The End of the Multi-tasking Diva

Where in the World is my Brain?

Have you seen it?

I seem to have misplaced it recently.

I used to keep better tabs on it, always knowing where it was. I made sure it was easily accessible when needed. But the past few weeks, it’s been on some sort of vacation; however it forgot to take the rest of me with it.

Is it the time-change? (Doesn’t it bother you when people use the time change for an excuse? “Oh, my hip hurts . . . it’s that darn time change!” or “Oh, my coffee is cold . . . darn time change!”) Yeah, that drives me crazy too!

Last week, I missed the deadline for Katie's December "Hot Lunch" order at school . . . and her November Book club order . . . and the RSVP for a breakfast at the school. I had the fliers for each of these activities on the counter, but the days came and went and I missed them. Augh.

During my creative painting evenings last week, I lost a bottle of acrylic paint that I was using just minutes before. It seemed to have walked away. My eyes didn’t see it when it left, and I swore I just had it in my hand. About an hour later, it showed up on the counter in the kitchen, looking at me like I was crazy. I must have moved it there when my scattered brain was multi-tasking. I used to pride myself in my multi-tasking abilities. But now, I’m beginning to think I’m not as good at them as I used to be.

The day after that, I misplaced the instructions to my holiday plastic canvas project. I had them right in front of me, and then all of a sudden . . . poof! Gone. 24 hours later, I discovered them in between the cushions of our love seat (where they slid all the way down to the ground. Both sides of our love seat recline so the pages just fell down between them.) But I swore, I tore our family room apart looking for them (and even looked under the love seat). I couldn’t find them anywhere.

Finally, Monday afternoon I realized I misplaced my debit card. I was in my car, in line at the ATM machine, waiting for my turn. When I opened my wallet to pull out my debit card, the usual place it is housed was empty. Panic quickly came over me and I looked through my purse and found . . . nothing. I pulled out of line and moved to the side of the parking lot, where I then got out of my car and began to look through my car for any sign of debit life (I have a bad habit of placing the card in my visor when in a drive-through, and thought perhaps I put it there.) Let me tell you, I gave passer-by’s a great show of behind as it was stuck up in the air while I my searched under mats and seats, under car seats and stuffed animals. I had just about given up hope . . . and was about to walk inside of the bank to report it lost . . . when I checked one last * * special * * compartment in my purse. There, staring back at me was my debit card. And all of a sudden I remembered placing it there, in a * * special * * place, so I wouldn’t loose it.

Yeah, right. It seemed like a good idea, at the time.

I think it is all to do with trying to do too many things at once (like signing a check and writing out a deposit envelope while at the ATM, or like making dinner and painting at the same time.) I think all of these little episodes of forgetfulness are my brains way of telling me to s--l--o--w  d--o--w--n.

So, effective immediately, I'm taking a break from multi-tasking. I think these recent unsuccessful attempts are a clear sign of  STOPPING THE MADNESS . . . and slowing down.

Just in time for the holidays.

How about you . . . ever feel like you missing your brain? Or is it just me??

Comments

  1. OMG, feel like missing my brain??!!! ALL. THE. TIME. although i have an excuse. i'm post-menopausal...you know, memory loss and all that!!LOL!!
    sorry to say, it doesn't get better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL-THE-TIME. I think I am wired that way. As I was reading your post, I kept thinking to myself - yes, uh huh - I understand. :-) One of the things I would LOVE to learn how to do is take one task - finish it, and move on. That way - the follow up is done, my nerves are not frazzled and everything else can wait.

    Yeah.. I know.. just not wired that way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I'm missing my brain, but I'm always looking for my sunglasses, cell phone, reading glasses and keys.

    I swear my purse is magic. I can look and look in my purse, not find what I'm missing then when I look again it's there...Makes me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha...my son is about to start a therapy for his processing issues using music. I swear...since I have to buy the whole dang thing I'm going to do it to. I have some serious brain deficiencies as of late. And yes...we too forgot the reading breakast...yes..the one where they kept special reading logs for 3 weeks in order to be able to participate in the breakfast!! Can you believe it! Why yes...you can! Just thought I'd commiserate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your brain and my brain are off on a holiday in the Bahamas together, Leanne. I cannot get a thing to stick in the damn thing while it relaxes somewhere on an untouched beach... we'll get there. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely not "just you". I have a feeling that when you hear about those studies that say that you don't accomplish a whole lot more when you multi-task, it's due to these times when your multi-tasking creates "I can't find it" problems.
    This is the "sign" that living in the NOW, living in the moment is a good thing. As Jeff Foxworthy says, "Here's your sign!!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't think I miss my brain too much...it wasn't really around to begin with :)
    Sounds like you need a holiday to recharge those cranial batteries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I am much older than you so get away with calling happenings such as you describe as 'senior moments.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. your smile is very pretty
    i think that can help you get away, te-hee!
    hugs ;-)
    p.s. sorry i realized my old profile was there

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha I think my Brain has been missing since 1990 when i gave birth to my first son!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been there!OH wait! I Am there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brain...whats a brain? This morning while getting the kids out the door for school...I set down my coffee (brain) mug to put on my coat...then I spent 5 stinking mins looking for my coffee mug...looked in the kitchen...to the front room...even checked the bathroom before looking at the end of my left arm that held the Boys' coats...and there it was just out of sight, blocked by the coats...in my stinking hand! No joke. I must of mindlessly picked it up while gathering coats...duh! Thanks for the laugh and making me feel I'm not the only brainless mother in the world. Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Michelle, your story cracked me up! What a great post Leanne. Reading all the comments makes me feel a little more "normal".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leanne, thank you so much for your kind comment about my mom. It has been a difficult time and the worry and everything has really taken a lot out of me. She is still in so much pain and I have been taking care of her. Thank you for being there for me. I really appreciate it! Multitasking used to be something I was great at. I think we all become so exhausted when we become moms, because there is so much that needs to be done and the responsibility is 24/7. Then some of the little things get forgotten. Great post my friend! You are not alone. Have a great night!

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your brain is out with my brain having a good time. Don't worry--they are having a good time together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, though I never felt that way until Maddie was born. That's when i lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey...you! Where'd you go girlie? I'm missing my dose of Leanne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Leanne! Silly girl....I betcha that little elf, Ella had your paint! Or it could have been the time change....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!