder neighbor. One thing I’ve decided to do for sure, is take my daughters shopping and have each of them pick out one toy that we can donate to our local “Toys for Tots” drop box. I think that this year it is important that we focus on how blessed we are (even though we don’t always feel that way), and I want them to learn how important it is to give to others.

Do you have any Angels in your life? I’d love to hear about them. The photo above is of a very special Angel ornament my Grandmother, Grandma Josephine, made for all the girls in the family at least 20 years ago. Gram passed away in 2001, and every year that ornament is front and center on our Christmas Tree, so that the best Angel of all (Gram) is close by. I'll have to tell you more about her later - she was an incredible lady. Thanks for being my Angel, Gram!

Comments

  1. Beautiful post! Such a peaceful feeling! A James Russell Lowell quote: "All God's angels come to us disguised." That's why you always need to keep your eyes open, staying mindful for what comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, you are such a giving and kind person. I don't know you well...but I can just feel that in all your posts. I think that's why I like coming around so much!!:)

    I do have many Angels in my life!!

    My mom is so much like yours. Things have been tight here, too and she never hesitates to help us out when we need it. Love you, Mom!!!

    My good friends Kristen, Amber and Rochelle. They seem to be there just when I need them the most.

    My husband. Even though we can be in complete chaos (we own several business's so you never know what's going to happen) he has a smile for me and the kids when he gets home. I love him so very much!!

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!