Being Brave

A few weeks ago, I was presented with a really wonderful medal of honor. "The Bravery Pin".

And it was presented to me by Katie, Ella and their Grandma Lill.

I have to share it with you . . . it's quite remarkable . . . and it was made by Ella and Grandma.


The reason I was granted this lovely award . . . for being Brave.

For fishing this summer (when I really am not a 'fish and worms' sort of girl), for gardening (when I really am not a 'dirt between the nails' sort of girl), for digging up the garden at the end of the season (when I really am not a 'icky rotten bug eaten tomatoes' sort of girl), and for killing a nasty spider in our basement (when I really am not a 'nasty spider' sort of girl, AT ALL.).

So the girls decide that I deserved something in recognition of the things I did outside of my comfort zone this summer.

My Bravery Pin.

The other day, while cleaning the house, I wore my pin.

And when reading a homework assignment with Katie about spiders (with actual photos of spiders in the book), I wore my pin.

When doing our household bills this past weekend, I wore my pin.

And when rescuing a lady bug and setting her free outside, I wore my pin.

This pin has turned into quite the symbol to me, and my daughters. After Ellie's recent visit to the pediatrician, it was determined she needs eye drops for the sinus infection that is working its way through her beautiful blue eyes. Ella is not a fan of eye drops. As a matter of fact, the mere mention of them sends my little 3 1/2 year old into a tizzy. But the Bravery Pin has come in handy, because dear Ella will hold it in her hands every so gently, as Mommy and Daddy put the medicine in her eyes. It wasn't that easy in the beginning, but now we have it down to a science.

While this pin has brought even more courage to all of us, what I think is most amazing about it is the fact that we recognize our fears, and work together at conquering them. Whether its spiders, wiggly worms, or eye drops . . . I'm so proud of my girls for their bravery, and I'm so grateful for my Bravery Pin.

Do you have anything in your home that you refer to when need some extra strength? Feel free to share in the comments . . . I'd love to know.

Comments

  1. What a sweet story! My kids are older now, but when they were little they had these hand-made blankets that went with them EVERY where, and when they fell apart, we took a little piece of the fabric for them to have & hold on to. Evenutally they grew, and the fabric deteriorated...sad day! For me personally, a cup of hot tea in my favorite mug and my Bible give me great comfort and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is that??? It gives me the warm fuzzies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love that you got this pin!!! Will you wear it when you help me clean out my closet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious story, and so excited that you received such a sweet pin! I know you will always smile when you wear it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's darling! A while back I did the Avon walk for breast cancer without training. Consequently my feet bled and bled and were torn up and wrapped up and in really. bad. shape. So I took a picture of them and referred to it when I had to do something scary or unpleasant because almost nothing was harder than walking with shoes full of blood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat!! What a wonderful gift they gave you and so great that you share the bravery behind the pin!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I don't know how you do it girl, but keep it up...spiders and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this ! What a special thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is such a sweet, sweet story leanne. when i need strength? i curl up on the couch with my favorite quilt...i get cozy and think...
    hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I'm frightened, I rush forward to get it over with. In everything - in awkward personal situations, in doctor's visits. I cannot bear to not participate in facing my fears.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful and sweet story:O)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your sweet bravery pin has totally made my day. Your girls (and their Grandma Lill!) are just delightful. I think wearing the pin would make me feel more confident and resilient too. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so, so lovely in so very many ways ... a perfect post to catch up on for Thanksgiving ... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!