A $20 Good Samaritan

What a week . . . what a crazy, stressful, busy, non-stop action week.

And I am SO GLAD it is over.

Have you ever gotten to that point, after a few stressful days, that you really just don't care what else happens? This is going to sound so much more negative than I mean it to, and I really wasn't cranky about it, but I just had that whole, "Ok . . . whatever . . . we'll deal with it." kind of attitude.  I'm not often the "whatever" kind of person. But yesterday, I totally took on the "whatever" persona. I'm not proud of it . . . and it's since passed (thank goodness). . . but it was just one of those weeks.

However, in the midst of all of the stress . . . was one wonderful and inspiring moment at my very favorite place in the world.

Ok, maybe it's not my VERY FAVORITE place in the world, but it's certainly close.

So, here's the story.

Heading out to a client's office yesterday, I decided to stop and pick up a little gift card for one of the people at that office who really goes above and beyond in helping me when I am there. So, I stopped at the best place I could think of . . . Starbucks.

At the register, I handed the gift card to the barrista and contemplated whether I was going to get myself a coffee beverage. With the holidays coming, I have actually been cutting down on my Starbucks intake (the budget, you know.) It's actually been more of a self questioning "Do I really need to spend money on a coffee today?" to which the answer is usually "No. I really don't need that."  So, I stood there ready to take the gift card and run, when the barrista said, "Can I get you something to drink?"

He twisted my arm.

Ok . . . not really.

I thought long and hard, and decided that a grande coffee (with cream ONLY - no sweetener) would really cheer up this stressful chaotic mood I was in, so I splurged and order just that (going against every bit of my recent "do I really need this right now?" mentality. Actually, I think I answered my own question . . . that after a really stressful couple days, "YES. I NEED IT BAD.")

"Ok, this is going to sound weird, but the customer before you left me with $20 and told me to pay for the next 4 drink orders. So, your coffee is free today," said the barrista.

"Are you kidding me?" I asked.

"Nope," he said, "really, here's his $20. And here's your coffee."

I've seen the movie "Pay It Forward" and I've heard about those silent Good Samaritan's out there doing wonderful things like this, but have never before been the receiver of such generosity from a complete and total stranger, who wasn't even present to thank. For a minute, I thought I was on one of those ABC News programs, like, "What would YOU do?" and found myself looking around waiting for the camera man to come out and a bright light to be shining on me. Then again, it was only a $1.95 cup of coffee. But I have to tell you, it felt like I won the lottery.

 I think my eyes started to fill up with tears.

Because after a week of really frustrating scenarios, I realized that in the midst of all of that, there are still some amazingly generous people out there in this world. Kind people. People who want to do something good for others. People who want to do something good for complete and total strangers.

It gave me hope.

It gave me happiness.

It inspired me.

And when I next have an extra $20 in the wallet, I will be doing the same exact thing. Yes, I will be paying it forward.

I wonder if that man who left the $20 has any idea how much he did for me yesterday morning. How he pulled me out of a really crummy pity-party and made me realize that people can and are good to each other. And how there must be some sort of stronger force out there in the universe to make good things happen.

So today I am dedicating this post to the $20 Good Samaritan who visited my Starbucks yesterday. Thank you so much for treating me to a wonderful cup of coffee, and for reminding me of the good in the world. May good things come back to you, tenfold.

Comments

  1. Leanne, I LOVE this post. I love the fact that this Man thought to do something like this. I have to tell you though, I think it's great that the barrista was so honest and actually followed thru with what the gentlemen asked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have actually been known to do something like that before. Pay for an extra coffee, pay the toll for someone behind me. Sometimes it does us good to be reminded that kindness still does exist. Glad you were the recripicant of such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great thing to have happened to you, on the most crumby day of your week (yesterday). There is still hope for mankind and yes, I say pay it forward too! This has inspired me to do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh. that's awesome. I really needed to hear that story! (see you are paying it forward with spirit). I just left a store called Old Time Pottery (not sure if you have them) - and it is a HUGE warehouse of everything you can imagine. I tried to keep a smile on my face and be pleasent, since it was busy - but there were some bitter old buzzards in there! Thanks for proving there is GOOD in people - still!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really wonderful Leanne! I love stories like this, thanks for sharing!! I think I'm going to do the same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it Leanne! It is so nice how people can do something kind and the outcome spreads far. You needed a smile and you got one (and a nice Starbucks coffee). I have been saying the same thing lately about Starbucks. It is expensive and it can really add up in the week. It is the one thing I do treat myself with though. I usually just get a coffee. I like cafe mochas also. My butt has been getting bigger from those! I hope you have a great weekend! Make sure to rest and do something that makes you smile!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I love those random acts of kindness. It really is inspiring and I'm so glad you wrote about it.

    Funny thing is, this happened to me this past summer at Starbucks drive thru. I was haggered after a day at the park with the kids and decided to treat myself to an iced coffee...little did I know the customer ahead of me wanted to pay for it. Such a wonderful feeling.

    My husband and I do this every now and then, buy the person's drink behind us at Starbucks.

    Hope this was a start to a great weekend for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leanne, Was just surfing and read your blog. It is nice to see people do Random Acts of Kindness.
    Katie's blog is such a good idea for her writing development:)
    Of course, she is following her mother with creativity as I am sure Ella is also:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome post!! There's nothing better in this world than to experience (either end) a RAK. And sometimes, we all need to read/hear about one to remind us to do the same!! Thank you so much for the reminder!!
    By the way, this is a perfect example of the Law of Attraction. We can discuss later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We know it in our hearts, but we sometimes forget that the little things really make SUCH a big difference! I'm inspired to do this same thing for someone today.

    I do find, however, that when you do something generous it helps to have an 'escape' route. I remember paying someone's bus fare and he was delighted but then the seat next to me was the only vacant one on the bus... cue awkward silence!!!

    Visiting you from Mama's Little Nestwork. Lovely to meet a new blogger. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous story!!! Truly, that was an angel among us, sharing happiness without seeking any credit whatsoever ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this was an incredibly inspiring story! I've never heard anything like it, but I think I want to do the same next time I head into starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful story, it warms my heart to know there are people like that in this world. It does give hope. Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just the coolest story. I felt my eyes filling with tears right along with you. I have had those days and loving coffee maybe more than you do, I can so see how that would feel like winning the lottery. That is just so like God - and I am so inspired by your story - little unexpected gifts. I want to do that, I want to do more - giving - instead of always thinking of myself and what I want. Oh wow! You have blessed me and the Good Samaritan has blessed me - beyond words. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uh, chills. Yes, I got chills! How awesome! What is it about you, sunshine, the chocolate man, the pay it forward Starbucks man...you are walking under your own rainbow, girl! And....you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cool. I've been the recipient of kindness too. One time I was at the grocer's during a snow storm and someone removed the snow from my windshield. So now I've started doing that too. It's in the little things!

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!