24 Hours . . . Have you changed?

I have spent the past 24 hours with eyes glued to my television, watching the rescue of the 33 Chilean miners, as I'm sure so many of you have. With tears in my eyes, and a lump in my throat, I wept as these men, one by one, were brought back to life. As I listened to the words of the miners, and thought about the ordeal they have gone through, I am reminded of the strength of faith.

It seems I've been struggling with religion lately . . . struggling with the church, with where it all fits in my life. I've been thinking about meeting a blog friend to discuss how she fits it in hers. I've been concerned that I'm not doing enough to bring God into our home, and haven't done enough to talk to my children about my beliefs. I've always had "faith", but I've not been very good at practicing my faith. This has weighed heavily on my mind for quite some time. I pray often, but not in a church. I believe in the 10 commandments and try to live my life as they outline. I believe in the word of the Lord, and I believe that someday I will meet Our Savior.

I have rarely written about religion here, because I strongly believe "to each his own" (and, I still do.)

But tonight, I had to write something down.

Tonight, as the last miner was set free, and subsequently 6 rescuers returned to their life above ground, I felt changed. I felt moved by some power so much stronger then that of this world.

For I believe that only God could have saved these men. Only God could have brought them through the past 69 days. I believe that, in the middle of hunger, war, fear and death, the world needed a miracle right about now, and this was it.  

When I put Ella to bed tonight, I talked about the miracle of the miners and about God (which I've done many times before). I told her that many little boys and girls have their Daddy's again, and how God helped get these men to their families. She looked up at me with those big eyes and said, "Mommy . . . Where does God live?" I told her that God lives in our hearts, which is a REALLY CONFUSING answer for a three year old. Then I realized that I've got some work to do.

I'm still struggling with where religion is in my life. But I do know where God is. He is in my heart.
Have you changed? Leave me a comment . . . I'd love to know.

Comments

  1. God is in my heart too. And maybe you'll be surprised - Ella might not have found that thought nearly as confusing as you think!

    In the Bible, there are so many *amazing* stories, it's easy to think that God isn't as involved in our lives as he was in ancient times. Then something like this comes along, and reminds us that He can still work miracles.

    Thanks for your honesty on such a personal subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am changed! It has been incredible to watch how their faith in God has pulled them thru this.
    My explanation to EB would be: You know how you have all that love in your heart for your family? That's God's presence, Sweetie. And as Sunshine SAHM says, she may already get that.
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our hearts is precisely where God needs to be. Watching the rescue was an experience beyond words -- thrilling, heartwrenching ... none of them suffices. I can't imagine their terror, the bond they've formed, their relief, the difficulty in adjusting back to "normal" life; there is so much waiting for them that could be just as overwhelming as the past 69 days. I heard just a bit of a report that one of the wives felt there was something significant about recurrences of the number 33 -- the number of miners and other factors I don't remember -- being tied to Jesus having been 33 when he was crucified. And truly, how else can one explain this other than to call it a miracle???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh No - I tried to post a comment and it did not take.

    It was a looong one also.

    In a nutshell - what I was trying to say - THIS is a beautiful post. I think that the inspiration you took from this is exactly what God intended. You were inspired, and in turn - you passed that inspiration on to others. And that's all it's about it in the end - doing good, believing in good and spreading the love.

    I would suggest you spend a few hours with the girls finding things that inspire you. (Since all inspiration comes from above, anyway - right?) This could be a wonderful, practical way to do and find things that are "blessings" or gifts from God and what a great way to introduce more of that into their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was such a wonderful post! Your answer to Ella was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been praying for these miners every single night since the first day they were trapped and I agree that we only have God to thank for the fact that they are all healthy.

    Wonderful post! I'm new to your blog but I love it. Especially the Halloween theme! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, God is in our hearts and always will be, and is the only reason we sometime get through such adversity.
    I have also been very moved by the Chilean miners, first their ordeal of getting trapped, then their long wait for rescue and finally the euphoria of them getting out! I think their lives and those of their loved ones will never be the same again, not least in the glaring public eye.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also tell M that Jesus lives in our hearts. Every now and then she asks me if she can go to Jesus' house so I don't know if she gets it or not, but it makes me happy that she wants to have a playdate with this buddy that she has never even seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that was just the right answer. In our hearts. God is love. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was changed in that I saw awesome human kindness and love just when I was feeling this world is going to the crapper. I love that line that one miner said ..."I was with God, and I was with the devil. They fought, and God won,"~. Sepulveda. Leanne this is God fighting for YOU. I write a lot about faith that I never post for fear of being seen as a bible freak...but you have inspired me to write one thats been rolling around in my head this week. There is no Joy then the one found in God, he will lift us up and give us rest, we only need to ask.
    OH oh oh ...I have another idea...but you'll have to just wait and see what that is.
    Love you
    OOXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whether one believes in God or Gods or something else altogether, the miner rescue does show the importance of having FAITH, faith in something bigger than ourselves. I don't think witnessing the rescue has changed me but it has reminded me of the importance of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For us, explaining how the Holy Spirit works within us has helped clear up the whole... where exactly is Jesus when he's in our hearts confusion. We talk about being one with God... how we are created by him- just to love him.

    Those little seeds will be planted... and I am so happy that watching this wonderful miracle on tv has brought you to a place of inner reflection and pondering. Let him lead you and guide you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!