No Worries

GREETINGS MY DARLING and BELOVED FRIENDS!!!

How do you do??

Here I am, FINALLY,  returning to the land of the living . . . and feeling so much better than this time last week. Don't you hate how those nasty little bugs can come upon you, really working hard to tear you up? I thought I was a goner last week, but one incredible weekend of friends, chicken soup, and family, was just about all I needed to shake these nasty germs away.

I woke up today feeling . . . fresh, energized, and alive. More than I have in the past few weeks, for sure. I may not be 100% (and have a cough that still sounds pretty nasty). But, what's most important is that my spirit is feeling better, too. After an incredibly restful Friday evening and Saturday (thanks to my dear friend Kathleen and her husband, Mike), and a wonderful chicken soup dinner on Saturday (thanks to another dear friend, Karen), I was able to host our annual Halloween shin-dig yesterday. The good part - it was a BEAUTIFUL day full of good food and Halloween fun. The bad part - I don't think we took many pictures. Not sure what happened, but we kind of . . . forgot. Just too busy "be"ing. You can see a few photos from of the girls over at my sister's blog here, if you wish. (Tell her I said "Hi"!)

All in all, I'm glad to put this most recent bought of nasty cold and cough behind me, and get on with life. . . .

And there seems no better time to do this, than right now.

All of this down time over the last week left me with many many minutes to . . . think. These random thinking moments usually bring up some good blog topics, but this time, my thoughts were a little more serious. This time, I started to think about something I do in my own life that I want to get control of. Something that takes a great deal of energy from me, and causes a great deal of stress in my day.

What is it?

Worry.

You see,  I am a worry wart.

All of the time.

I worry about life. Mine. Yours. Ours.

I worry about my kids. Are they eating enough? Are they learning what is important in life? Am I doing enough to raise them to be good people? Are they focused in school? How can I help them be excellent students? Am I doing enough as their mother? Am I teaching them enough? Are they happy?

I worry about my husband. Is he happy? Is this what he thought his life would be? Is he feeling well today? Is his heart strong? Does he like his job? Does he still love being married?

I worry about money. Will we make it this month? Can we get a pizza for dinner tonight? How much will a new couch cost? Can we swing it before the end of the year? Do we really need it before the end of the year? How many pay days until Christmas?

I worry about my extended family. My mother, my in-laws, my sister and brother-in-law. My brothers and their families. Their health. Their jobs. Their challenges. Their happiness.

I worry about my house. The laundry. The pile of dishes that find themselves waiting quietly for me at the end of a busy day. The windows that need washing. The siding that could use a good cleaning. The lawn furniture that needs to be covered and moved aside before colder weather is upon us. I wish there were more hours of the day. But something tells me that if the days grew in time, I wouldn’t necessarily get more things done. I probably would just have more hours to worry.

Often I find myself driving down the road lost in the thoughts of my own worries. . . I know that it is happening, because when I glance up to check my rear view mirror, I catch a look of my own reflection and see that little wrinkle between my eyebrows starring right back at me. It's the worry wrinkle. I usually try and iron it down with my thumb. But them I'm just a strange lady driving with her thumb on her forehead.

What drives me really most crazy about the whole worrying thing, is that worrying really doesn't solve anything, does it? It certainly doesn't make anything easier.Worrying is exhausting. It takes up way too much energy and often leads to some really unproductive anxiety. Don't get me wrong, I do count my blessings . . . hourly. I am forever grateful for the good I’ve been given in this life of mine. But still, I worry.

However, I do remember a moment in time when I didn’t worry. I remember it very clearly. Our honeymoon. The wedding planning was over, the dress was hung up and put away, the big celebration had come to a close when PG and I hopped a plane to good ol’Key West, Florida. The minute we arrived, we were in our own little heaven. It was glorious. I remember lying at poolside one afternoon when PG looked at me and said, “Honey, you look so relaxed right now. What are you thinking about?” and I said, “Absolutely nothing.” And I remember him telling me that he had never seen me so relaxed and calm and at peace the whole entire time he had known me.

I long to find that place again.  While I know that I can't think of "nothing" very often, I sure wish I could find that peace inside.

Friday night, when my dear friend took my kids and told me to rest and "not to worry about anything", I found that place. It was wonderful. I like it there.

So, I’ve decided to start a new journey. A peaceful journey. As we approach the last two months of 2010, I am giving it up. My new motto? NO WORRIES. I think it's a great time of year to bring this to the front of my days, as the holiday season usually brings up a whole new set of worries. But this year, I'm taking a break from the worries.

Want to join me?

I think it’s going to be a wonderful time, don’t you? No Worries. At all.

Comments

  1. So very glad you are feeling better and back! Oh yes, that moment of "not worrying"...if you find that place, do let me know how to get there. I need a trip there as well. In the meantime, it's nice to know that I am in good company! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea to me! I guess many people start to stress out and worry at this time of year so this is the perfect time to relax a little and learn how to visualize a happy place and time.

    Glad you are feeling better-drink lots of hot tea to help with that cough!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sing it sister! I am always on a quest for peace of mind. The most relaxed I have EVER felt was in Egypt. Unfortunately, both my heart and my man are still there. ;-) Bravo on making it back into the land of the living.

    PS - I am fine, thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back!! Sounds to me that your "No Worries" mantra sounds similar to "Peace". No???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're feeling better!
    No worries? That would be lovely! Even if just for one day....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea!!!! So hard for a worrywart (I'm one too) not to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a worrying, too. I come by it naturally of course...my Mom and Grandma were the Queens of Worry Wart Land!!

    Sooooo happy to have you here, in your place back for us to read your wonderful words of wisdom. I love your words. They inspire me so.

    Here's to worry free days and peaceful nights:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! Nice to have you back and glad you're feeling better! If you discover the secret to not worrying, please do share! I'd love to know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, we went to the Keys for our honeymoon too.

    Second of all, you know what I read this morning? "A righteous man will have no fear of bad news."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oo. I don't know if I could join you for your worry-free month. I'd be a nervous wreck! I like to makes lists of everything I worry about because really my biggest concern is that I'll forget to worry about something. Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're feeling better. No worries is the best way to live. I don't always achieve it but I really do try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear you're feeling better. I so hear you about going to that place where worry doesn't exist. I, too, remember those days. These days it's all about worry in my house...Sometimes I long for those simpler, single, carefree days. I never knew how good I had it back then! But then I wouldn't have my girls and my hubby and all the rest. Someday I may look back on these days and think, gee, I really had it all going on, didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Imagine me whistling in the background as you read these classic lyrics...

    Here's a little song i wrote,
    you might want to sing it note for note,
    don't worry, be happy

    in every life we have some trouble,
    when you worry you make it double
    don't worry, be happy

    dont worry be happy now
    dont worry be happy
    dont worry be happy
    dont worry be happy
    dont worry be happy
    aint got no place to lay your head,
    somebody came and took your bed,
    don't worry, be happy

    ...cuz when you worry, your face will frown,
    and that will bring everybody down,
    so don't worry, be happy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too have been sick...its kicked my butt and noone in this house feels sorry for me or cares...they just want dinner...lol
    I found myself rubbing my worry line as I was reading this! I am with you sister! I worry that I can't stop but I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Life is too short to worry it away, something I have learnt as I get older. Take a look at this blog
    http://optimaloptimist.blogspot.com/
    You just might find it helps!
    Some worrying is natural we all do it, but too much will make you ill :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do want to join you! I've been so caught up in worries lately that I almost crossed over to the dark side! I prefer the sunny side of the street, you know? Great post, love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!