The Blasphemy of Laundry

I dislike laundry.

I try to live a happy life and enjoy all of it. But laundry … augh.

I can almost venture to say that I “hate” laundry … and “hate” is a word I really despise. But laundry, I think it might actually warrant a little “hate”.

I can’t figure out where this feeling comes from. My father was the “King of the Laundry Room” in our house. That man had a system, and kept up with it daily (I think even hourly) when I was younger. He could fold like nobody else on this earth … you could bounce a quarter off of his folded sheets (top and bottoms). But I definitely lost out on the laundry gene in my family. Because I do NOT like it AT ALL.

Maybe it’s the socks that mysteriously get eaten up by my machine. Maybe it’s the pure volume of laundry . . . Katie seems to think that I like it, because she SO ENJOYS changing outfits multiple times throughout the day. Phil seems to think I like it, too, because he manages to take all of his clothing off in one full swoop, which means there are surprise socks stuck in between the legs of jeans, and white shirts nestled tightly underneath dress shirts. Maybe it’s the loads that I’ve managed to do with Kleenex left in the pockets that produce millions of tiny pieces of Kleenex floating through the air like a snow storm the minute the dryer door is opened. Or perhaps it’s the loads I’ve done with PG’s chap stick or Vaseline lip therapy left in the pocket, where little wax stains are ultimately produced on MY new shirt (why is it that it’s always my shirt that receives the waxy love?) I’m really not a very good pocket checker … I mean, you never know WHAT might be in Ella’s pockets. She’s a girl, but she likes worms. I’ve got to protect myself a little.

I will admit that I am a MAJOR fan of laundry on days when a $10 bill is forgotten in a pocket here or there … but unfortunately, those days are few and far between (even fewer and farther since the ATM came into play. Darn ATM cards … they’ll be the death of me yet.)

Whatever it is, I have come to accept that laundry is something that will never go away, so I had better come up with some sort of way to deal with it. I remember the day we brought these babies home, not too long ago . . .

I even blogged about them. But I think I expected a miracle, as if these two lovely machines would not only put the laundry in on their own, but hang up the delicates and kindly fold everything else for me. All I would have to do is put everything away in their rightful places. Nope, my fantasy was short lived.

At what age do you think a child can do laundry? I remember that Brady Bunch episode when Bobby does the laundry . . . doesn’t he add, like, a whole box of soap into the machine and overloads it? Yes, I remember . . .
The Brady Bunch . . .image courtesy of TV Land.
No, I’m not ready for that. But my girls . . . hmmm . . . they are very mature. They surely would understand the laundry task, wouldn’t they? Hmmmm . . .

Yes, I hate laundry.

Are there any household tasks that have got you down? Please share in the comments . . . I’d love to know.

Comments

  1. This post stikes a chord with me :) I also hate laundry...in fact I'm obsessed with it! I never, ever keep up with it and will go into over laundry drive when we're about to go on holiday (like right now!). Then I plan, live, dream about laundry and whether I'm going to get it all done in time as EVERYTHING must be clean to pack and even the clothes staying behind must be clean, so the decks are clear for the post vacation laundry!
    I remember my mom being like this and getting very irritated as a kid when life was too much fun to worry about laundry...eeks, I've turned into my mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that having them sort is a GREAT way to teach a little responsibility. Could be a game for them - have them dump their clothes, sort and see who is the fastest?? Then they can help put them clothes in the dryer when the buzzer sounds?

    My laundry (with only two people) gets pretty intense too. But, I actually like laundry. Weird.. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate laundry too! Yes, HATE. Although we are beginning to come to terms with one another.
    Your post is so funny, as it really does encompass everything yuck about it - especially the tissues and chapstick! (I suppose checking pockets should become more of a priority for me....)
    My mom always told me that the only reason you had kids was so that they could work around the house - was that not true???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy do I dislike laundry, too. I mean the actual act of laundry is okay...it's going through the pockets, taking the socks out of the jeans, etc. Also the TOWELS! OMG...my kids only use their towels ONCE a day and even though I tell them they have to use them more often... they don't and I have soooo many TOWELS!!!!!!!!!!

    I also hate picking up our bedroom and putting piles of my papers away because I never know what to do with them!!!

    I remember that Brady Bunch episode:)

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a family of 6 and being the only one that does the wash, I am not a huge fan of laundry. I don't mind most of it but it always seems like I'm doing it and its never done is it....NEVER! I'm with you, lets get the kids started doing it! I'v showed my 12 year old how to do his own, but I never follow through on making him do it. Just easyer not to have the fight, but with girls I bet they would love to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia! I thought Phil Guy loved doing laundry after you purchased the new machines? What happened? Did the novelty wear off for him? You know Katie and Ella are helpers when you ask them - so ask away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind laundry so much, but don't get me started on bathrooms! I thank my lucky stars every day that I married a man who not only knows how to clean a tub and toliet, but will do it without grumbling!

    -Lady Fromage
    http://ladyfromage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you been doing my laundry? Holy Cow your post sounds like my house, execpt for the girls changing of clothes!

    It's the ironing I dislike, but the husband is very grateful and appreciative so I can't complain too much.

    My mom can fold a fitted sheet like no other, except maybe your dad. I just kinda roll mine up, but my mom folds it all flat and tight. Seriously how do you get those rounded corners to lay flat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Lady Fromage. (a sentence I never thought I'd type) Bathrooms will ruin me. Toilets go quickly but showers? Ew! In fact I was just whining in my post yesterday about my hair loss. I could supply Donald Trump with a lifetime of red toupees with the manes in my drains!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We all do our own laundry around our house. Of course, my kiddos are all much older than yours, but the boys have been doing their own laundry since they were 13. We share the task of household items like towels, though. I still hate laundry, AND toilets (don't even get me started on trying to clean the boys' bathroom - gross!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. i don't mind doing the laundry, but it's the folding that drives me batty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah the Kleenex been there done that, such a pain the bits just get everywhere :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a little note! Your words mean so much to me!

Popular posts from this blog

My Dream Home Smash Book

Any Day Now . . .

Hot Off The Presses! A fanTAStic Weekend Treat!