I really do prefer to "Play Nice"

It’s so hard to keep a positive outlook on life when people get in the way, don’t you think? Sometimes I wonder if I would be happy all of the time - if I lived in a secluded part of the world, just me, my Katie and my Ella (oh, and my blog friends. I’d have to take you guys with us.) Yes, I think we’d all be pretty happy.

I had a cranky day today, which I find really frustrating since I’ve been trying so hard to live a "happy life". Today, situations outside of my control made me very aggravated. I felt like I was in the middle in a bunch of "not nice games" all day long. Not fun games (like Yahtzee or Uno.) No, these were "not nice games". I don’t like playing “not nice games". I prefer to play nice.

So, I was in a foul mood for most of the day.

Sitting at my desk at work, I could feel my eyebrows slanting down towards the middle of my face, and the frown lines taking shape on the sides of my mouth. I could feel the tension in my shoulders and neck, and I felt the blood pressure rise (that’s never a good thing.) It was almost as if people didn’t realize that I’m "living a happy life." Maybe I need to send a big ol'mass mailing out to every person in the world, advising, “Listen, folks. Leanne is living a Happy Life. Don’t mess with her.”

I’ll have to work on that.

I knew today was going to be an off day. It started as I walked Katie to the bus this morning. One of the neighborhood kids ran far ahead of his mom and quickly crossed the street to the bus stop without looking both ways. He came within just a few feet of a car heading in his direction. Luckily, the approaching car was moving slowly and cautiously, so the driver was able to stop well in advance of any tragedy. I could see it happening though, and when the little boy arrived to my side, I warned him that he really could have been hurt badly and he needs to be mindful of the road and make sure to look both ways before crossing. The boy, who usually is o.k. with me, turned and said, "I'm not talking to you." and turned his back towards me.

I'm not a fan of spankings, but have you ever wanted to haul off and smack somebody before?

Right then and there, I knew that this was going to be a challenging day.

Yet I would not let this 6-yr old get the best of me!!! I said, "Excuse me???" just as his mother made it to the group. After being scolded by his mom, I received dirty looks from the little crapper (affectionate term, of course) for the remaining 3 minutes, as we waited for the bus. I wanted so badly to stick my tongue out at him, but that really wouldn't have solved anything, would it have? (hmmmm . . . maybe tomorrow.)

My day went from bad to worse, and in my own little mind, I imagined sticking my tongue out to 4 or 5 people throughout the day. Augh.

I'm really trying to live a happy life.

I came home to this . . .


And for the first time all day, I felt . . . happy. Really happy.

How do you pull yourself out of a cranky mood, when you really don’t want to be in one?

Comments

  1. Never one to shy away from what I want to say, let me first say I love the pix of the girls. How can one not be happy looking at them!?!?!
    And, in my humble opinion, that little crapper told you he wasn't talking to you because he just had the poop scared outta him and that was his only way of dealing with it. That kid realized that he coulda been a goner, but didn't know how to process it any other way.
    SO if that is true (and aren't I always right, Leanne????) then you did, in essence, stick your tongue out at him!!!! And you were SUCH an adult about it!!! How nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad moods happen to good people...That's all there is too it!

    I like to take a hot bubble bath in my garden tub with lit scented candles when I need to unwind.

    Love the picture of the girls!! They are so dang cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those days can just start off SO bad! But you had the best way to end it...those smiles are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your girls are beautiful, just like you...really. You have an amazing smile Leanne! And personally, I probably *would* have stuck my tongue out at that little boy. lol

    Like you, my kids definitely pull me out of my "moods", but I don't have them with me every day, so when they aren't there hot tea and a good book in my bed under a quilt make me feel much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i go in a closet, stomp my feet, yell and scream and then i feel better. works really well! lol!
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make myself sing and dance. Just as stupidly as possible. There's nothing like catching my nerdy dance moves in the mirror as I'm belting out Bootylicious Vinyl.

    Here's to a rockin' Wednesday to make up for your sub-par Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg!! I wanted to stick my tongue out at the little snot too. I can't believe the mom had the nerve to scold you. She obviously wasn't paying attention to her son, nor taught her son about manners and respect. I am however very happy you had such sweet angels to go home to and lift your spirits. Hugs my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must be something in the air. ;-) How do I pull myself out? Blogging, FB, Coffee, and lots of laughs. And my absolute FAVORITE thing - when no one is here, putting on my favorite high heels, turn on my ipod - and singing at the top of my lungs and dancing all around the house. Yes, it's weird - but it works for me. LOL

    (PS - that kid needs a really good spanking!) Smile my dear friend... smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blogging,Fb and my art, reading or watching Ellen...I could go on:O) Lots of good vibes ur way:O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate. I pull out a bar of "I need it, calorie and guilt free (for today), savor the moment, take a deep breath and move on" brand of chocolate.

    If that bar doesn't work I try another one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In answer to your question think happy thoughts if possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Sunshine SAHM...chocolate :) Failing that, phone a funny friend...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watch Ellen or another tv show that I know I can not help but laugh and smile at when it is on. Other times I take a nice long walk. My life is one big cranky day any more and I hate it. But I feel stuck, do not know what to do to change the whole thing...but moments I can, I grasp onto them.

    If I could live on an island,no people to really deal with, no bills to have piling up, no landlord threatening eviction , grow my food and just have my loved ones and internet LOL so I can chat with my friends, I would be happy all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. With that smiling face, how could anyone stay cranky?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know of people who call it their "Happy Place" and will say things like, "You are now in my Happy Place and if you continue with this behavior it will ruin my Happy Place, and you really don't want to do that." Somehow that manage to get that out still sounding happy. Or somewhat happy. Anyway, the kid knows that if he/she persists the Happy Place will go away and this woman will turn into full on snarky. So, I am not sure that really helped, but I think everyone wants to have a "Happy Place" and are entitled to ask for it. Make that insist on it. In any event, you can always try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sometimes just acknowledging the bad mood and embracing it for a minute will make it pass. I find that if I ignore a bad mood and try to pretend it's not there, it doesn't go away nearly as fast.

    By the way, I love the Fall inspiration in your blog design right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh honey do I ever! But I got this great comment in the middle of my pissy mood and all was well :) Thanks for that btw!
    p.s. you should of smacked that kid, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i play with Natasha. She's always full of smiles and happiness and mischief.
    I'm sorry your day sucked, it's a challenge, living a happy life, but it's more than possible!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Days like this can play havoc with a good attitude! Hope things are looking better now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!